Speedy owners...

solai

O.G.
Jun 29, 2008
... how many years (or months) do you think I would have to enjoy a light patina? I love the med honey patina too, but do not like the super dark and dirty patina. I am keeping in mind that I can always replace the handles, but wouldn't want to do that until maybe 10 years. Do you think that the honey color can be maintained for 10+ years under "normal" circumstance, or will it change way faster than that?

My bucket is 8+ years old and still honey, but it is a shoulder bag, so I am wondering since speedies are handheld, would that speed up the darkening?

I have seen lots of beautiful honey patina'd speedies on ebay and always wonder how old those are. Yet, I am seen azurs with black patina (and they can't be more than 2 years old since azurs only been out for about 2 years.

I want to use my speedy daily but fear the black patina within only few years. So, for those of you who use your speedy almost daily, and have had for a few years... is your patina black or is it still honey? TIA

I think a lot of the "black" patina is actually grime & dirt.
You can probably enjoy your beautiful honey patina for a long time as long as you keep your hands clean, you know? :smile:

I have wondered this as well. My bags are all on the newer side. I think a lot of it depends on how and when you use it. I guess the azurs get dirty so fast because they are used a lot in the sumer when hands are so sweaty, but I do not really know. Also if you use the bag everyday or switch them fairly often.

Don't worry about getting the handles dirty. You can always get replacement handles. Of course it would take a bit of time for the patina to match up again, but why save it and not use it?

Just keep in mind to have clean hands when you go to reach for your bag. Many members use non-alcohol baby wipes to periodically wipe down their speedy handles and some also go further by using a leather protectant such as Apple Guarde and apple conditioner. Just make sure you enjoy!

Most of the really dark handles (like the oily, shiny almost black look) are on bags I know that people have used for 10+ years. I know several who are like that & these are women who are not going to 'baby' their bags (in fact, I can hear one laughing now if I even remotely suggested something like that); these are daily used, every situation bags. I think you've got YEARS of daily use before you have to worry about them REALLY turning. Use & enjoy!

My papillon was dirty easily too, on the handles, and I just used normal erase to clean it and it worked pretty well. If you're worried too much about handles, why don't you buy Damier Speedy? I have one and I have nothing to worry about.

My papillon was dirty easily too, on the handles, and I just used normal erase to clean it and it worked pretty well. If you're worried too much about handles, why don't you buy Damier Speedy? I have one and I have nothing to worry about.

I am really considering a damier ebene. I used to not like the look of the ebene (I thought it was kinda masculine), but I went to look and compare all the speedies the other day (ebene, azur, and mono) and I am really starting to like the ebene. I am now undecided which one I want. I told my hubby to just pick up for xmas and surprise me. The only thing i am sure of is that i really like the speedy. I know I want a speedy because I bought a fake (yes, don't shun me), I bought it so I didn't have to spend $600+ to find whether or not I would like a "handheld" as I have never owned a "handheld". Plus, I bought the speedy 25 and after using it for a little while, I know I would like a "30". So the fake served it's purpose. But I can't decided which line now.

I am leaning towards the ebene as i have the galliera and petit bucket (both mono and have vachetta to worry about, and yes those are real, lol:P). Any suggestions for me which one to get?

I am really considering a damier ebene. I used to not like the look of the ebene (I thought it was kinda masculine), but I went to look and compare all the speedies the other day (ebene, azur, and mono) and I am really starting to like the ebene. I am now undecided which one I want. I told my hubby to just pick up for xmas and surprise me. The only thing i am sure of is that i really like the speedy. I know I want a speedy because I bought a fake (yes, don't shun me), I bought it so I didn't have to spend $600+ to find whether or not I would like a "handheld" as I have never owned a "handheld". Plus, I bought the speedy 25 and after using it for a little while, I know I would like a "30". So the fake served it's purpose. But I can't decided which line now.

I am leaning towards the ebene as i have the galliera and petit bucket (both mono and have vachetta to worry about, and yes those are real, lol:P). Any suggestions for me which one to get?

Ebene is good! I have 3 speedies right now... Azur (my first), Watercolor, and Ebene. I use Ebene the most because I do not have to worry about vachetta in sudden rain (happened to me couple days ago). Also, it will always look new.

if you gonna get one get speedy 30 in ebene. Very roomy