spin-off: Are there any Jo Malone frangrances that are UNpopular or NOT liked?

nottalotta

O.G.
Oct 9, 2006
TX
I have yet to try my first Jo Malone scent, but from the other thread, it seems like there are so many JM scents that liked.

Are there any that are wildly UNpopular? Then I can avoid those. :nuts:

maineiac

Mainer in exile.
O.G.
Mar 1, 2008
Jax
I have yet to try my first Jo Malone scent, but from the other thread, it seems like there are so many JM scents that liked.

Are there any that are wildly UNpopular? Then I can avoid those. :nuts:
I was really excited to try Jo Malone products and ordered the Nordstrom JM Fragrance Combining Set (Nordie's exclusive). It came with: Orange Blossom Cologne, Grapefruit Scented Travel Candle, Lime Basil and Mandarin Bath Oil, and Pomegranate Noir Body Creme.

I thought that the Pomegranate Noir was vile! :sick: It was way too strong for me and I couldn't detect the pomegranate in it at all. Very disappointing!

The Grapefruit was meh and Lime Basil & Mandarin wasn't very appealing. Neither scent really smelled citrusy to me, just more of a sharp bitter scent.

The only one in the bunch that I liked was Orange Blossom. It really did smell like the fresh blossoms here in Florida. :love:

I didn't keep the set, but gifted to my sister who's fragrance preferences are very different from mine. If you can't get to a Jo Malone counter to sniff for yourself (there aren't any near me) then I think getting a sampler is the best way to go. I really thought I'd like all of the scents included, but was sadly mistaken. :hrmm:

tortoiseperson

ReMember
Jul 16, 2010
London-ish
I used to have a thing for Lime Basil Mandarin many years ago, but now find it too strong. I also hated Pomegranate Noir even though a friend recommended it to me. Grapefruit was nice as a body cream. I quite like the sound of the Nectarine/Honey but haven't tried it yet; overall I do think they are somewhat overhyped. I think her "invention" of layering different fragrances is a bit of a giant con to sell twice as much product: a properly developed scent should be complete in itself and combining with another would just make for a horrible clash and spoil both.

thepoppet

wind sylph
Jul 25, 2010
Upon a Zephyr High
I think I may be the only one who doesn't like JM scents at all. I've never found one I liked.. they're not subtle to me, they don't mix well with my skin chemistry at all. I have a friend who wears them and they smell great on her. But on me they smell like chemicals and really cheap. And it happens with every scent I've tried. (There must be something in the distillation process that doesn't suit my skin chemistry.)

xikry5talix

kry5tal...get it?!:]
O.G.
Jan 3, 2006
I think I may be the only one who doesn't like JM scents at all. I've never found one I liked.. they're not subtle to me, they don't mix well with my skin chemistry at all. I have a friend who wears them and they smell great on her. But on me they smell like chemicals and really cheap. And it happens with every scent I've tried. (There must be something in the distillation process that doesn't suit my skin chemistry.)
This is the case with me as well. I though I would like the nectarine one but I hated it. I ended up giving it to one of my girlfriends!

thepoppet

wind sylph
Jul 25, 2010
Upon a Zephyr High
This is the case with me as well. I though I would like the nectarine one but I hated it. I ended up giving it to one of my girlfriends!
Hah! I had the same thing with the Orange Blossom. In the bottle, it smells exactly like orange blossom, so how can it go wrong. And on my friend it smelled sweet and lovely and subtle. On me? It smelled like a cloud of chemical grandma drugstore perfume! I was embarrassed to walk around with that cloud surrounding me all day!