SOS! Trying to help my boyfriend make a SO in France!

hello dutchglory,

Could you share your upcoming experience at the Lille store? I would love to know if you are able to do a SO. Also, please find out from your nice SA if their current policy is to accept SO only in July and Feb. I am planning to be there in Aug, so it may be a little too late. Oh well....will have to try again in feb 08. Also, I love to know what other bags they have in the store.

apologies in advance to bombard you with so many Qs.

Why don't you get all the vat back? (is this special to H?) What is the % tax charged by Fedex?

If you go to France and are lucky enough to get a bag, do you get all the vat back when you leave? How much is customs coming into the US?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am planning a trip....

I think the VAT refund amount depends on what you are purchasing. For example, at department stores, I believe you are entitled to a VAT refund of like 10%-12% on purchases like clothing and handbags. Some things garner more refund, while others less.

The FedEx charge is the import tax...basically, it's a percentage of the cost of what ever you're importing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that it's something like 10% on the item's declared value over $2000? If this is the case, then the whatever refund you receive from the VAT would essentially be used to pay the customs fee :P

This is why I would like to be able to pick up the bag when I arrive in December...at the very least I could attempt to bypass customs and avoid having to pay the duty tax :sneaky:. Then again, I'm not really sure I can tell them "Please have the bag arrive on the day I arrive in Lille". It's complicated, but how wonderful would it be if it all worked out??

I will tell my boyfriend to put in my SO...I have nothing to lose, I think :tup:

Wow, I dont know what's in the air but there really seems to be a lovely epidemic of wonderful boyfriends on the H sub lately. Husbands, too! WOW!

Ok, so just a post to follow up on my special order situation:

My boyfriend asked his sister to go into Hermes to see if she can fill out my SO by proxy. The SA told her that she couldn't and that I would have to fill out any SO's personally. So there's that. No Special Orders by proxy allowed. Fortunately, the SA invited me to contact her when I come to Lille in December to discuss my options.

My request for a 35cm Black Box Birkin, Gold Hardware was quoted a price of €10,000 Euros, and a 1-1.5 year turnaround time. 10,000 EUROS!!! Personally, I think that is completely crazy. I wouldn't doubt if this is true, especially since Box is very rare these days...but €10,000...this is way too much for me. Again, please consider that this was what my BF's sister was told by the Hermes SA, so I'd like to see if someone else can confirm its veracity.

I guess my next step is to visit the Hermes boutique in Lyon and Geneva when I go on vacation in September. I will do more research and ask more pointed questions there. Not holding my breath for a Birkin during my visit right then and there, but I hope to be further enlightened.

I had no idea how excruciatingly complicated and difficult it was to get a Birkin! This is really a true test of whether or not you love handbags. I hope I can survive it :Push:

Is 10000 including VAT? as the VAT rate in France I believe is 19.6 % you could deduct that, which leaves you a little over 8000......

Why can't your bf file an SO as a present to you ?

Is 10000 including VAT? as the VAT rate in France I believe is 19.6 % you could deduct that, which leaves you a little over 8000......

Why can't your bf file an SO as a present to you ?

True, I didn't consider that may be the price including the VAT...but still, isn't 8000€ still a lot for a 35cm Birkin? :confused1:

I'd ask my boyfriend to file an SO for me as a present, but he really doesn't support my desire to purchase a Birkin. He's gotten a little better at it though...baby steps, people!! :P

Ok, so just a post to follow up on my special order situation:

My boyfriend asked his sister to go into Hermes to see if she can fill out my SO by proxy. The SA told her that she couldn't and that I would have to fill out any SO's personally. So there's that. No Special Orders by proxy allowed. Fortunately, the SA invited me to contact her when I come to Lille in December to discuss my options.

My request for a 35cm Black Box Birkin, Gold Hardware was quoted a price of €10,000 Euros, and a 1-1.5 year turnaround time. 10,000 EUROS!!! Personally, I think that is completely crazy. I wouldn't doubt if this is true, especially since Box is very rare these days...but €10,000...this is way too much for me. Again, please consider that this was what my BF's sister was told by the Hermes SA, so I'd like to see if someone else can confirm its veracity.

I guess my next step is to visit the Hermes boutique in Lyon and Geneva when I go on vacation in September. I will do more research and ask more pointed questions there. Not holding my breath for a Birkin during my visit right then and there, but I hope to be further enlightened.

I had no idea how excruciatingly complicated and difficult it was to get a Birkin! This is really a true test of whether or not you love handbags. I hope I can survive it :Push:

Thanks for the update. I too find 10,000 euros staggering and am not sure how they could charge that...

wow...they take in special orders in July/Dec...???
In looking for 35 birkins...in black/raisin with gold h/w
but I'm not sure which leather is better (I don't like too slouchy bag)..so any1 can give me yr opinions??? on the leather?? Thks in advance
If they can guarantee I can have my bag in 6 mths...then I shall time it properly...maybe ask my brother to do the special order end of the year...& I will travel to France next June....to collect it..hmmm.

Just read the above...how come Euro10,000...is it b'cos the box is rare??? or b'cos it is a special order...