Speedy B 30 DE heartbreak!!

LadyLVoe

Hooray for today! :)
Aug 9, 2012
Hi everyone. I'm off with a heartbreaking news :nogood:

I just want to share that my 5 month old Speedy B 30 in DE has abrasion(!!) and I have no idea how in the world it could have happened! :crybaby:

I only have 2 LV bags and you would imagine how much I take care of them as I cannot simply replace or add a new bag anytime I want it. Those two pieces are the result of a full year saving.

As soon as I found out, I went straight to our local LV store and the SA told me that it's not the usual quality issues they receive so they won't be able to do anything about it. :nogood: I then asked for the repair cost and it's about $190 and the SA advised to just live with it since the bag is still functional. If in the years to come and it might have more abrasion then I can send it for one time repair with just about the same price. I actually appreciated what she said as I feel like she is not after my money.

I have attached the photo here and I am half hearted if I should keep it since it's kind of sentimental as it is something I really saved up for or should sell it then save a little more and buy a new Speedy B again? And would someone really buy an LV bag with abrasion? :nono: Because if I'm the one looking for preloved, of course this is something that will turn me off. Sigh.. I would never wish for anyone to be in my situation now. :cry:

What are your thoughts?

Thank you letting me share my heartbreaking story... :sad:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,088
sorry about the piping, try not to fret it too much. just wondering, is there any dark brown product that you could apply to the piping to mask it? maybe someone has some experience with this? could a shoe repair store help? it would have to match exactly, but maybe it could be done?

sorry about the piping, try not to fret it too much. just wondering, is there any dark brown product that you could apply to the piping to mask it? maybe someone has some experience with this? could a shoe repair store help? it would have to match exactly, but maybe it could be done?

Hi luvspurses, thank you for your suggestion and honestly, I have not give it a thought yet, probably because I feel that I only want LV to touch my LV bag? But do you know anyone who have done it before? If it's a good idea, I'll give it a try but I must research for a reputable repair shop in my area. I guess I'll take this as an option and thank you for the advice!

There are pros and cons with the DE. What kind of repair did the SA say? Can you try to see if they can reglaze it? I'm going to ask my SA the next time I'm there to see what they can do and if reglazing it will help it.

i really don't know where you could take it. and normally i wouldn't alter a bag and would opt to have lv do it. my thought was that since you may ultimately have the piping replaced at some point in the future, the bag would then be restored back to original condition. in the meantime, if you do find a way to cosmetically fix the piping, you could wait and see if you want to replace the piping later. i hope someone else can help out with more specific things they have tried . at least it's just the piping. i would definitely have lv replace the piping before i would sell the bag and repurchase a new one. best of luck

If you decide to sell it I am sure there are people out there who would buy it...It may be worth the $190 to get the piping fixed instead of selling it and saving up for a brand new bag especially fo this bag has alot of sentimental value to you....

Personally, I would put a little brown shoe polish on it. How big is the abrasion, maybe a half inch. I wouldn't worry at all about it, and FWIW, that tiny scratch would not turn me off from buying

There are pros and cons with the DE. What kind of repair did the SA say? Can you try to see if they can reglaze it? I'm going to ask my SA the next time I'm there to see what they can do and if reglazing it will help it.

Hi Noi_82, the SA did not mention if reglaze is an option. She said that they would replace the whole pipe that's why repair is costly. Thank you so much for offering your help! The next time I head down to LV, I'll ask that option too.

And to everyone, I am new to LV so pardon me if all your suggestions seem like a first time. This is definitely a first time for me. But I appreciate all your thoughts!

LadyLVoe said:
Hi Noi_82, the SA did not mention if reglaze is an option. She said that they would replace the whole pipe that's why repair is costly. Thank you so much for offering your help! The next time I head down to LV, I'll ask that option too.

And to everyone, I am new to LV so pardon me if all your suggestions seem like a first time. This is definitely a first time for me. But I appreciate all your thoughts!

When they reglaze it, they reglaze it brown. I had my PTI reglazing done 2 times. Its better to ask them first before spending that much. Lets us know the update.

we all love our lv and feel your pain. i'm sorry to say this but you can't keep it perfect and pristine if you going to carry and use your bag often. it happens to all DE piping. i accidentally rub my speedy 25 on the wall the first day i took it out, i was really upset but got over it quick after i stop paying attention to that one spot. same thing happened to my Trevi PM. accident happens... just enjoy and use your bag bc if you sell it, you going to loose a few hundred and there's no guarantee it won't happen to your next one.

BTW reglaze is for wallets...they might have to change the piping.

If you decide to sell it I am sure there are people out there who would buy it...It may be worth the $190 to get the piping fixed instead of selling it and saving up for a brand new bag especially fo this bag has alot of sentimental value to you....

Hi LVlvoe_bug, thank you and I think you have a point as I plan to buy the same exact bag. I guess the frustration comes from the unexpected cost of repair.. only if had I been extra extra careful than I thought I was.

So sorry about the abrasion on the piping on your bag -- almost any bag with piping is prone to this since we bump our bags against walls, doors, etc., etc. I'm sure you can cover the scuffs with shoe polish or a brown marker pen (like a Sharpie, Magic Marker, etc.).

Yeah, since the piping is leather, that makes perfect sense. I would check in with a leather expert.

I have a pair of western roper riding boots that have been my main riding boots for years. I just have the soles replaced whenever they wear out, they are sooooo well broken in. Anyways, the boot shop I take them to has an amazing leather expert. He is an foreign elderly gentleman, and his knowlegde is amazing about the different types of leather and how they respond to different treatments, for instance, my boots are "rough out" leather, and he know just how get get a beautiful soft glaze on the patina when I get them back. Of course I hook my spurs back on and spend a day at the barn, and that goes to heck, but my point is, don't give too much credit to a LV SA when it comes to managing leather. Compare a twenty-something LV SA, to my eighty-something man who has worked with leather most every day of his life, and tell me who you would trust touching your bag :smile:

The people that have made working with leather for a lifetime, are a dying breed IME, and if you can find a good one that recognizes how to work with the problem, you may find a solution and not have to get rid of it, or whatever. Additionally, if it is a good experienced leather worker, they will not touch your bag if they think they might damage it. They would tell you the truth. Give it a shot!

I have the same problem with my Berkeley ebene. I did not realize that the piping was so fragile. I tried to be careful with my trevi PM and the same thing happened. I accidentally banged my back to our brick wall!!! :sad: so what I did is put some brown leather cream shoe to hide it but the color does not stay. I baby my bags like there is no tomorrrow. but it happened anyways. i read somewhere that we can try with a brown permanent market. Have not found one yet.... I understand your pain. My heart just stopped when I saw the scratched. Now I am extra careful.

My SA said the same thing as yours.

Personally, I would put a little brown shoe polish on it. How big is the abrasion, maybe a half inch. I wouldn't worry at all about it, and FWIW, that tiny scratch would not turn me off from buying

Hi Lulugrl, yes the abrasion is about half an inch and it is not very deep. I really wonder what sharp object did I come across to. I really never noticed or felt it until I came home as I have a habit of checking my bag before putting it in my closet. I am not very good with repairing so putting a brown shoe polish is something I would let a professional or someone do for me. I'll ask around and see if there is something very close to the DE color. Thank you for the suggestion!