Speedy 30 to Vietnam?

nekkid

O.G.
Oct 29, 2006
Has anyone here been to Vietnam and brought their speedy? I'm thinking about carrying my speedy, but I've heard stories where there are thefts slicing people's bags to get the wallet! Any experiences to share? I'd really like to carry it with me because it's my favorite bag, but at the same time, I'm scared of ANYTHING bad happening to it. Do you guys think it's safe to carry it around Saigon?

I'm scared that someone might snatch it out of my arm too!

I am also bringing another purse that I do not care much to take with me when I know my speedy is not necessary, like the beach.

I've heard stories like that about Hong Kong, nothing happened to me. If you're scared, maybe you should just leave it home. I don't like taking handheld bags on vacation anyway.

i've been to vietnam. but nothing bad happens to us. but we didn't walk around for long. i feel safe when i went there last feb 2007.i think you can bring your speedy but make sure you always have your eyes with your bag. don't forget to go to the L.V store there i have no idea with their pricing. hope you have safe trip.

I went to Vietnam last summer and brought my LV Leonor and my LV Rivets. IMO, if your main transportation would be taking the cab or renting a personal car than it shouldn't be a problem. I felt safe walking around HoChiMinh City with my LV's in the day time, though highly recommend leaving it home at night...:yes: Other tips: do not wear your purses to the market, when riding the motorcycle, or going somewhere that you have to rent a locker for it (like Saigon Waterpark or something)...Hope I was able to help!!!

Oh, about the LV stores in Hochiminh City and Hanoi, I went in there and the prices were 30% higher than in the US. Apparently, the locals have to pay a huge tax price for imported goods.

Has anyone here been to Vietnam and brought their speedy? I'm thinking about carrying my speedy, but I've heard stories where there are thefts slicing people's bags to get the wallet! Any experiences to share? I'd really like to carry it with me because it's my favorite bag, but at the same time, I'm scared of ANYTHING bad happening to it. Do you guys think it's safe to carry it around Saigon?

I'm scared that someone might snatch it out of my arm too!

I am also bringing another purse that I do not care much to take with me when I know my speedy is not necessary, like the beach.

I wouldn't suggest you bringing it, I have a friend that brought her LV to Vietnam over the summer and as she was walking on the street, a motorcycle passing by snatched her bag up, she didn't let go and was dragged on the street. She ended up, getting her bag back + a broken leg :tdown: came back on crutches so I wouldn't take the risk!!

I wouldn't suggest you bringing it, I have a friend that brought her LV to Vietnam over the summer and as she was walking on the street, a motorcycle passing by snatched her bag up, she didn't let go and was dragged on the street. She ended up, getting her bag back + a broken leg :tdown: came back on crutches so I wouldn't take the risk!!

OMG that is AWFUL!!! I am going to Ital in 2 weeks and was thinking of taking my Speedy, but might leave her at home

OMG!!! That's aweful and scary! :hrmm:

I have a story about someone getting their purse stolen in HoChiMinh city and thrown down on the ground while with my Japanese friend. Whatever you decide, be aware and careful.

Sadly some of the horror stories told above are true. I live here so I know that has happened to some people. Precautions help but sometimes it's just a matter of luck. Lots of Vietnamese girls carry LV here with no problem. One thing you should know is to never ever wear your expensive jewlery and bags/accessories while riding on a motorbike here because that's like an invitation to the thieves. If you do carry a bag, put it in between you and the motorbike driver and hold on tight, do not wear it on your shoulder or by the wrist. Walking around during night time should be safe, make sure you have your bag zipped up and close to your body where you can see it, especially if you're in like a crowded night market or a club.

Like someone said, taking a cab or a car would be better. Motorbike is still ok if the trunk is large enough to fit your LV. I would not take my LV out if I travel by trains, which lots of tourists take. I think LV in Vietnam is 38% more expensive than in France and unlike Singapore you cannot get tax refund upon leaving the country.

Good luck and hope you have a great time!