Sorry but I do need help! BV or Bal?

BgaHolic

Emma 4ever in my <3
O.G.
May 23, 2009
Apparently, it seems, the lambskin leather on a Balenciaga bag is unsurpassed. I haven't seen one IRL yet, as I haven't had the time to break away to shop and won't until the holiday time. I have been reading the Balenciaga threads and Bottega Veneta and find both are in love with the leather. So - my question is is there another attraction?

The BV seems very conservative and distinct with its woven pattern. The Bal has a definitive rocker kick to it. ie. long tassel, buckle and studs. I am just trying to figure out what my next bag should be. I also liked a plain Miu Miu with two front pockets that TPF wrote up a month ago, but it says Miu Mium on it which is making me shy away from it. I am choosy. I only want smooshy understated lambskin leather with a bit of structure at the bottom and preferably feet.

Any suggestions?

I'm 98% a Bal girl. I love the colors, the leather, the understated (non-logo) look. However one of my FEW non-bal bags is a classic BV woven hobo in black (the most popular one). It looks a "little older" for those times when I feel like I need to look more demure - but it's a classic bag and that's why I love it.

Balenciaga has my heart though. The bags are so unique and look like nothing else. Try them both out in the store (NM or Saks or other dept. store) to see which one you feel ike you need next.

HTH

I like both for the different reasons you've stated.

However, considering you wanted one that is structured and with feet then I would think BV is your choice. The 2 bbags which I know has feet are older season Part Time & Work. But I may be wrong as I'm still an infant to Bal.

For BV, there is the Montaigne (with feet). If you want a slighly more structured bag, BV have more to offer: Pyramid/Montaigne/NewBall/Sloane etc.. They are 'more' structured but they are not boxy. They'll still slouch and break-in over use but will not 'crumble' like Bbags are supposed to.

HTH!

Apparently, it seems, the lambskin leather on a Balenciaga bag is unsurpassed. I haven't seen one IRL yet, as I haven't had the time to break away to shop and won't until the holiday time. I have been reading the Balenciaga threads and Bottega Veneta and find both are in love with the leather. So - my question is is there another attraction?

The BV seems very conservative and distinct with its woven pattern. The Bal has a definitive rocker kick to it. ie. long tassel, buckle and studs. I am just trying to figure out what my next bag should be. I also liked a plain Miu Miu with two front pockets that TPF wrote up a month ago, but it says Miu Mium on it which is making me shy away from it. I am choosy. I only want smooshy understated lambskin leather with a bit of structure at the bottom and preferably feet.

Any suggestions?

Bal has more interesting colours than BV. With Bal, there's a rocker-vibe to it which BV don't.

I'm attracted with BV because of the process of making the bag. It looks simple but it's a complicated process. Nonetheless, both are understated, stunning and appeal to different segments.:yes: I think it's always nice to have a diverse mix of collection.

One thing that strikes me is that BV bags feel and look more luxurious than Bals. I have a BV hobo that's more than 5 years old, which I still carry now and then, and it's built to last. The quality and craftsmanship on a BV is quite unsurpassed - the weave is perfect, leather's thick, soft and buttery. I have not heard of 'fading' issues with BV, and my black BV has not turned green.

That said, it will never 'melt' like a Bal, and it doesn't take on that cool, 'vintage' vibe that Bals do as they age. A Bal give punch to any outfit; I feel like it just kicks up the look a few notches y'know?

However I'd say BV is more understated than Bal. It's lined in suede, for instance. While a fabric lining is infinitely more practical, the suede attests to the 'stealth' factor of a BV :amuse:

Whichever you choose, you'll have a beautiful bag at the end of the day. It's really a matter of how you want to feel when you wear it. :smile:

I think it depends on what you want. If you want unsurpassed quality and fabulous construction, then pick a BV. I absolutely love the way their bags are made. Their look is classic and timeless. But, I do find BVs a little quiet for me, and a little too "demure" (as Beaux has mentioned).

I like Bals because of their edginess. And yet, they're still understated. I like the combination of their relative anonymity and understated "punchiness" (is that a word?). But, as bag-gage has pointed out, there is some issue with the quality of Bals. When I first started buying them, I wasn't used to the thinness of the leather and how quickly they wear out. Now, I've just accepted that and learnt to appreciate how they age.

nice thread! I am a self-confessed Balenciaga Lover...ever since I got my first Balenciaga, it has been downhill head over heels genuine love :love:...and thanks to my sis <bornsocialite> who introduced me to TPF, I am now a self confessed TPF addict as well.

I would stray from my bbags for a while but I still come back to my precious ones more than any other brand, but recently, I have been infatuated with BV. Like you I go for understated elegance, and that's what BV is all about, at least IMO. I still love my Bbags to bits but now, I am venturing to something that I think will definitely be an investment, as I am growing older.

My bbags I plan to pass down to my DD someday, she'll be definitely be able to use them 'earlier' than my BV's.

Balenciaga looks young and fresh and from what I've learned here, specially from the lovely lovely Lovelygarments one can rock bbags no matter what age, same goes for BV, girls in their 20's also look well put together with BV without looking old-ish... it really depends on your style and needs.

I have to agree with beaux, if you have the chance try both and see what you like...or why not get one from both and do a 'test run'---that'll be fun! :graucho:

I like both Bal and BV. The reason I prefer Balenciaga over BV is this, Bals are like a "Box of Chocolate" you never know what you are going to get. No two bags are ever the same. The leather, consistency, distressing, shine, mat, thickness, smooshiness changes from bag to bag. It can be same bag, same year, same color and still get two different bags. BV on the other hand, and IMO, are more uniformly made.

Thank you everyone! I hope to get into NYC in a month or two. I have tried the large Veneta BV and liked it although, I thought it ran a tiny bit wide. I have never seen a Balenciaga IRL yet so I will be venturing out to see one first and keep you all apprised. Again, thanks for your input! It really helped!!! :smile:

I agree with MichK... BV is more demure and subtle... I'll normally carry my BV on a quiet/formal outing e.g. wedding ceremony etc. On the other hand IMO .. BB is more casual/loud depending on the HW and cols ! I will normally use it for my everyday cos it makes a statement with the tassels n I like that !! I can zip around anywhere with my BB in my shorts !!

I sold my Bottega's years ago when I got tired of the suede lining and the difficulty getting my stuff in and out of them. They don't have pockets on the outside and I wasn't happy with the shoulder straps or handles being comfortable. Until Bal bags, I was still looking for the perfect bag to come along. Bals have all the requirements I have for the best bags yet.