Speedy over a winter coat?

tracy814

O.G.
Jul 19, 2007
I did a search and didn't find much, other than people seem to use speedys all year long. I just tried on a speedy 30 today, and was wearing a denim jacket over a sleevelss shirt, so just the denim was on my arm, and when I put the bag in the crook of my elbow, it felt tight, and I was wondering how you all fit it over a sweater and heavy coat in the winter?

I am 5'5" and 130ish....

Any experiences you can share?

i suppose it depends what type of coat you wear in the winter...if you wear some sort of fitted, wool coat I think you'd be fine, but if you'll be wearing one of those down bomber jackets or something it might be best hand-held...not sure if you're thinking of the mono or the damier, but personally, if it were winter, and I had 3 kids I'd probs be more likely to use a different purse (with the winter salt, kids with boogies coming out of their noses, lotion on my hands from dry winter) and save my mono for the other 3 seasons. But that might just be because I'd worry to much about dirtying it :rolleyes: and you'd want to use something practical when you've got 3 kids to bundle up and keep track of.

here are pics of mine. You and I have about the same measurements. In these pics I am wearing my winter jacket with a sweater underneath it (it gets pretty cold where I live). It's a down jacket, but mind you it's kinda old so it's not that puffy (hence the sweater underneath it). OH, and it's a speedy 35. I don't think it makes a difference cuz they're all the same handles anyway.

I think as long as your jacket has some "give" in the arms you wouldn't have a problem using it with a winter coat. It does get a bit uncomfortable but for the most part it's OK.

Attachments

• DSC03447.JPG
    DSC03447.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC03449.JPG
    DSC03449.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC03451.JPG
    DSC03451.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 82
LOL, I know, it's logical! It's just that I work part-time and have a computer bag too, so like to have my hands somewhat free. And when I'm not working, I have 3 kids, age 6 and under...I love the bag, but I'm worried that I'll never get used to an arm bag!

You'll get used to it. I have 2 kids under the age of 5. I've carried a speedy since I gave birth to my first child 5 1/2 years ago. To me, a handheld bag is actually easier with kids than a shoulder bag. I kept dealing with shoulder bags slipping off when dealing with the kids.