SOS! What do you do with curry?

I recently discovered that food dyes likes tumeric or that red colour from oily tomato sauce is photo sensitive. So after you have washed it you can fade it out in bright sunlight. It really works (did it on a white shirt recently - washed it then lay it in the sun for 4 hours for the last little mark to fade out).

But I don't know if this will fade your scarf too. HTH, Good luck Shopmom.

My only concern with doing it yourself is that you will rub the dye in....

Make sure you use cold water if you try it....

Be very careful with oxyclean on silk.

We use it at the bridal salon but very carefully....too much takes the sheen out of the silk...

I have had my dry cleaner take out curry before and it was just fine....Dry cleaners do not set stains...we do by using the wrong water temp and wrong soaps...

But I am in the don't wash silk yourself camp...I have seen water damage to silk and it is not pretty....

Waiting for the spots to dry and then we'll see. This is what I just did. Wet a linen cloth with cold water from the sink and added a few drops of Dove. Blotted the spots and then gently rubbed in a circle. Then rinsed like the dickens. Don't know yet if it worked completely but a lot of the curry color did come out.....except for a faint mark that remains from the worst of the drops....which, I can live with if it's faint enough but I won't know until it's completely dry.

ugh........

Shopmom411, If you went to where I'm thinking you went, I LOVE THE CHICKEN TIKAL MASALA!

I don't gots any experience with scarves but hopefully you'll get it out! I'm sure with the ladies have wonderful advice!

I'm soooo hungry but I can only have damn liquids..GRH

Oh...Funny you said that..I just Cooked and made..and I mean HOMEMADE Chicken Tikal Masala Curry (Xtra Hot) yesterday and literally were scarfing it an hour so ago...sans the scarf!!

Shopmom..darling....Sorry to hear about the Drips...I hope with all our tpfers suggestions, you can be able to take that stubborn Turmeric dye out of that precious H Scarf!!!

you know how you get red wine stains out by pouring boiling water through the fabric from about 2 ft high? maybe that would work. it uses the water pressure to push the stuff through the fabric.

Waiting for the spots to dry and then we'll see. This is what I just did. Wet a linen cloth with cold water from the sink and added a few drops of Dove. Blotted the spots and then gently rubbed in a circle. Then rinsed like the dickens. Don't know yet if it worked completely but a lot of the curry color did come out.....except for a faint mark that remains from the worst of the drops....which, I can live with if it's faint enough but I won't know until it's completely dry.

ugh........

Try "Blowdrying" it on low...it might dry "Quicker"

My only concern with doing it yourself is that you will rub the dye in....

Make sure you use cold water if you try it....

Be very careful with oxyclean on silk.

We use it at the bridal salon but very carefully....too much takes the sheen out of the silk...

I have had my dry cleaner take out curry before and it was just fine....Dry cleaners do not set stains...we do by using the wrong water temp and wrong soaps...

But I am in the don't wash silk yourself camp...I have seen water damage to silk and it is not pretty....

good info...my dry cleaner is ....well, not good...., but I imagine that s'mom has a better one on the mainland.

yes, oxyclean in just the absolute teeniest bit. From my background of painting on it, I am pretty brave with silk, but can certainly see the need for caution with our H beauties!!

I was also going to suggest blocking out the rest of the scarf with a towel or whatever and then turning a UV light on it....but only if the stain is on the white part....

you know how you get red wine stains out by pouring boiling water through the fabric from about 2 ft high? maybe that would work. it uses the water pressure to push the stuff through the fabric.

You want me to stand on a ladder with a pot of boiling water and pour it over my scarf in the hopes that the gushing flow of steaming water will force the dye out the fabric? And all without giving myself third degree burns?????? Or scalding the cats?????? :wtf:

lemme go try it.................