South sea pearls advice.

For me brand does not matter as long as the pearl is of good quality. I like the cream pearls better. More classy but that is just my opinion :smile:

As long as the pearl is high quality & has excellent luster, the brand is secondary in importance. As for color, South Sea pearls come in the white variety or the golden variety. White can be white with rose tones, silvery tones, ect while golden can be deep golden, a butter cream color & every shade between. Tahitian pearls are naturally black, grey, silver with all sorts of tones from pistachio, aubergine, blue, silver, ect. Luster, thickness of nacre, surface smoothness are important factors in choosing pearls. The higher the quality the pearl, the better value for your money, no matter what the brand.

As for which color to choose, pick the color that flatters your skin tone.

I want a pair of south sea Pearl stud earrings. My two main questions are: does brand matter and the white vs cream color?

Personally, I would go for Mikimoto pearls. However, it boils down to personal preference. It's like comparing GIA diamonds versus non-graded diamonds.

White or cream or pinkish depends on your skin tone. Try it out and you will know which one suits you best, go for the one that makes you glow.

As for the nacre, my tip is if you can see your reflection on the pearl, the clearer the better. So make sure you inspect it closely.

Hope to see your reveal soon.

I want a pair of south sea Pearl stud earrings. My two main questions are: does brand matter and the white vs cream color?

Hi

Brand doesn't matter to me as much as quality. You can get really good quality pearls from trusted jewellers too. If you are looking for white - white white vs cream white.. I think in general south sea is whiter and more satin like and akoyas are creamier.

Look for a shade you like in person and that look nice on you when wearing.

And my view is go for the biggest your budget and ears can take. :smile:

I dont think brand matters...I bought one from a store that sells expensive stuff..I seldom used it and then one day I decided to wear it the pearl fell off the lock...

The quality of the pearl is what separates the men from the boys.

The color should light up your face & the pearl should have beautiful luster.
Try on different color ranges to see what suits you best. Size as well should
fit your ear.

If you are a first time pearl buyer, I'd go into Tiffany, Mikimoto to look
at quality & color or a jeweler that you have confidence in..

The quality of the pearl is what separates the men from the boys.

The color should light up your face & the pearl should have beautiful luster.
Try on different color ranges to see what suits you best. Size as well should
fit your ear.

If you are a first time pearl buyer, I'd go into Tiffany, Mikimoto to look
at quality & color or a jeweler that you have confidence in..

Are all mikimoto pearls considered equal or do I have to be more educated then just the size I want?

Mikimoto has a grading scale for quality, in addition to size. A, AA, AAA, etc.

They usually have three colors in south seas - the typical white/cream, a golden yellow, and Tahitian blue/black/green.

I'm not sure if this is just where I come from in Asia but Mikimoto has grading for quality for akoyas but not for south sea. I inquired about a pair of Tahitian earrings and they said they already choose the better quality ones out.

I got mine from a Jeweller who did gave me ratings for my pearls. She's a trusted jewller and friend but I did not have any official papers though