Space for Guys & their Hermès

I thought I should mention that Sac a Depeche Light is also available for SO but in single color only. I don't have further details for now. It caught my eye to see the design available for order during the SO preview that my SA showed me. :smile:

I believe the A5 size corresponds to Ulysse MM, which I have. I'm still using my original notepad but have also bought a Pukka Pad A5 refill that has tabs and dividers for future use e.g., here. Once you have the plastic piece from the original pad, you can replace or buy any refills so long as it fits. I use a pen that slots in neatly into the spiral binding of the notepad.

There are plenty of threads here on the forum about the Ulysse that you might find helpful:
Everything about Ulysse Sizes, Colors, Leathers, Inserts/Refills
Hermes Ulysse Notebooks - Refills?

Thank will check it out!

Reactions: Meta
Great color of Steve Light, now available at H.com
View attachment 4197550
I was offered this bag about six weeks ago. I was actually disappointed by it. The bottom surface is actually tapered back to front like a wedge so the bag cannot sit flat in the vertical position. I looked at three different bags and the shapes matched each other but none of them had a bottom surface that looked remotely like the ones on the websites. I'm not sure why there is such a disconnect between product and photos. Perhaps with some use, the bottom might soften or stretch to a flatter surface but I wasn't going to spend that much money on a "maybe it will". Otherwise the bag is very nice and it would have been near perfect for a lighter duty messenger bag.

I was offered this bag about six weeks ago. I was actually disappointed by it. The bottom surface is actually tapered back to front like a wedge so the bag cannot sit flat in the vertical position. I looked at three different bags and the shapes matched each other but none of them had a bottom surface that looked remotely like the ones on the websites. I'm not sure why there is such a disconnect between product and photos. Perhaps with some use, the bottom might soften or stretch to a flatter surface but I wasn't going to spend that much money on a "maybe it will". Otherwise the bag is very nice and it would have been near perfect for a lighter duty messenger bag.
maybe it was deformed by storage

Thank will check it out!

I also use a Ulysse MM and it is roughly A5 size. I use the Hermès inserts because I like the paper and it's one of the better papers for fountain pens but it is easy enough to attach the plastic connector to other notebooks. I don't generally clip pens in the notebook spiral because I don't want to scratch my pens or damage the clips but it does work well with less expensive pens which I don't care whether they get scratched or their clips get deformed over time.

The Neo version includes slip pockets on the front cover which can come in handy at the cost of weight, the front cover edges not matching the back cover edges because of the stitching on the front cover. I'm not a fan of the look of that stitching on Togo covers. I like the clean stitch-less look of the original Ulysse.

Another intriguing option is the EAZip: https://www.hermes.com/ca/en/product/eazip-book-cover-H074743CK7L/

Unfortunately, it does not have a snap closure that you are looking for but the pouch looks handy and it's designed as a cover for any standard A5 notebook.

There is also the Writing Set: https://www.hermes.com/us/en/product/writing-set-medium-model-H068992CK45/

This one is extra luxurious but not easy to find. It fits A5 notepads. I think you can fit your own but the Hermès ones are slimmer so it won't feel as bulky and you can fit two Hermès ones. They are also made of Box so they will scratch up (which is part of Box's charm) but not everyone likes that look.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: J.T.
maybe it was deformed by storage
That's what I had hoped for too but there didn't seem to be excess material to be able to let the bottom surface flatten. The front, back and bottom surfaces were quite taut. My SA also agreed with me that it looked designed that way after we had looked at three different bags that had just arrived from France. I think the bag looks very nice but it isn't as functional as I was hoping for. The wedge shape gives it a refined look when coupled with the tapered flap shape and the single front strap. I think it works for someone who dresses up more. I think a flat bottom shape would have given it a less refined and more utilitarian look (like the standard Steve that I love).

Reactions: allanrvj
That's what I had hoped for too but there didn't seem to be excess material to be able to let the bottom surface flatten. The front, back and bottom surfaces were quite taut. My SA also agreed with me that it looked designed that way after we had looked at three different bags that had just arrived from France. I think the bag looks very nice but it isn't as functional as I was hoping for. The wedge shape gives it a refined look when coupled with the tapered flap shape and the single front strap. I think it works for someone who dresses up more. I think a flat bottom shape would have given it a less refined and more utilitarian look (like the standard Steve that I love).

I have a Steve 35 and i have to make sure to stuff that thing pretty well when I am not using it. Otherwise it will tend to fall over when set down. I love the size of the Steve 35 and the functionality of all the pockets.

The Steve Light is nice; however, it would be too small for me.

Reactions: Hermes_Collector89