Travel Souvenirs from Canada to Paris (plus duty free questions)

Rikko_8

Sep 23, 2011
Hi, I'm heading over to Paris next year from Canada and was just wondering what sort of souvenirs would be appreciated for a friend there? He's in his mid 20's and I was going to bring over a bottle of ice wine but I was thinking maybe that might not be such a good idea since France is already well known for their wines ... or maybe they're not familiar with ice wine at all.

Maple syrup was another suggestion from a friend of mine but I'm not sure how much use a single young guy will have with a random bottle of syrup.

Plus, in terms of actually buying something like ice wine or other souvenirs, is it actually cheaper to buy them in the airport duty free shops or locally? I always wonder if they jack up the prices in the shops and probably the selection may be more limited, no?

On a similar note, will there be restrictions on bringing something like alcohol on board even if it's bought from the airport? Since the shops will be past customs, I assume I would have to pack the booze in my carry on luggage and I don't want it to be confiscated :S

Thank you!

Smarties and Kit Kat bars will be a hit. Those red Canada Maple Leaf mittens that you buy at The Bay went over HUGE when we brought them to friends overseas. Ketchup chips, Maple Creme cookies. Take the ice wine even if just for something different or to compare to french wine. A bottle of Canadian Club rye or Crown Royal whisky. Anything made by native Canadians...mocassins, jewellery, art, etc. Also if he smokes, Canadian cigarettes(don't flame me for that one, please :shame:smile:.

Ketchup chips, Coffee Crisp chocolates, Smarties, and Kinder Surprise eggs (with the toys inside) area always a hit with my friends and coworkers. These are things not available in the USA.

I agree with you that maple syrup's maybe not a great idea for a single guy plus you can get it in most places.

Yes, there will be restrictions about bringing booze on flights. If I recall correctly, you're still subject to the 2 or 3 oz liquid limits so what you buy in duty free might be secured for you to get when you off-board. There are also limits on how much alcohol you can bring across country lines for tax purposes (though you can usually opt to bring in more than the limit and pay additional taxes). The people working in duty free will be able to tell you how much you can buy :smile: I suspect that yes, alcohol would be cheaper in duty free than local shops because Canada has high taxes on booze.

(P.S. - Unless the recipient likes really sweet wine I'd avoid giving ice wine. I'm sure some people like it but to me it tastes like really sweet syrupy cider :giggles:smile:

When my cousin came to Canada from Europe, she bought A LOT of maple syrup in maple leaf bottles, and she was only 19. She also really liked fudge, something she never had back in Slovenia or anywhere else in Europe (and she is one of those world traveller kind of people.) My grandmother gave her those HBC gloves that Cyndee was talking about, and she loved them. Too be honest all my relatives from Europe loved anything with a maple leaf on it, especially when it was food.

You can get maple leaf shaped hard candies made from maple syrup. Years ago friends in the US always wanted us to send Wine Gums since they couldn't get them there. I'm guessing they don't have them in France.

Do you have a Made in Canada store where you live? We have one here and you should be able to find some good ideas there.

Poutine's probably not a good idea since it won't travel well. ;)

No, poutine does not travel well at all! :lol:
There have been some really good suggestions in this thread.
Smoked salmon is another very popular gift - the duty-free shop in the airport will pack it nicely for you.
If your friend likes wine, then by all means, get him a small bottle of ice wine. Purchase it in advance and put it in a large ziplock bag and pack it in your checked luggage. (well, that's what I would do)
I'm not sure what he's into (is he Hockey or Hermes?) or where in Canada you're located, but perhaps a sports-related gift? A Leafs keychain? Canucks coasters? 2010 Olympic something-or-other?
RCMP memorabilia can be popular too.
Good luck and have a great time in Paris!