Sorry LV, I guess I will have to pass on this piece for now...

skyrider007

Finer Things 'r Good
Sep 5, 2007
Following my previous thread (http://forum.purseblog.com/louis-vuitton/thinking-about-getting-new-watch-2009-should-i-411108.html) on whether I should get an LV Tambour GMT watch or not, I have made an online order for the watch on Sunday night. However, I have decided to change my mind and cancelled the order today. I am so sorry to disappoint many of you who expect a reveal of the LV watch. The reasons for the cancellation are:

1. It was an impulsive order to be honest. I already have a few watches in my collection and do not actually need anymore.
2. £2,000 is quite a lot of money and I would rather save that money for the time being. I couldn't make myself part with that much money. Having £2k less in my bank account would make me feel slightly insecure as I like to see a healthy balance at all times.

With this in mind, I still love the design of the Tambour watch and I am sure that LV will soon redeem itself as an avant garde timepiece manufacturer. In a year or two I may consider purchasing an LV watch but not at this moment.

The piece I am currently wearing is a mid-size Omega Seamster 300M Chronometer (worn by Pierce Brosnan in several James Bond films). The watch is over 15 years old and was passed on from my dad as my 14th birthday present. To me, the watch holds a strong sentimental value as it reminds me of my father every time I look at the watch. To date, the watch is still working in perfect condition despite having to manually wind it if not worn for a day. It gains roughly +10 second a week but is still a fine piece of mechanical watch that keeps accurate time. The watch is COSC certified as a chronometer.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Again, I would like to thank everyone who has given their inputs in my previous thread and apologize for disappointing those who were waiting for a reveal of the Tambour watch.

Attachments

• IMG_2349.jpg
    IMG_2349.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 685
  • IMG_2351.jpg
    IMG_2351.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 660
  • IMG_2358.jpg
    IMG_2358.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 654
  • IMG_2353.jpg
    IMG_2353.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 636
  • IMG_2356.jpg
    IMG_2356.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 611
Last edited:
I think you're smart to cancel the purchase -- (tangent alert) I actually had my eye on a $6000 US Rolex watch, and actually put a $250 deposit down - while I have the money, I think I am going to cancel that purchase as well. A big reason for me is the economy -- with the US and EU economic environment, I think it's more responsible for me to pay off my mortgage and (small) remaining car loan...and I can always buy the watch later on! :smile:

I agree with you too. Your reasons for cancelling are very sensible considering the current financial climate.

The watch you have is lovely and holds sentimental value to you.

Skyrider, the Tambour watch is very fashion forward, beautiful and youthful, however, as I stated on your previous thread-go with a Swiss watch maker known for watches IMO!

A lot of watch collectors choose watches they have to wind! My Rolex has to be re-set and wound if I haven't worn it for a few days even although it is automatic! It's kind of like looking after the vachetta on an LV purse, a labour of love!

The workmanship on the SWISS watches is second to none!

It's what they do, the only thing they do, and they do it best!:tup:

Good For you for following your heart-Instincts are there for a reason and I am glad you did not ignore yours!
Love your Family Heirloom watch more!

I think that you made the right choice. Omega watches have stood the test of time. In a sense, you can consider Omega to be one of the LV's of the watch world; they were an innovator and a company whose name evokes tradition, heritage, and quality. Their watches have excellent movements and their cases can withstand a plethora of battery. LV watches are nice on the exterior, but the guts of the watch left a lot to be desired. Their movements, to put it bluntly, "suck." They were commissioned to a Swiss watch manufacturer and they didn't do very good job of designing the movement. In addition, since LV is so new to the watch market, no one knows how long their watches will last and the value that they will hold in the future.

^^^You are an intelligent young man. It is hard to save, especially when one loves luxury items. My parents have both worn the same watch for over 30 yrs a gold Rolex oyster and it still works and looks great. Think of the money they saved not buying a new watch every few years, and they can afford to buy any watch they like. I hope I will love my Rolex for as long. I have had mine for about 6 months.

It sounds to me you have given much thought to your decision and that is the way to make a decision when making a significant purchase like a LV watch. You want to feel good when making such a decision and be able to feel that way each time you would look down at your wrist. You will be able to buy the LV watch when it is the right time for you. I have learned over many years (yes, I am old) that when I hesitate and find logical reasons why not to buy something, it is not meant to be, at least not at that moment. You have such a magnificent piece handed down to you, that you really already have the best there is in my opinion. Sure, we would love to see photos of the new LV watch, but we would much prefer you to be as stress-free, as possible while enjoying the forum with us!