Spotting a fake LV

OP, it sounds as if you should only buy new. I say this because you don't seem to be 100% confident in having an authenticator confirm the status of a bag, so your mind may never be at ease when you buy used.
I have recently learned (via my involvement on the Chanel boards) that some people come onto our forum and try to get help in scamming (ie. to sell fake bags). I was sad to hear this, as I tend to be overly trusting, but I now understand why the purse forum cannot provide things such as a detailed library of close-up pictures.

It's a sad state of affairs, that's for sure. I only own one pre-loved bag and it is a Chanel Cambon. I am 99.9% sure it is authentic but I am not keen on buying secondhand myself. I wonder if there are some buyers who don't actually care it is not real as long as it looks almost real.

Why would counterfeiters 'have a ball'? There are a couple of reasons that I ask:

First one is - surely counterfeiters are buying a sample bag anyway

Secondly, counterfeiters may be able to do superfakes and copy detail closely, but they will never reach the real level of detail from the manufacturer because it would be too expensive.

Having a resource which shows the very intricate detail of a bag wouldn't make it more likely to be copied, only that the counterfeiters would find it more difficult to get away with producing fakes.

I think it is the secrecy that causes an issue in some ways. If people could properly self-authenticate, the fakes would be less.

If superfake counterfeiters are buying sample bags, then they could also take photos of the authentic sample bags. They could use those photos for the listings but mail out superfake bags.
I have seen some superfakes in real life, they can fool my eyes but not my hands. If I were to buy a pre-loved bag, I would go to the store or meet a friend who owns the same style/material to touch the bag first.

If superfake counterfeiters are buying sample bags, then they could also take photos of the authentic sample bags. They could use those photos for the listings but mail out superfake bags.

I have seen some superfakes in real life, they can fool my eyes but not my hands. If I were to buy a pre-loved bag, I would go to the store or meet a friend who owns the same style/material to touch the bag first.

Several posters have mentioned "sample bags".
I wasn't aware that LV did such a thing.
Or do you mean buying a real bag from the store and then making fakes?

I guess you could ask to see the label on the inside and check their previous listings though. If they were all the same, then that ruse would be rumbled.
I would never buy a designer bag without seeing the label anyway.

I guess you could ask to see the label on the inside and check their previous listings though. If they were all the same, then that ruse would be rumbled.
I would never buy a designer bag without seeing the label anyway.

They could easily send pics of an authentic item, then send a fake one in the mail.

On a related note, I have a friend who sold her authentic LV on ebay. The buyer complained to pay pal that the bag wasn't real and pay pal refunded the buyer. The buyer mailed the bag back to my friend but the bag they sent was FAKE! They kept her real bag! My friend filed a complaint with ebay and pay pal but ultimately she wasn't refunded anything other than her listings fees. That terrible buyer got an authentic LV bag for free. There are so many scammers out there. Needless to say my friend has never sold again on ebay.

They could easily send pics of an authentic item, then send a fake one in the mail.

On a related note, I have a friend who sold her authentic LV on ebay. The buyer complained to pay pal that the bag wasn't real and pay pal refunded the buyer. The buyer mailed the bag back to my friend but the bag they sent was FAKE! They kept her real bag! My friend filed a complaint with ebay and pay pal but ultimately she wasn't refunded anything other than her listings fees. That terrible buyer got an authentic LV bag for free. There are so many scammers out there. Needless to say my friend has never sold again on ebay.

So sorry that happened. Ebay and paypal are not known to be on the sellers side when it comes to scams like this which is why I no longer sell on Ebay.

My friend sold an authentic designer bag and someone accused her of it being fake even though she had the Niemen Marcus receipt. The item ended up being sent back and thankfully it was the actual bag, this was a case of buyers remorse.

Sorry, I misunderstood, so this comment...
"Yes, the consumer of pre-owned bags would benefit from such a bank of information. But the Louis Vuitton consumer would not"

What you meant was:
"Yes, the consumer of pre-owned bags would benefit from such a bank of information. But the Louis Vuitton consumer [who only ever buys new and never sells] would not"

Is that right? There can't be that many of them.

Actually, I'd say that applies to the majority of luxury consumers.