Southland on NBC

MichelleAntonia

<3
O.G.
Jan 17, 2007
anyone watch the premiere?

this is the most impressive new show i've seen in a while, definitely the best pilot this season. i've already watched it twice and i'm very excited about the next episode.

FINALLY a brand new type of cop show. love it :woohoo:

aklein

Dec 30, 2007
I really liked it too and completely agree about it being one of the best pilots I have seen. It was an incredibly gritty cop show. It almost seems like it was developed for one of the cable channels. I hope it sticks around and I will definitely be tuning in next week.

LambKid

Nov 7, 2008
i really liked the show. i thought the interaction between the cop and that spoiled kid who drove the yellow mustang was hilarious!

spoiled kid (as he's getting arrested) : do you know who my father is?
cop: no, why? you're mom never told you?

that made me laugh for so long! i really hope this show sticks around, i feel like it has everything

MichelleAntonia

<3
O.G.
Jan 17, 2007
that whole scene was genius!

is it me or is it a *tiny* bit inside jokey making the main character come from a rich family, calling him tori spelling etc, when he "came from" the OC? :lol:

loved when the rich kid asked if he was being punked and insisted the cops were actors :lol:

Tangerine

Layered.Like nachos.
O.G.
Jan 16, 2007
loved when the rich kid asked if he was being punked and insisted the cops were actors :lol:

Ohhhh ok, thats what that was. LOLLL!

I'm really done with the whodunit cop thing.. I watch a couple that I like, but I'm not keen to watch anymore AT ALL. But I like the whole cop world so this really works for me. Its not about perps or motives or a big puzzle. Its just about daily life.

The authenticity of locale, people, and regional details as well as the filming style reminds me of "Friday Night Lights" The themes, energy, and kind of frenetic 'day in the life' format is sort of like ER too and the movie "Training Day". And of course, it is reminiscent of "Cops" too. I've never seen "The Wire" but I've heard favorable comparisons and that probably makes sense too. So alot of things come to mind, but it all adds up to be very compelling to me. There was a refreshing lack of major cliches and attempts at the Bad Boys look how cool these cops are style of jockeying, with the lame one liners.

Either way, I'll def be watching. Its not like I was watching Private Practice at that time anyway. :lol:

MichelleAntonia

<3
O.G.
Jan 17, 2007
^there were a lot of things i missed the first time around that i caught the second. although, a lot of their NAMES i'm still in the dark about!

this show reminds me a LOT of crash, with the pairs of cops/characters and their stories crossing and eventually all connecting. but this show feels better than the movie, it's a LOT more realistic, the connections aren't forced, and it seems like people's motivations are a lot more realistic. it's also got a dash of training day and LA confidential, both great movies.

but the show definitely is immediately more interesting than a best picture. that just goes to show yet again how tv is consistently so much better than movie :P maybe i'm biased but hey... i find it to be the truth.

L-U-V-Purses

I'm in character
Oct 1, 2008
I really like this show. I'm not very into cop/crime shows but something about this one caught my eye. I think it may have been the fact that it seemed so realistic and very non-cliche. I'll be tuning in Thursday.

Mar 19, 2007
Great Show! I was getting so sick of the previews but am so glad they didn't deter me from watching the pilot. I love how it's a "day in the life." Unlike CSI where everyone works together on the same case (which rarely happens IRL), there are so many different things going on. Loved it!

desiuny

Quest: SHOP
O.G.
Mar 9, 2008
I was a fan of Women's Murder Club and i loved how they solve the case at the end of each episode. I hope Southland continues like this. I loved Ben in The O.C. so i'm happy they brought him back for another show.