Sorry Buyer, Returned Bag, What to do?

1. Hi! We are running a fun little TPF community giveaway to win a new Polene bag! Head over to this thread to enter. Good luck!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. So I sold a coach bag on ebay on dec 6th, buyer paid the following day (price was $254 plus $12.95 shipping) I shipped it out right away with signature confirmation. Package reached her location 3 days later and a pickup notice was left according to the tracking. Well 11 days went by with no movement on the tracking. So I emailed her and ask if she had recieved it, thinking maybe it just didnt get scanned as delivered. She writes back, "no its been kinda cold here and I just havent felt like getting out of the house. I'll go get it this week" Ummmm ok, if I paid $254 for something on ebay you can bet I want my item. But ok whatever. So I got busy with christmas and didnt check back in on it till around the 27th or so. It still had not been picked up! So I email again very politely and just said, "Hi havent heard from you just wanting to make sure you are happy with your bag"
    Response: "Sorry but I'm not sure if I am happy with it yet lol, havent bothered to get it yet. Will let you know if I'm not"
    WTF... ok so fine, I decided I wasnt gonna worry about it, I hadnt used the money in my paypal account yet even though I had really wanted to grab some shoes during the after christmas sales.
    So thursday (1/22) I go to get my mail and what do I find? The bag returned to me because it had been unclaimed for over 30 days! So I come home and email her and tell her I have recieved it back.
    Her response "You need to resend that to me immediately! I paid for the bag and shipping already so you will need to resend that to me at your expense and I expect to recieve it promptly as I need it for a trip Im going on"
    OK this ran right through me!!! I still havent decided what to do, I really want to refund her money and relist the bag and be done with her. I know I'll get negative feedback though but this is ridiculous! Especially the fact that she expects me to pay to reship it to her when shes the reason it was returned cause shes too lazy to go to the post office! What do you all think, am I obligated to resend it to her? Or should I risk the neg and refund her then relist?

2. Go to USPS website and look up their information on unclaimed packages and send it to her. Then state if she is willing to pay the $___ shipping fee to reship to her with signature confirmation then you would be happy to do so and if not then you would be happy to refund her money.

OR

I would refund and be done with her. If she leaves bad feedback you have documentation from her that says that she didn't "feel like" picking it up so it was due to USPS not you that it was returned (if they remove feedback due to customs and shipping delays they will at least consider removing yours).

3. This is from the USPS website, I can't get it to pull up the second and final notice chart though.

How long does it take for a mailpiece to be returned to sender?

The amount of time that it takes mail to be returned to sender will vary based on the services that have been purchased for the mailpiece, the mail class that the mailpiece was sent at, and mail services that affect delivery time, such as a Change of Address or Hold. In addition, certain services or mailpieces require the intended recipient to be available at time of delivery. In these situations, if the customer is not available, the carrier will leave a notice, and the item will be stored at the Post Office for a specified period of time. Due to these multiple factors, expectations as to how long it will take a mailpiece to be returned to sender should not be set, except in the case of mail that is on the Second / Final Notice and Return Dates Chart[/COLOR].

Note: Mail that is returned to sender returns at the same mail class at which it was sent.

http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?session={a8fcc210-ea3b-11dd-57a5-000000000000}&event=1&view()=c%7B1f77c2c0-57e2-11dc-51b6-000000000000%7D&objectId=&eksObjectId=&objectType=Case&isJumpEnabled=false&isContentJumpEnabled=false&vendorKey=&objTitle=&versionId=1641&searchProperties=type:natural&naturalAdvance=false&allStr=&phraseStr=&anyStr=&noneStr=&keywordStr=&tTitle=&topicFromSub=&topicsORSubUrl=&report(0000)=p{fd8043a0-6973-11dd-e6c4-000000000000}&bcobjectId={e4ae5a10-6973-11dd-e6c4-000000000000}&search=returned&topicAndSubtopic=Business$ALL

4. wow... she has some nerve

send this

Dear buyer-

This transaction was completed on Dec. 6th and mailed the following day. According to USPS tracking you received a notice that the package was being held at your local post office on ?. As a courtesy I followed up with you in email on ? and ? to let you know the post office had your item and you would need to arrange to pick it up as a signature was required. You responded that you would be picking up the item within a week and then that you might not be satisfied with the bag, although you had not seen the item.

Because you did not pick the item up, the bag has been returned to me. You have two choices
    1) pay $? to have the item shipped back to you
    2) receive a refund minus all shipping, and eBay fees

As a seller I completed my obligation once the package was attempted to be delivered. As you failed to pick the item up in the given timeframe by USPS reshipping fees would be your responsiblity.

Please advise which option you would like. If I receive no response by ? I will automatically process option 2.

5. What an unreasonable buyer. She should be apologizing to you and offering to pay the extra shipping rather than "demanding" you re-send immediately at your expense. I would not want to have any further dealings with her and certainly wouldn't cowtow to her request. I usually will acquiesce to avoid a confontation and a possible neg but not for this one.

6. OMG... please post buyer's ID so that we can block her. SHE'S NUTS!

I wonder if you also cannot file some sort of complaint against her w/ Ebay..??

7. oh my goodness! Sorry about what happened to you. If I were you I will probably just refund her. I understand that she might give you a negative feedback, but at the same time you don't want to risk yourself with $254. who knows what she is going to do next? It's better off to keep your bag and relist it. It's very hard to do business these days.
    by the way, coachfreak, i think what your message is well written. That's very nice of you!

8. I really like coachfreak's message...I say send something like that to her now!
    Keep us updated please! This lady sounds psycho...

9. Nice letter Coach Freak!!!

10. What a crazy buyer! How do you let something you wanted sit in a post office especially if you paid a couple hundred for? I think she is responisble for paying the shipping fees for it to go back to her. How is that your problem that she sat on her lazy ass for a month? How far can the post office be? Or just refund her & tell her where to go! People have no respect for others or even for policies!

Keep us updated & good luck!

11. What a fruitcake. I would do what Coachfreak recommended.

12. ITA! I would also contact Trust & Safety to let them know what is going on. She is a bad buyer, and eBay needs to be made aware of this. And as Ellie Mae suggested, please post her ID so we can block her.

13. One more vote for sending Coachfreak's email. Great email, btw, Coachfreak :tup:

OP, so sorry you are going through this. What a nightmare! Could you please post the buyer's id or PM me so that I can block her? TIA!!

14. Thanks guys, I was typing it on one of my small computers so I really tried to check for errors!

People like that just irritate the mess out of me.

I agree with all, post her ID so we call all block her since one of us that sells Coach may fall victim to her crap. Also, if it reaches 45 days she can't file with Paypal so whatever you refunded her she would be stuck with. I highly recommend contacting Paypal because you don't want her making a claim and Paypal refunding shipping. Be sure they have noted that the person failed to pick up the item and you have USPS confirmation that a delivery notice was left and the buyer indicated in emails that she knew and was planning to pick it up.