Speedy 25 in Mono or Damier Ebene ?

ivette29

May 25, 2020
I have taken the time to finally
Decide on my first LV bag purchase and it will be the Speedy 25. Now, I’m torn between the Mono or Damier Ebene print. I love the Mono print but at the same time I’m not the type to like having bags that scream the designer lol do u get me? I feel like the Damier Ebene is not as flashy and the handles would not wear as much as the mono ones would. What do you guys think? Who owns either or and loves it?

Those who are familiar with designer goods will spot your LV handbag from a distance whether it’s in de or mono prints. I prefer mono but chose my speedy in de mainly the weather where I live is raining most of the time which means I get more chances using it and no need to worry about the treated leather getting wet.
Don‘t be bother about how other people looking at you rather than which one you love best and how the bag will suit your lifestyle.

I first purchased the Speedy 25B monogram because of the classic aesthetic. However, I am always hesitant to use it because of the vachetta. One year later, I purchased the DE version and used it immediately - including in the rain!!! In hindsight, I should have purchased it first in DE. However, I was able to nab a MIF in DE, which would have been doubtful one year ago.

I likely would have purchased a different monogram bag this year.

Definitely DE
I first purchased the monogram b25 but wasn’t using it as much. I brought the DE a month later and sold the monogram.
I love the red interior which makes it easier to find your things , I live in a London so I don’t have to worry about the rain.
Also DE does not show any age. Mine is 6 years old and still looks brand new.
I only buy monogram with treated leather as ai have learnt it works best for me .

IMO I think the monogram is only more classic in the speedy 25 . I don't think either print is more classic in the Speedy b version as they are recent adaptations of the original speedy.

Have fun picking your new purchase . You will love it x

I own several sizes of both. Many folks here have both (or more) canvases because they serve different purposes and satisfy different moods. My first Speedy was a monogram 25 in 1999 or 2000 and it was the perfect starter bag. The opening is small and the handle can be snug for elbow carry over a winter jacket, but I have never had a problem.

I got the DE Speedy 30 several years later because I wanted a bigger version that would not age from the sun and rain. My Damier Ebene Speedy 30 still looks brand new, but it's now 13 years old. Only upon close inspection could anyone see signs of use from a ring that has scratched the underside of the handle. That's pretty much it for wear. Conversely, the Speedy 25 is badly weathered, pun intended. Unless I replace the super dark vachetta, which I would not do at this point because of the sentimentality, the bag is going to stay retired until I give it to any possible future daughter I may have.

There have been other Speedys in my life. The Roses Speedy 30 didn't stay with me for long. The mono Speedy B35 is basically only for select travel, although I imagine it will get more wear time again once I have kids that require a lot of stuff and two free hands.

TL;DR - My vote is DE to start. It's an all-weather bag, and it will be a classic forever.

I have taken the time to finally
Decide on my first LV bag purchase and it will be the Speedy 25. Now, I’m torn between the Mono or Damier Ebene print. I love the Mono print but at the same time I’m not the type to like having bags that scream the designer lol do u get me? I feel like the Damier Ebene is not as flashy and the handles would not wear as much as the mono ones would. What do you guys think? Who owns either or and loves it?
Amazing, congratulations on making your first LV purchase!! My first was speedy 30 in DE, and it's still my baby. I reach for it mostly because the DE is so carefree but being honest I love the monogram also but the vachetta always put me off. For me the DE is just as recognisable as the mono so go with whatever you love more :smile: best of luck and let us know which you decide xx

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200619_182433.jpg
    Screenshot_20200619_182433.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 61
I vote for DE, mono is a classic but I agree, it’s also more flashy than DE, IF that matters to you personally. People who knows designer stuff regocnise both, but literally everybody knows mono! Even my mother does, and she doesn’t know anything about bags. She wouldn’t know anything about DE.

Reactions: mrs.JC and ivette29
My very first LV bag was speedy 25 in monogram. I remember the price was still around $250. Yes it was longggg time ago. It got sun and rains to the point that made the hardwares dirty/rusty so I sold it (I didn’t know LV can replace the vachetta leather and hardwares back then).
Then I got murakami speedy 30 in white, after couple of years I sold it.
I also got speedy 30 in denim that later on I sold it as well. And speedy cheery 25 that I also sold eventually. I even got speedy 25 in DA but afraid to get it dirty so I sold it to my sister.
Among those 5 the bag I regretted the most to sell was the murakami.

Now I’m settled with speedy 30 in DE. Hopefully I will get speedy B25 in DE in the near future as I like cross body bag most and to have hands free.

Good luck with your very first speedy bag.

Reactions: ivette29
Congratulations! I have the Speedy B 25 in DE, too. It was my first LV and I deliberated a bit (mostly about whether to invest more to get a bandouliere, or a 30). I love how the mono Speedy B looks, but I wanted to use it year round and it rains in the winter here, and I travel often to NY where it can rain any time). Besides, the first time I noticed an LV it was a Speedy DE and it made me stop in tracks! You will love it, esp since you don't want fuss with kids in tow. And yes, I have since collected mono. You will, too! LOL.