SOS: CHANEL Vintage Jumbo XL v. Proenza Schouler PS1 medium

bdrmflr

O.G.
Aug 14, 2009
Hi, lovely tPFs!

I have quite the dilemma. I'm finally getting my HG :yahoo:, CHANEL Chevron Black Jumbo. I need help with my next purchase, asap! I'm quite the loyalist to Madame Coco and am not sure if I should use this opportunity to get two Chanels (vintage xl and chevron) or step outside the box with the Proenza Schouler PS1, most likely black.

My concerns with the Vintage Jumbo XL is that it maybe too boxy, too heavy, too large, and/or too gaudy and will end up being a display piece, in my closet. I know that the XL can stand the test of time, quality-wise, but I like my bags to be a bit more discreet although I am in love with the bag. I am in awe of its timeless beauty. My concerns with the PS1 are all of the QC issues. I don't want a bag that costs over $1000 to have ripped linings, chipped hardware etc. within a few months of purchase. Not to mention, I'm not sure that it has that juno se qua; or if it's a bit too masculine for a handbag.

However, the PS1 is relatively new so it should be around for awhile. Whereas the XL is a discontinued vintage that is harder to find at a decent price point (sub $3k). I wish I could buy all three, but I can't justify buying three pricey handbags at once. Please, help me decide with support for your answers. TIA!

**Keep in mind, I'm a college student with an Alexander Wang-esque (Pre-fall 2010) fashion sense and a taller than average, slender (but not "skinny") build.**

Credit: Barney's/tPF

Attachments

• ProenzaSchouler07.jpg
    ProenzaSchouler07.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 2,622
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 2,349
Last edited:
PS1, m'dear - but if you like that style and are concerned about the QC issues (and that's something that has kept me from that bag as well, truth be told) why not consider the Mulberry Alexa in black that's coming out soon? It's of a similar aesthetic - a bit more feminine than the PS1, actually - and Mulberry bags are of top quality. You can run them over with a truck and they still look great, if not BETTER than when originally purchased. And the price point is slightly lower than the PS1, if not identical. This makes more sense to me than two Chanels at this point - after all, you are very young and it's an ideal time to experiment with different styles and designers - and it sounds like you yourself are a bit wary about having a large Chanel sitting in your closer, unused.

img-thing-1-1.jpg

Attachments

• th_img-thing-1-1.jpg
    th_img-thing-1-1.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 1,297
if it's chanel vs PS1, i would go for the PS1
but i also agree with loquita about the mulberry alexa! i'm not a major fan of the snakeskin trim, but i am seriously considering getting the black buffalo leather coming out in fall 2010

Thanks Loquita and devilzwind! I've had the Mulberry Alexa vs. Proenza Schouler PS1 debate myself and the PS1 won. The Alexa is too vintagey-looking in Oak and the Black is not a very sleek design or much my style.

Here are pictures of the XL and the PS1 being worn casually. I feel bad using "celebrities," because I don't condone that culture ;). Yes, I realize that two are pictures of the vintage jumbo and not the XL, but they have the same vibe.:

Attachments

• FP_4543943_Barton_Mischa_VAH_021610.jpg
    FP_4543943_Barton_Mischa_VAH_021610.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 3,059
  • IMG_0717.jpg
    IMG_0717.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 1,872
  • spd_20080411101755_b.jpg
    spd_20080411101755_b.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 4,444
  • proenza-schouler-ps1-purse-6.jpg
    proenza-schouler-ps1-purse-6.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 6,094
You must have read my mind, I was having the same debate - Chanel Jumbo vs. PS1 in black. But the quality issues were worrying me. What to do! I posted this on the Chanel thread as well.

hey bdrmflr,

I was thinking of getting that PS too...

also, I got the Chanel vintage jumbo xl black lambskin recently too.

I ended up getting a totally different satchel and don't need another one right now.

The PS is cool but more masculine than the Chanel.
I like the vintage Chanel, but it can be kind of heavy. Also, sometimes I bump into things- not used to the size as far as a shoulder bag.
I didn't like the clasp on the Chanel being so big - but still like the overall purse. (don't want in your face labels)
The Chanel is awesome overall, though, and I don't see a lot of people carrying it which is nice.

GL

Tough choice. They are both so different. I was also thinking the Mulberry Alexa would be a good choice. I've seen the PS1 in person. I like it, but it is a bit masculine.

PS1 :love:
I've had my black medium for a half year now and just bought a smoke medium.

Attachments

• 141.jpg
    141.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,538
  • ps22.jpg
    ps22.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,841
  • smoke 11.jpg
    smoke 11.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,732
  • smoke 22.jpg
    smoke 22.jpg