Speaking of CS/SA: Is there such a thing as too much help??

happened a lot today at work. i'm not obligated to help customers, but i will say hi if they come into my 'space' or if they bump into me.. and they just ignore me. i'm like.. "i'm SORRY for existing and being here first and you ran into me!!" roar!

then there are other times where i'll ask how someone is doing today, and they'll respond with, "just looking!". that... wasn't the question........ :confused1: how do customers/people have these automatic answers in their heads.. do they listen first, or just not care.. cuz if you frankly don't care, or 'just looking' then STOP TOUCHING MY DISPLAYS!! i get so OCD/anal on that.. people that are just looking, should look with their eyes, because from the last time i remember, eyes are on our heads, not our hands! gah

I am usually much more likely to buy something if I am greeted by a friendly sales associate when I walk into the store.

BUT

There have been many times where everytime I pick something off the rack to look at it the sales person is at my throat asking if I need a size, do I want to try it on, etc, etc. and it makes me reluctant to look at anything in the store (if I wanna try it on I'll ask!!)....so many times I have actually left a store where I felt I was being bothered too much by the associate instead of being allowed to browse in peace.

Honestly I like to shop by myself. I get more done that way. Occasionally I'll have someone with me, but mainly I'm with myself. I really like when an SA asks me for assistance, but if I say no, I want to look around a little bit first that means don't hover around me. I'll come to you when I'm ready.

It makes me think they think I'm trying to case the joint or steal something when they follow me around like that.

The only place I don't mind the hovering is shoes. Because I usually have 10 pairs in my hand. I need a special SA for that.

some customers just aren't happy unless they're complaining about something.

we have a very strict rule at my work, mandated by corporate, that we greet any customer that comes within 10 feet of us. not ask them if they need help, or try to sell them something, but just acknowledge them. maybe ask how they are. a lot of customers are cynical and assume that if they answer or smile back, we'll immediately latch on and try to sell them something, which is not the case. we just want the store to be inviting and friendly, and we don't want our SAs to feel like they can get away with ignoring anyone, no matter what they look like, how they're dressed, etc. people STILL complain, even though we're trained to not be pushy.

*shrug* some people just need something to ***** about in order for their lives to be complete. so just keep in mind that a lot of times, an SA doesn't know if another SA has said hi or asked you if you needed anything, so we're just trying to make sure that you don't get ignored!

I feel like a customer should be greeted and asked if they need help- and then left to look around by themselves. I went jean shopping with a friend the other day and this SA asked if we needed help and I said "No, but thank you and I will let you know if we do". Then he repeatedly came back to me showing me jeans, shirts, and shoes!!! He really wouldn't let it go and followed us around the store. That was DEF too much IMO!

happened a lot today at work. i'm not obligated to help customers, but i will say hi if they come into my 'space' or if they bump into me.. and they just ignore me. i'm like.. "i'm SORRY for existing and being here first and you ran into me!!" roar!

then there are other times where i'll ask how someone is doing today, and they'll respond with, "just looking!". that... wasn't the question........ :confused1: how do customers/people have these automatic answers in their heads.. do they listen first, or just not care.. cuz if you frankly don't care, or 'just looking' then STOP TOUCHING MY DISPLAYS!! i get so OCD/anal on that.. people that are just looking, should look with their eyes, because from the last time i remember, eyes are on our heads, not our hands! gah

they aren't listening!

it seriously bugs me only b/c i say hi how are you today?

and they just ASSUME that i am trying to force feed the products into their mouth! and give me attitude :wtf:

mind you, not every customer is like this thank God.

Something like this happened to me in Sephora. They must have asked me if I needed help about 4 to 5 times...and one of those times I was in mid lipgloss applying! I totally felt pressured into buying stuff and now I have to go back tomorrow during my break to return lip gloss.

Maybe they feel the need to step it up during the holiday season? :shrugs:

I can understand why the woman got a little upset. Most times, it is hard to even get help. My question is, if the president of the company hadn't been there, would the customers have still gotten help or would they have had to track someone down? I agree there are some people out there who are never going to be happy no matter what but like I said, I can see her side of it.