Splurging on bags, penny pinching elsewhere?

Manelieht

Apr 1, 2014
I am wondering if I am the only one. I really do not spend much money on anything but bags.

No expensive clothing, jewelry, cosmetics, no trips to any salons or Spas. I don't go out a lot either aside from occasional small sightseeing trips.
There are lots of things I feel I don't need in life, like expensive furniture (Ikea is fine) or even a dish washer/ dryer (I prefer washing dishes myself and hanging laundry to dry!)...

But then with purses I am willing to spend much more than on anything else. I never felt I am wasting my money since they are all well cared for, rotated...I never regret a purchase either. I value my little collection. I personally don't spend thousands, but it also isn't within my price range. I am not wealthy and find great purses for a bit less too.

Anyone else?

Very few can splurge on everything.
And most have family history/baggage/lessons, to prevent them splurging in certain areas.
Usually out of guilt or shame.

I own 9 bags. Not 250. This is not to prove some frugal ideal is best.
But because I don't need more than 9. Yet.
All were bought new & are what most people consider "wasteful pricey." Meh.
Stop texting, whilst smoking, & just drive the car--then judge my life choices.

I don't vacation to shop. Usually wear waterproof gear under trees, or wander through back alleys with camera & eat street vendor foods--various countries.
Because this is fun for me. More fun than cruises or luxury tour packages, which I avoid as plague.

I could not live without dishwasher. Would die, stone cold gone.
Everything goes in dishwasher--even things marked "not dishwasher safe."
Not all items survive. But, I consider this their own fault for being weak.

I save in other areas, too. But won't discuss on public forum.
Term, "eccentric" should cover majority & provide nice mental image. ;)
In the war of "keeping up with the Joneses," my father told me, " Best to BE the Joneses." Wise words.
----
Op--congrats on baby bump. Saw blog. :smile:

I rarely even splurge on bags. I try to find ones I want for a great price, preloved. If I splurge, I have to pinch somewhere else; clothes, travel or cosmetics.

Hobbies that don't require money are very rare; bags are one of my hobbies and that's why I'm ready to spend money on them. I fund my bag hobby partly by selling at a good price, many times higher than I've paid.

Very few can splurge on everything.
And most have family history/baggage/lessons, to prevent them splurging in certain areas.
Usually out of guilt or shame.

I own 9 bags. Not 250. This is not to prove some frugal ideal is best.
But because I don't need more than 9. Yet.
All were bought new & are what most people consider "wasteful pricey." Meh.
Stop texting, whilst smoking, & just drive the car--then judge my life choices.

I don't vacation to shop. Usually wear waterproof gear under trees, or wander through back alleys with camera & eat street vendor foods--various countries.
Because this is fun for me. More fun than cruises or luxury tour packages, which I avoid as plague.

I could not live without dishwasher. Would die, stone cold gone.
Everything goes in dishwasher--even things marked "not dishwasher safe."
Not all items survive. But, I consider this their own fault for being weak.

I save in other areas, too. But won't discuss on public forum.
Term, "eccentric" should cover majority & provide nice mental image. ;)
In the war of "keeping up with the Joneses," my father told me, " Best to BE the Joneses." Wise words.
----
Op--congrats on baby bump. Saw blog. :smile:
I penny pinch so hard my fingers bleed! Trust me, I know how to save $$$$ and do so on a regular basis.
I own a total of 8 bags at the moment and each was chosen quite carefully due to size/color/function, etc.
To say that I'm a careful shopper (not an impulsive one) would be a gross understatement.

While I adore my bags I also adore my family and their needs, my home, and other fluffs around my home when $$ permits. We're fortunate to live in a beautiful state so when we get to have time off we have affordable places to stay/have fun (my sister and her dh live in a resort town..yay!).

I feel blessed to have what I have and have had most of the same furniture for 30+ years. Because it was chosen wisely, and most are antiques, they're holding up like iron. I prefer to change out my accessories rather than my furniture.

You are not alone OP, great topic!

<Sorry, didn't mean to quote you silly, must be force of habit>

I spend plenty on some clothes/shoes but equally enjoy trawling through charity shops (goodwill stores) for items for just a few pounds,I love them just the same. The same with bags, some Hermes new from the store, some amazing quality examples picked up at antique fairs for not so much because no one remembers the maker's name anymore. Big diamonds do nothing for me but I can spend a pretty penny on a beautiful 1920s enamel ring. I don't have a car but I do spend a lot of money on commuting by train.

Cosmetics, I have. I only need to replace very occasionally. I'm not sucked into spending a fortune on skincare, I've found things that work for me and some are super cheap, including cucumber slices for eye-masks.

Every salons or spa treatment has been either a disaster or totally disappointing so me neither.

I go to museums and galleries all the time but usually after work to keep the fares down. I've scaled right down on meals out, but I did treat DBF to afternoon tea today in a posh tea room :biggrin:. I think it's good to have memories of nice occasions but they don't have to cost.

The furniture I like is usually cheaper than Ikea and it's mostly antique or vintage, hooray that so many people find handmade solid wood antiques so repulsive!

I don't have a dishwasher, bad for my china - or a dryer - bad for my clothes.

I do spend money on my house though, old houses need constant repair :yes: :girlsigh: but so worth it for the high ceilings and features

I think people just need to know what represents value to them

I spend plenty on some clothes/shoes but equally enjoy trawling through charity shops (goodwill stores) for items for just a few pounds,I love them just the same. The same with bags, some Hermes new from the store, some amazing quality examples picked up at antique fairs for not so much because no one remembers the maker's name anymore. Big diamonds do nothing for me but I can spend a pretty penny on a beautiful 1920s enamel ring. I don't have a car but I do spend a lot of money on commuting by train.

Cosmetics, I have. I only need to replace very occasionally. I'm not sucked into spending a fortune on skincare, I've found things that work for me and some are super cheap, including cucumber slices for eye-masks.

Every salons or spa treatment has been either a disaster or totally disappointing so me neither.

I go to museums and galleries all the time but usually after work to keep the fares down. I've scaled right down on meals out, but I did treat DBF to afternoon tea today in a posh tea room :biggrin:. I think it's good to have memories of nice occasions but they don't have to cost.

The furniture I like is usually cheaper than Ikea and it's mostly antique or vintage, hooray that so many people find handmade solid wood antiques so repulsive!

I don't have a dishwasher, bad for my china - or a dryer - bad for my clothes.

I do spend money on my house though, old houses need constant repair :yes: :girlsigh: but so worth it for the high ceilings and features

I think people just need to know what represents value to them
YES emphatically to everything you've said but especially "I think people just need to know what represents value to them"......after all, it's your money to spend how you see fit.

In my old corporate life, I used to spend big on spa packages like facials, massages and nails, eating out, vacations and luxuries like that.

I haven't been to a spa in a couple of years. I step foot into a hair salon twice a year to sort out my rat's nest of a overgrown hair style and let the stylist tut away, I don't care, haha. I actually don't miss that stuff. I think a lot of it was to cope with high stress levels... It helps that I moved away from a big city that was more showy and materialistic to a smaller one that's more artsy and individualistic. Now I live a pretty low key, penny pinching life (except for collecting bags) and I like it.

I have a tiny car and lots of thrift shop clothes but I love shoes and a good haircut/color. I couldn't care less about my finger nails as long they're clean and I paint my own toenails.

Now I have a few home repairs to deal with, but hope to travel more In a few years.

I am pretty frugal when it comes to bags in comparison to many on tpf. But I certainly understand the appeal of many expensive bags.

Like remainsilly, I can't imagine going a cruise or a luxury tour package, but to each his/her own.

I am pretty frugal when it comes to bags in comparison to many on tpf. But I certainly understand the appeal of many expensive bags.

I am similar, overall i am very much an informed budget buyer.. i hate overpaying for things and research even on groceries lol.

Furniture, i do look in antique malls and stick to investing in solid wood pieces that will outlast me. :lol:

Purses and SLG are MY splurge and will happily admit to it.

I have a tiny car and lots of thrift shop clothes but I love shoes and a good haircut/color. I couldn't care less about my finger nails as long they're clean and I paint my own toenails.

Now I have a few home repairs to deal with, but hope to travel more In a few years.

Like remainsilly, I can't imagine going a cruise or a luxury tour package, but to each his/her own.

+1 thrift store clothes & not giving a f*** about fingernails.
I envy you the coordination to paint own toenails, without destroying patches of carpet or staining furniture. ;) Mine stay boring, but safe. :biggrin:

+1 thrift store clothes & not giving a f*** about fingernails.
I envy you the coordination to paint own toenails, without destroying patches of carpet or staining furniture. ;) Mine stay boring, but safe. :biggrin:
It's really best to try to paint toenails with an overactive kitty nearby....that way you may end up with a really original pedi!!!!!

I am wondering if I am the only one. I really do not spend much money on anything but bags.

No expensive clothing, jewelry, cosmetics, no trips to any salons or Spas. I don't go out a lot either aside from occasional small sightseeing trips.
There are lots of things I feel I don't need in life, like expensive furniture (Ikea is fine) or even a dish washer/ dryer (I prefer washing dishes myself and hanging laundry to dry!)...

But then with purses I am willing to spend much more than on anything else. I never felt I am wasting my money since they are all well cared for, rotated...I never regret a purchase either. I value my little collection. I personally don't spend thousands, but it also isn't within my price range. I am not wealthy and find great purses for a bit less too.

Anyone else?

+1

i consider myself a major minimalist and spend virutally no money on anything but bags and vacations. that's it. so, i carry my Chanel/LV/Bal while hanging out in walmart or the goodwill store. i am thrifty about everything but bags and 'make do' with anything else but my handbags:smile: i never had an obsession for anything else but bags, thankfully. i can't imagine indulging in bags + jewelry + shoes + clothes. i'd be bankrupt.

Agreed. The "free" kitten has proven most expensive & chaotic member of household.
For almost 12 years, now.
Almost as bad as me. ;)
Ah yes, I have very fond memories of my 2 overactive kitties reaching ceiling height while playing......if only there were cat olympics!!
Definitely need to keep a watchful eye on those rascals;)

I've been really curious about how you guys define "expensive clothes" etc. I usually only buy sale items, I bought two skirts yesterday, $7 and $25. And basically I only buy clothes priced like these.

For bags, I own three bags now. Two valued $100 and one lv mini pochette. I buy a gift for myself around Xmas every year. The mini pochette is the gift I bought myself few weeks ago.

I have some good skincare or makeup products: 3 of them valued more than $100 each, and the rest less than $20.