spending money on an LV stupid??

I wouldn't dare tell me mom how much my bag cost. I would never hear the end of it. She is of the generation where you could only buy the necessities. She goes through my Goodwill bags and takes things out and wears them (it's hysterical to see a 78 year old woman in leggings), patches up bath towels, etc. So yes, I feel guilty knowing how much they struggled. But then the selfish side of me comes out and says "what the heck!"

Noisette said:
Wow, I think the only thing you should feel bad about is what a rude relative you have.

Everyone has his/her own thing they enjoy that doesn't necessarily make perfect sense. This relative pointed out landscaping, well that could be a waste to someone else. Some comments come from jealousy, some from inferiority, some from plain rudeness. Ignore all that aren't positive!

Enjoy not only your bag, but that your husband gave you such a wonderful gift. And think about it, he chose a true GIFT, one with no practical purpose. Just something to please you. That's where the real value lies.

I totally agree!!!

jello_1955 said:
I wouldn't dare tell me mom how much my bag cost. I would never hear the end of it. She is of the generation where you could only buy the necessities. She goes through my Goodwill bags and takes things out and wears them (it's hysterical to see a 78 year old woman in leggings), patches up bath towels, etc. So yes, I feel guilty knowing how much they struggled. But then the selfish side of me comes out and says "what the heck!"

Agree! I don't tell my mother or my grandmother how much the bags cost nor do I tell my mother how much money I make.....it's just never good......My grandma doesn't live close, I just visited her and used my mandarin epi speedy, she complimented me on it and asked me if it was from TJ MAXX, I LOVE that she has no idea what it is and how much it costs......

I am sure I am goint to echo what everyone has already said here, but she can go :censor: off! Seriously. It's your money and you can do with it what you please. You could buy eons of things (and some of them not so healthy or legal), and your husband was a SWEETIE and got you something that made you happy. Hooray for you AND him! I also collect fashion dolls, and part of the thrill and enjoyment of collecting them was finding one of a kind goodies on eBay or through dealers who specialized in making unique items for the dolls (case in point: mink coat for a doll? Yep I have one! ;) ). And I would hear the same thing. "You spent how much on a doll?" "That doll has nicer clothes than you!" Personally, I think she is just a tad bit jealous. If it were me, I would distance myself from her...I know you said she was a close relative, but you also don't need that type of negativity in your life. So girl, go out there and enjoy your new beautiful bag!!

misslola said:
So I was enjoying my very first (and probably only) LV bag (cabas Piano) gift from my husband, when a very close relative informed me that he as an "idiot" for spending money on that, and if he wanted to waste his money she had plenty of other ideas on how to do it! Mainly landscaping, etc (which we have plenty already). Needless to say, these comments sucked a little of the joy right out of me. Do any of you ladies get this?? I do feel shallow and small now.

Noisette said:
Wow, I think the only thing you should feel bad about is what a rude relative you have.

Everyone has his/her own thing they enjoy that doesn't necessarily make perfect sense. This relative pointed out landscaping, well that could be a waste to someone else. Some comments come from jealousy, some from inferiority, some from plain rudeness. Ignore all that aren't positive!

Enjoy not only your bag, but that your husband gave you such a wonderful gift. And think about it, he chose a true GIFT, one with no practical purpose. Just something to please you. That's where the real value lies.

I agree with this post and all the others...so well said!! :wlae:

Noisette said:

Totally agree. Just ignore your rude realtive. It was uncalled for, for them to tell your husband how to spend his money.

The same thing happened to me over the weekend when my I bought my Duomo. My friend was with me and he was like 'I would never spend that much money on a purse.' Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on how they want to spend their own money, not others.

OOOOHHHH! You've got a great hubby! He's a good man, I give him my thumbs up! haha As for wasting money on LV....True, i do agree with some ppl for saying that cuz sometimes I look back and I'm like: WOW! I spent this much on just a few items?!?!?!?! *faint* But then again, life is short, so what the heck right? If I like soemthing, I'll get it cuz L'Oreal says "Because you're worth it" lol! I personally know some friends of mine whose parents are over the top with saving money. So they have this big stash of money in their bank ready to be carried with them til they die...or some of them want to save it for their children. Well I say that their children need to WORK HARD themselves and NOT rely on their parents! All in all, do whatever you want with your $$$, spend it wisely, but foremost spend it happily!

Also, at first I was really scared to tell my parents about my LV bags and how much they cost (it's all my own money by the way), but later, my parents let it go after knowing the truth. My mom originally tattle-taled to my grandmother for the way I spend money, and I'm proud to say that my grandmother said: "Aww, let her! She deserves it!" which ironically shut my mom up, so now she doesn't pester me no more! haha

Buy about 10 really cheap bags every year for the next twenty years and add it up and you could have had some really great vuittons that lasted for 20 years and even SAVED money.

But, alotta people don't understand that, but you all do

Noisette said:

Gosh, noisette, you are so right. I use to hear all kinds of bs from my sister and sister in laws about everything that I collect:hysteric: I just ignore them. My dh doesn't care, so really why should they? When I started collecting handbags, the comments never stopped, like "do you really need that", "wow, does your dh know", and "I would never spend $1000 on a bag". Well ladies guess what, I was able to convert those girls into LV and Chanel loving people. I talked my sister into buying a LV Hudson, and 2 Chanel tote bags. My sister in law, the one that commented "I would never pay $1000 on a bag", well she paid over $1200 for her Chanel tote bag, and also she bought a LV popincourt. I just smile now when I see them with their bags:yes: . Oh and btw, I've been :banned: from shopping with my sis and my niece. My bil says that I'm a bad influence:shame:.

You know I was thinking, what do you think your relative would do if you bought a little LV item for everyone on christmas, and got her something else? I bet she'd be jealous that she didn't get an LV item as well! But then if she confronted you and got mad then you can always say "you thought LV was a waste of money, so I got you a sensible gift." If I had enough money...and enough meaness in my I'd try that on someone that gave me a mean comment like that, just to see if they'd be true to their word...although I probably wouldn't sink to that level just to spite someone. =P It is a thought though...

:rolleyes: People amaze me. Many of the people who make the snide remarks about nice things that other women have would never refuse the item if someone gave them the same thing as a gift. They put all of this energy into attempts at making other people feel less lucky instead of focusing on how they, too could be happy. And they're always a little happier knowing that they somehow dented someone else's joy...It's sad.

Enjoy your fabulous gift...don't let someone else's resentment get you down. :supacool:

misslola said:
So I was enjoying my very first (and probably only) LV bag (cabas Piano) gift from my husband, when a very close relative informed me that he as an "idiot" for spending money on that, and if he wanted to waste his money she had plenty of other ideas on how to do it! Mainly landscaping, etc (which we have plenty already). Needless to say, these comments sucked a little of the joy right out of me. Do any of you ladies get this?? I do feel shallow and small now.

I'm sorry to hear that relative said that! For sure just ignore it all!

I get what we call "looky-loo's" entering our store questioning WHY people spend so much on Louis Vuitton in general, and how you can get other products for much cheaper! I sometimes just want to tell them to leave our store cause its like "I can't believe you just said that to me..."

You have a great bag, and don't ever feel like you are being shallow - basically just don't ever question yourself about wanting LV, let alone receiving them as gifts!

I hope you are enjoying your bag!

Everyone here on this LV Purse forum are totally sweet, and they've got your back! If you want I will call your relative and I will give them an ear full... I literally will "ROMANCE THE PRODUCT OF LOUIS VUITTON" haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... Your husband is a good man! The Cabas Piano is a great bag!

How terrible that someone would say that to you. That's just downright mean. They should just butt out of your business and worry about their own. I'm happy for you and your new bag. You should go do something nice for you and your husband to spite that rude remark. Enjoy your bag!