Speedy owners- the lock puts dents in the tab

1. Over at PurseBlog, we started a new series called Closet Confessionals in which we examine how readers and TPFers afford their bag addictions. Read about it in this intro article and submit your own confessional here. We are looking forward to hearing from you!
    Dismiss Notice
  1. I don't know if anyone else has this problem but I only put the lock on my speedy when I carry it so the hole in the tab doesnt get stretched out but I noticed that the way the lock rests on the tip of the tab causes a dent near the tip of the tab (caused by the tab resting against the top horizontal part of the lock). Anyone else have this problem? How can I fix it? I tried placing the lock so that part doesnt rest against the top but after carrying it awhile the lock falls back into that place and creates a deeper dent.

2. i just keep my lock on my speedy. its turning a bit black and wore down but i think thats naturally and gives the purse a more "vintage" feel which i absolutly adore!

3. I have the same problem. I have been switching bags on a rotational basis every two weeks. This does not solve the problem, but I hope it slows it down.

4. i think its natural for the leather tab to dents, i mean come on that lock is pretty heavy and that leather tab is pretty light and puny compared to the lock, its going to turn black and dent...

5. I don't use the locks on my bags...the tabs stay beautiful. I leave the locks in their original box unless the sales associate puts them on the tabs when they are wrapping it up...then I will remove them once i get home and store them in a box.

6. I only carry the lock on the tab when it's out, otherwise i store the lock inside the flap pocket - so no dents for me, yet !

7. I love the locks, to me they add character to the bag. You can keep the hole from turning black if you clean the lock once a month or so. I have learned from being on TPF that plain old cheap tooth paste cleans & shines the hardware right up.

8. I leave the lock on mine also..my mom's vintage 30 that I have has never had the lock off but the dent isn't that bad.
    I just leave them on and agree with taco-they add character :heart:

9. All this talk about locks on a speedy, I just went and got mine out for the week.

10. Yea, I noticed the dent on my tab too but since it's a damier speedy, there's no black marks =)

I've started storing the lock inside the pocket though when I dont use the purse

11. i noticed that too so i quickly take it out and only use the lock when needed.

12. I think that this part of the wear and tear process. My speedy 30 mono is 4 years old and even though not much used, it is starting to show some wear, ie darkening of the handles etc. I actually like this better than the brand new look. The wear of the bag makes it feel more like my bag and I am enjoying it more now than ever. I hated the just bought look so much I would only carry it occasionally.:supacool:

13. Thanks for the input everyone! It's nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem. My speedy is only 2 months old but it already has a pretty darn good patina thanks to me taking it to Vegas for a few days where is 100*+ and then Palm Springs for a week where its about 110* and then forgetting it in the car for about half an hour when it was so hot out! I'm kicking myself for forgetting as I like to keep the leather light for as long as possible. Time to whip out the shinning monkey! =D I think I'm going to keep the lock off when i don't use the bag. The dent just bugs.

14. I'm the same. I don't use the locks at all. Maybe when my speedy gets more patina and have been used more I would.

15. i also put the lock in the tab. love it. i don't really mind bout the dents though :P

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice