Speedy and A Tote? Limitations on carrying a Speedy.

Would you carry your Speedy with other handbags?

• Yes, I would! It would be tricky but I don't care.

• No, I would not! It looks ridiculous and ruins the look of the Speedy.

• Not initially. I have to go shopping sometime but I try to avoid this look.

Results are only viewable after voting.

T-Girl

Ahhhh...I'm falling!
May 7, 2008
I hope I am not copying someone else's thread, but I have not come across a thread of this sort yet.

Most cases, I have seen people who have Speedys carry nothing else in their hands. Since I go to work, I like to bring my lunch, but I would never conceive of tossing my food into my Speedy for fear of leakage or smell. Also, I tend to pick up groceries or shop for things I like. That means I need to also carry them as well as hold my Speedy.

People who have shoulder bags also carry shopping totes so it does not look out of place to see them with more than one bag.

One solution is to own a Speedy with a shoulder strap. Of course, we now have the SC, Idylle, and Neo Speedys that have the shoulder strap option. Still, I love my Epi and classic canvas Speedys. There is just something special about owning a top-handle only bag.

So, do any of you have issues carrying a Speedy and an extra tote while going out or does it negate the beauty, simplicity, and freedom of carrying the elusive Speedy? Audrey Hepburn is pictured carrying the Speedy usually on its own. It looks simple and elegant on her and she remains the icon who has kept the Speedy tradition going.

What do you think? :thinking:

I look forward to your views because I really want to use my Speedys more often. :smile:

Last edited:
I wouldn't carry both on a regular basis, but I have been thinking about getting a Longchamp Pliage that folds to carry on the few occasions that I would need to tote something.

^Thank you for your reply, Kitsunegrl.^ I see that I am not alone in considering the limitations of carrying the Speedy. It's frustrating as I love this little barrel style bag.

Good thread...
I use my speedy's all the time, and have carried all kind of stuff in it, however, I have the same fear that you have regarding food; I would have a fit if food leaked into it. So , I have carried additonal totes to hold food, or other items if spilled, coulds ruin my speedy. I don't think that it is weird at all.

^Thank you Mrs Moulds!^

I just love the carefree look of a tourist swinging the Speedy in my arm freely--lah lah dee dah! But, I have to go to work, and that means my lunch goes with me because I don't like to eat out every day. I guess, for me, I have no choice because I work and have little time off to swing my Speedy freely without any other obstructions.

I am an anomaly in that I prefer hand held bags, I actually do not own any shoulder bags at all (cross body & hand held only).

I carry a fold up black nylon tote bag (from Winners .99 cents) and if I am out shopping and need a bag to carry around my purchases (esp now that they charge .5 cents for a plastic bag here in Toronto) I use that and carry it on my shoulder and have my speedy as a hand held bag. I don't think it looks weird at all or takes away from my speedy, they can't compete - the speedy always wins!!!

I take my speedy to work with a lunch box. I don't like doing it because I agree that the speedy alone is more attractive. When I do small shopping, I usually stuff my purchases in my speedy, so there must be something said for the speedy alone because I don't do that when I carry other bags. I like my speedy to shine on it's own, but sometimes it's just not practical (like taking in lunch to work) so I don't worry about it too much.

^Hey Slang!^ If I happen to see you on the street with your Winner's Tote in Toronto, I'll give you an 'Aye Okay'! :okay: I tend to carry my Roots Tote around. And I agree, the Roots shopping tote does not come close to my pretty LVs. :biggrin:

^Thank you AndieLiz!^ I am glad many of us are feeling that the Speedy does beckon to be held alone, but it is inevitable that we have lives to live and that means carrying them as well. Yeah, I have a lunch tote that I tuck away in my shopping bag too. I love the Thermos quality to keep my food fresh and cool.

I just came to an interesting concept! :thinking: When I know I want to save money $$$$, I should take my Speedy with me so it reduces my compulsion to buy something else--unless it's another LV, of course. :biggrin: And those brown LV bags actually enhance the look.

Another interesting thought, maybe I should carry my lunch inside a brown LV shopping bag. Ah, maybe not. :nogood: I really don't want so many people staring at my lunch wondering what I bought. :blush: Also, I don't want my co-workers thinking I am so rich to afford to shop at LV every day just before heading to work! :lolots:

Last edited:
No limitations whatsoever, IMO. You should carry what you need to get through the day and if you need two bags, you should carry them both.

I think a tote and a speedy is perfectly fine. Especially if its a shoulder tote- that way you won't have two bags in one hand or (worse) one bag in each hand.

I use my damier speedy 30 everyday for work. I use to carry a random tote for magazines, lunch, notepads, and a computer bag.
I just purchased a Longchamps Le Plaige bilberry tote, so excited:yahoo:
Ill be using her everyday , along with my speedy.
I see nothing wrong with several bags. Im not ruining my LV with food, or overstretching......

No limitations whatsoever, IMO. You should carry what you need to get through the day and if you need two bags, you should carry them both.

I think a tote and a speedy is perfectly fine. Especially if its a shoulder tote- that way you won't have two bags in one hand or (worse) one bag in each hand.

Thank you Howardu09! :heart: That's a lovely picture of you with the Eiffel Tower in the background. I agree we have to get through the day and I have enough baggage, but I will try to use my Speedys more often.

I thought of putting a shoulder strap on my Speedy but I am fearful of ruining the handle grommets and LV will say that I voided the warranty because they do not endorse carrying the Speedy in this manner.

I use my damier speedy 30 everyday for work. I use to carry a random tote for magazines, lunch, notepads, and a computer bag.
I just purchased a Longchamps Le Plaige bilberry tote, so excited
Ill be using her everyday , along with my speedy.
I see nothing wrong with several bags. Im not ruining my LV with food, or overstretching......

Hmmm . . . :thinking: I can see the advantage of carrying a Longchamps tote because it is a subtle stylish look yet plainer than the Speedy and I really don't want to ruin my Speedy to keep the Speedy-only handheld look.

^Hey Slang!^ If I happen to see you on the street with your Winner's Tote in Toronto, I'll give you an 'Aye Okay'! :okay: I tend to carry my Roots Tote around. And I agree, the Roots shopping tote does not come close to my pretty LVs.

Yes, if you ever see me pls come say "hi" and I'll do the same if I see a girl rocking her beautiful coloured epi bags with her Roots tote LOL....

I have come to the conclusion that life happens, would it look better if we carried just our speedys? Yes, but that is not how real life works, right? That's like saying the speedy looks better when you are "all dressed up" and maybe in a perfect world it does but that's not my life. Yesterday I was running around doing errands in my yoga pants, tank top & flip flops and my hair in a pony tail carrying my mono speedy. I make my speedy work for me, I don't work my life around working for it kwim???

Yes, if you ever see me pls come say "hi" and I'll do the same if I see a girl rocking her beautiful coloured epi bags with her Roots tote LOL....

I have come to the conclusion that life happens, would it look better if we carried just our speedys? Yes, but that is not how real life works, right? That's like saying the speedy looks better when you are "all dressed up" and maybe in a perfect world it does but that's not my life. Yesterday I was running around doing errands in my yoga pants, tank top & flip flops and my hair in a pony tail carrying my mono speedy. I make my speedy work for me, I don't work my life around working for it kwim???

I'll definitely say, 'Hi!' to you if I see you with your Mon Mono Speedy and your Win-win tote! :ghi5:

I am contemplating getting a Longchamps Tote now just to keep everything neat and zipped away.

I wish I could get dressed up and look spiffy with my Speedy all the time too. If it takes that much work, then only the stars on TV can carry off this look without a hitch. IRL, they can look pretty grotty at times but that does not stop them from carrying their best handbags around.

I agree. I really really want to use my Speedys but these 'limitations' were starting to get to me. I don't want to resort to getting an Idylle, SC, or Neo so I can carry an extra tote around.

Thanks ^Fashion_Mom1.^ We're all in agreement that throwing food into a Speedy is a no-no :nono: and the classic handheld Speedy carries limitations [pun intended] for many.

Thank you all for your replies. :heart::heart: I appreciate that I am not the only one who contemplates the carrying requirements of the Speedy.