Speech therapist coming today...

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. So far I'm not impressed, all they do is watch her play? WTH? Today will be the third visit, if they don't work with her today I'm going to call her doctor and ask him what the heck is going on.

2. Hello! Could it be that the speech therapist is observing her to see how she interacts/communicates with others? I work with different therapists and now they do a lot of observation, especially with new clients. However, this situation must be frustrating for you. Maybe you can ask the therapist what is the process of providing speech therapy? =) Hang in there.

3. get another speech therapist, you are paying too much for play

also you might look into your public school for speech

don't know how old your child is or why speech therapy is needed, you do know that they will grow some issues & others they will not

4. #4 Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
    Mary normally I would agree but her visits are an hour and a half long each time, she should be doing something by now. Even if she were to observe for an hour and work with her for 10 minutes I'd be happy, she has done absolutely nothing.

I called the doctors office today and spoke with her pediatrician directly, he said after the first visit they should be working with her hands on, utilizing different tools, techniques to help her form words, he wasn't happy either.

He sent me to another place and I called them and they agreed, they're coming out next week.

Happy to have it resolved.

I'm so ready to hear her say MOMMY!

Katlun, she is 21 months old and isn't talking at all yet, not even word approximations. She makes a few sounds but no solid words. She's already been tested for Autism and thankfully that was ruled out. She goes for a hearing test next week with a neuroaudiologist. I know she hears me most the time, but doc said it may be a situation in which she can't hear certain frequencies. She had horrible double ear infections her first year, almost constantly, which is why I switched pediatricians when she was 10 months old, the first one wanted to put tubes in at 7 MONTHS! The pediatrician she's with now told me to put her on Rescon GG, and she's never had an ear infection since.

5. Oh yeah that is a long time. Where I work visits are 30 mins, 2-3 times a week. I am glad you got it resolved!
    How old is she?
    You must be anxious!!!

6. She's 21 months. and already in the terrible twos! HAHA!

7. Aww she's little! Don't worry she'll start talking soon. My nephew didn't start talking until he was 3 years old. He is now 4 and is a little chatter box. Early intervention always helps of course. Oh and reading to her daily is also a great way to develop her language skills. Good luck :smile:

8. not at 21 months she should be say something

ask if she might have apraxia, see website for details

http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/voice/apraxia.html

the ear infections do play a major role in her speech development and if this is the case your insurance should pay for some or most of speech lessons

look to see if your state has early intervention program, where you can get therapy for free under the age of 3

I live in FL, here is their site:

http://www.cms-kids.com/

and good luck

9. #9 Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
    I hate to say this but I think you shouldn't have ruled out the tubes. I know surgery is a big step for such a wee one but I know people that have remarkable results with tubes while their babies were under 1. The tubes physically help with the middle ear fluid level (which is a major source of hearing impairment at that age), NOT just minimize the amt of ear infections a child gets.

10. My friend's baby had tubes put in and his speech improved dramatically afterwards. I bet that has been holding up your daughter, but I think you're absolutely right to get her a therapist. I'm sure it will work out well.

11. We lived in the SA in TX and we had excellent ECI for my daughter. We also took her Pediatric Therapy Solutions and they had wonderful speech therapist. Trust your instincts with the Therapist and if you feel that they are not doing a adequete job ask for a different one or go to a different place. I have had to fire a few because I felt that they were not that great. Good luck and if you need anymore info, pm me.

12. Sorry, I totally missed this part
    "Katlun, she is 21 months old and isn't talking at all yet, not even word approximations. She makes a few sounds but no solid words. She's already been tested for Autism and thankfully that was ruled out. She goes for a hearing test next week with a neuroaudiologist. I know she hears me most the time, but doc said it may be a situation in which she can't hear certain frequencies. She had horrible double ear infections her first year, almost constantly, which is why I switched pediatricians when she was 10 months old, the first one wanted to put tubes in at 7 MONTHS! The pediatrician she's with now told me to put her on Rescon GG, and she's never had an ear infection since. "

I was working with a child with speech delays which was caused from a hearing problem. He has ear tubes now and is able to hear at some extent. What he hears when people speak is as if he was under water and people are talking (not clear but better than nothing). He is 2 years old and is starting to talk a little :smile:
    Once again good luck!

13. my daughter, now about 2 1/2, never had ear infections. but at 4 months i realized she couldn't hear. at all. (pan banging behind her head- no movement.) turns out her ears fill up with fluid to the point of deafness. our dr. referred us to children's hosp. and to early invention.

long story short, at about 8-9 months she had tubes put in. WOW. What a difference. But, she had lost almost an entire year of hearing. Which delayed speech.

With ei, she has been able to catch up quite a bit, but she is still behind. I know she will be able to talk 'normally' but she is def. behind due to that first year.

She has been assessed (sp?) many times- play is how they do it. They look at a TON of stuff- not just speech and hearing. Maybe the therapists need to explain more to you- but they aren't just 'playing'. I swear.

If you have any questions, pm me anytime. My daughter doesn't get ei anymore, but it was wonderful and it really helped us out. We learned to sign, which helped alleviate her frustrations. As she was more comfortable, she would 'try' to say words. It's amazing what the therapists do. gl!!!

14. Thank you everyone, you have made me feel so much better about the whole situation.

We go to get the hearing test done on the 28th. I'm almost wondering if the same thing happened to my daughter. Her first pediatrician seemed wonderful but I couldn't figure out why we could never get rid of the double ear infections. The second pediatrician, who she's with now, had me try that Rescon which targets fluid in the ear and it has worked wonders, no more fluid or infections, but I think it's something along the same lines. I think she couldn't hear while she was going through all those infections.

Part of the prob with the therapist is that she cancelled on me the day she was supposed to come. Ugh. and told me she was booked for the next 6 weeks and would have to fit DD in sometime after that????? HUH? So I called the doctor and went with another group he recommended.

I have also started teaching her several ASL signs and she's picked up most of them. It's so cool seeing such a little person communicate like that. I always say the word to her while I'm doing the sign and I say it again when I give her the object she wanted.

I just can't wait to get moving on this, the new group is going to come out next week. :smile:

15. ^^^ that's something else i should have mentioned. getting started with ei is often a slow process. but, once you get going, it is fine. but it took a LONG time before everything was 'set up'.

It seems like you are doing a great job by your baby!