Spectacular on a Shoestring? Let's share our budget looks!

Your outlook is admirable - & the fact that you can sew! I made the mistake a few years later ago of purchasing some cashmere items, then my weight went up (medication induced aargh) & has stayed. The cashmere still waits, & I don’t know whether to keep in hope or just consign. Sigh....
Do you like having it in your closet? Some things I just like having (vintage party dresses). Some things make me sad to keep around... If you enjoy petting them again occasionally, then keep them. If they depress you, consign. Life is too short to let yourself get bummed out by a problem that's easily fixed!

Reactions: Lilybarb
I love to be creative with sewing projects, repurposing old things into new things. I would never be able to make blouses like those you have made fugituverose! I'm an amateur seamstress, I just like finding something oversized at the thrift store and serging the seams to make it fit me or making a ladies item into a little girl item the same way...Or just fixing and altering items in my family to fit and work and breathe new life into what we have (there's 6 of us).

View attachment 4107014
Here's me today. Thrift store linen skirt and blouse bought on sale, so under forty total.
Is anyone else in the universe of TPF also a fashion lover who has to stick to a middle class budget?
Anyone else for whom any piece of designer (or anything that originally cost more than $100!) fashion in their wardrobe was purchased second hand for around 80-95% off of the original price? I love designer consignment boutiques and eBay (& Etsy vintage!) for scoring nice stuff years after it was 'new' and on runways, in great condition and in my humble price range. Even thrift stores have the occasional luxe piece for $20 or less and it's fun to peruse on the off chance of finding it.

I love putting outfits together that look great, and I would buy designer pieces new if I could afford it, but we are a regular (not rich) family with four kids so mama has to keep it real and keep the majority of clothing/shoes purchases under around a hundred and handbag/coat purchases under around $500.

Why don't we share our outfits that we are wearing, that we think great but that didn't cost more than $500 total (& adding the purse and coat, under $1000), and if you have any neat scores to describe like a couture piece you bought second hand for a song that fits you like it was made for you, or a favorite basic that always works and looks fantastic but didn't cost the moon from a non designer brand, then describe the origins of the separates you put together and where you got what you got. Maybe some of us will get ideas from each other about affordable but fabulous fashion finds.

I love this so much! I love thrifting and can not understand spending $80 on a blouse in a store when I can spend $10 and get a $200 silk blouse second hand. I will try to post some of my most recent thrift finds here in the coming days. I am currently wearing an Ella Moss silk blouse and Rachel Roy skirt. I paid a total of $13 for my entire outfit.

Also, do you post your thrift finds on instagram or anywhere so we can follow along with what you find? I try to always story my thrift finds on my instagram (@polishjinx)