space heaters?

lvpiggy

feels like pigsomnia
O.G.
Jan 24, 2008
Can anyone recommend a quality space heater that's relatively small & quiet? I'd like to put it in my apartment's living room, which is a little over 300 square feet in total size. However, I only need to warm about half of that space.

The thing is, I have a heating system built in, but the living room only has one thermostat. Unfortunately, it's kind of a long room, and the wall at the far end is pretty much all glass. So, it's impossible for me to get the entire room to a comfortable temperature in the winter. Either the front half of the room is sweltering, or the back half of the room is totally frigid!

I'm hoping if I put a space heater all the way at the far end, I can just set the thermostat based on the front half of the room (^(oo)^)

I strongly recommend the DeLonghi Thermostat. It's wonderful! We have a few in our home so we can keep the heat a little lower as our oil bills can run $1k a month and more! The oil company actually recommended it due to it's safety. It has a thermostat. It looks like a standing radiator. Hope that helps!

i just bought the honeywell heater @ target for $49.99
you can try that ^_^
its my 2nd one bcuz the first 1, my dog pee onto it
my sister also uses that heater as well =)

Attachments

• ff.jpg
    ff.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 69
I strongly recommend the DeLonghi Thermostat. It's wonderful! We have a few in our home so we can keep the heat a little lower as our oil bills can run $1k a month and more! The oil company actually recommended it due to it's safety. It has a thermostat. It looks like a standing radiator. Hope that helps!

This...I have one by Honeywell and paid about $50 at Target. It's oiled filled, radiator coils, on caster wheels and you can set the timer, temp and intensity (lo, med, high). Missed my radiators in my old apartment, so I bought this. I have a really long livingroom/dining room, and it can heat that entire area. My dog used to love it.

You can get a Honey space heater that oscillates and those work good too, but I think the above will do better.

Link below of what I'm talking about.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...alog_result&ct=image&resnum=2&ved=0CCEQ8gIwAQ#

I love Vornado space heaters. They're specially made so that they circulate the heat around the room rather than just spewing out heat in one direction. I had (and still do have it back home in California) one all throughout undergrad and it made my entire room equally toasty. It was my savior in the winter time.

They are pricey at around $60 - $150, but they are well worth it. Be sure to get a wattage that can handle the largeness of your room.

Amazon has quite a few different vornado heaters: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...vornado+heater&x=0&y=0&sprefix=vornado+heater

It's oiled filled, radiator coils, on caster wheels and you can set the timer, temp and intensity (lo, med, high).

The oil helps to maintain the heat so the power isn't on all the time and there is no blower so it is virtually silent except for some noise when it's first turned on as the oil warms. Zero fire hazard like open coil heaters. I have one in the bathroom and another in the bedroom for those really cold night.

Do you have anything covering those windows? Some heavy or thermal/insulating drapes might make a big difference.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I think I'm going to go with one of the oil filled radiators - I really like the idea of a silent space heater! (^(oo)^)

The oil helps to maintain the heat so the power isn't on all the time and there is no blower so it is virtually silent except for some noise when it's first turned on as the oil warms. Zero fire hazard like open coil heaters. I have one in the bathroom and another in the bedroom for those really cold night.

Do you have anything covering those windows? Some heavy or thermal/insulating drapes might make a big difference.

I've got pretty heavy cotton drapes plus a blackout liner on the windows . . . usually that suffices, but it was really cold this weekend and my Reynaud's started acting up, so I figured I had better get a heater before we really get into the winter season (^(oo)^)