Sphynx Owners

I feel bad for them because they are an artificially produced 'breed', created for the vanity and amusement of humans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphynx_(cat)

The parts about the deaths of the kittens and the convulsions in the females was heartbreaking........those poor things :sad:

I believe the convulsions they're speaking about are due to the genetic heart condition, HCM. A responsible breeder is careful not to breed cats that have this condition. I know mine has her cats scanned every year to prevent breeding the ones that have it.

Almost every breed of dog or cat would be considered "artificial" and created for the vanity and amusement of humans. Isn't that why we have pets? Children? Maybe not necessarily for vanity reasons, but pets and children are both sources of amusement, along with love, companionship, etc.

ETA: I got a sphynx because I'm very allergic to cats. Cat hair is a trigger for my allergies and when it gets in my face, my allergies start to bother me. I'm still allergic to my sphynx, but I don't have to worry about the hair getting all in my face, so my allergies are much more manageable.

Last edited:
leasul2003 said:
I've never been a huge fan of the "bald kitty" look, but your baby has converted me. She is absolutely adorable! She's very photogenic.

Aww, thank you! They aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I'm glad you've been converted!

Is it true that their ears need heavy cleaning and that they stain furniture from oily residue on their skin? I read that somewhere and have never been able to ask an actual owner of one, to know if it's exaggerated drama, or reality.

I think it depends on the cat. Some cats are more oily than others. If you cut down on their bathing, that can help a lot. My cat isn't very oily at all, but we only give her a bath about once a month. In between baths, we wipe her down with baby wipes. Their ears do get pretty dirty, though - or mine does, anyway. You can clean those with baby wipes, too, and get the more difficult stuff with cotton swabs.

I've considered taking her to the groomers for her regular bath and ear cleaning, but nobody is willing to give me a discount. She doesn't have fur! I think I should at least get 25% off! lol.

Last edited: