Speedy 40 as a manbag...

Sep 11, 2008
My sister is getting me something from LV for my birthday coming up in April and I'm giving her some of my "preferences". What do you guys think of the Speedy 40 for a guy? And monogram or damier?

Any input is appreciated! :smile:

ps - I'm only 5'4 so it would look bigger on me.

Last edited:
i think you should try it..if u dont like it then change it for something else,, but i think it would look nice.. do u want it for like daily basis or special ocacions?.. if so, i think mayve the 35 would be better due to your size,, another good tip is for u to go to the bouttique and try them urself.. then ull have a better idea,, dont forget to post the pics once u have it though!!!! cheers

Well they don't make Speedy 40 Damier... you could have it special ordered though! I would totally check out the 35 too since you're 5'4! I have a Speedy 40 and it's HUGE... but I love it... but it will sag like crazy if you don't have a base shaper or something big on the bottom of it. Great choice though!

na.

i copped two 35's (speedy's) for my mom december and january. mono and damier and both are definitely purses, lol. you can try to reach as much as you want, a purse is a purse. lv makes some decent "man bags" tho...try one of them.

i'm copping an icare in a few days (maybe tomorrow?). try that or even a carryall.

Go for it. Only Speedy 40 isn't available for retail in Damier, as some have pointed out. I think Monogram is the best unless you're worried about Vachetta. I've been saving to get a Speedy but now I'm going for a Damier Neverfull. I, however, can't help but drool whenever I see a guy with Monogram anything. It takes a guy with some fierce style to pull it off. I'm sure you could.

Also, its a bag made from dead animals, the genders of which we do not know. Therefore, I don't think there is any such thing as a 'manbag' or 'girlbag'. Do what feels best. Since when did the act of carrying things become a girl exclusive phenomenon? Check the last 100 years. New Century, new people, new generation, new style, new rules.
If you're gay carry it with some beefy attitude. If you're straight carry it with some dandy panache. Style is about balance and ambiguity. Marc Jacobs, (who happens to create this LoVely stuff that is like crack for my senses), carries a birkin as well as Neverfulls, etc. Do you think Marc would have gotten to where he is as the Creative Director for the most successful luxury brand in the world if he had listened when people told him not to carry a 'girl bag?' Certainly not. And we're all thankful that he didn't listen, or else so much of the creative synergy of art and fashion in the LV brand would not be possible under the supervision of anybody less.
Sorry for the long post, but I gotta get on my Marc Jacobs High Horse every now and then. Viva Marc y Louis.