Sorry this is long....but please help me decide!

Oct 17, 2007
A little backstory: this past year, I moved away from LV purchases and instead bought two BV's (which I love!). I mainly moved away from purchasing new LV because their overall quality is just not what it used to be while their prices have continued to rise. Also, while I personally never had a customer service issue, it seems (based on posts) that their CS was declining as well.

There was one LV bag that I regretted not getting (Speedy 35 in DE). Such a classic, all weather, workhorse kind of bag, you know? I toyed around with the idea of preloved for a while...but in truth I am not happy right now with the state of affairs on eBay, and I didn't have a tremendous amount of luck finding this bag on consignment websites.

Now I've had the good fortune of getting a bit of what I consider "found money" that would cover almost 3/4 the price of the Speedy. I'm really tempted to buy, especially since my out of pocket cost will be low and it's a bag I've wanted for a long time. On the other hand, my issues with LV (concerns about quality, exorbitant prices, and questionable CS) aren't negated by the fact that it won't cost me a lot.

Please help me decide!

Ack! No, please don't move this to the LV forum--they are a fantastic bunch of ladies (and gents) but I have no doubt that they will be enablers!! :roflmfao: I need more measured opinions!

I guess my alternatives would be to 1) save the money with the intention of saving up and getting another BV at some point in the future 2) buy slg's (maybe a BV lanyard and/or wallet) or 3) just save the money with no future plan, and see if something else catches my eye (I'm generally pretty good with my collection right now)

Personally, I have never had any problems with my Speedy. Neither do I know anyone who ever complained about quality or customer service.
I only own one LV bag and one LV wallet and I think they are the best purchases I have made so far. I have been a bag collector since I was 24....

I'd say go for the Speedy DE since you've always wanted it. And you probably won't need to deal with customer service at all after your purchase, it's a very straightforward purchase and the Speedy itself doesn't require any fuss over. I notice every time I see a Speedy DE these days, I have a Speedy mono and I think sometimes I get attention for all the wrong reasons because the mono is more common.

However you might want to mentally hold it up to your BV's you have right now and compare which one you would appreciate more/less/equally. If you lean towards BV, then stick with BV.

If you want a duffel shape (vs LV damier color), maybe you can look into Gucci which is in the same price range.

OK, so I'm one of those people who never would have seen your post if it was in the LV forum! Personally, I'm not a fan of the LV canvas bags. I know they are durable and light, but the fact that I see them everywhere turns me off. They look great on others, but theyre just not for me, KWIM? That said, I will take Rainrowan's suggestion one step further and suggest that you wait a little while (the LV Speedy isn't going anywhere), and compare EVERY bag you see that catches your eye to the Speedy you want. If the Speedy consistently wins, go for it. But if you find that the other bags look more special or luxurious, then that will give you your answer.

Sometimes, it takes some time to let go of a bag we wanted for a long time -- it's like the length of time we spent wanting it is proportional to the time it takes to realize we've moved on and it no longer fits who we are.

I think you need a reconnaissance mission. Go to LV hold the DE Speedy in your hand but don't buy it just yet. Take a trip (prob just down the road) and hang around in BV and check out poss alternatives.

If after all that DE Speedy is still calling go for it. There's no hurry anyway so take your time.

I think you need a reconnaissance mission. Go to LV hold the DE Speedy in your hand but don't buy it just yet. Take a trip (prob just down the road) and hang around in BV and check out poss alternatives.

If after all that DE Speedy is still calling go for it. There's no hurry anyway so take your time.
THIS. :biggrin: :heart: Your 'found money' is not going anywhere.

Thanks everyone! As fate would have it, my local LV and BV stores are directly across from each other in the mall (dueling handbags! :roflmfao:). I did a recon mission to LV a little over a year ago specifically to try out the Speedy 30 and 35 DE (and loved the 35), but it's probably worth another trip just to refresh my memory.

I'm not in a hurry, but I do hate being in limbo...so hopefully a recon mission will also help me to make a decision sooner rather than later!