Sorority Life

heeeeey, me too! theta sigma chapter (southern utah university), and i was on panhell as well! small world :yes:

I graduated from MIT nearly twenty years ago, and when I pledged Alpha Phi, it was the only sorority on campus. At the beginning of my senior year Alpha Chi Omega started a chapter and I ended up being the first Panhellenic president, overseeing our first competitive rush.

I think there are at least five sorority chapters on campus now, and I have no idea which are considered best. MIT depends upon the fraternity system in order to house its undergraduates, and thus nearly half the campus is Greek.

Although PanHel and IFC members have some of their own activities, they're not viewed as particularly exclusive and most events are open to all. Some houses are perenially struggling and others live high on the hog. There are several co-ed frats too. MIT offers pretty much any type of living situation a student is looking for.

Wow. There are a lot of sorority girls on here!
I go to SDSU and the Greek system is a major thing here..never pledged though. I guess I wasn't really interested, maybe if I lived on campus I would have been but I don't so yeah. Lol.

the sororities seem like such a fun thing, a great family spirit. we dont have anything like that in the UK. the universities are really big but nobody really interacts with people that arent on there course. we are big on societies though, kinda like clubs for sport, hobbies etc. i think it would make settling in so much easier if we had something like sororities. i went from a convent school with only 900 people to a university with about 8 or 9 thousand people. its huge.

Willamette University, (Salem, OR)
I pledged Delta Gamma. Oh yeah, we were the party girls AND had the highest GPA to boot ;)

One of my best friend in college was a Delta Gamma. I knew most of the "sisters" in her sorority and partied with them all the time. Since my college was tiny, at the time the sorority was known as Gamma Phi Omega, but joined as a chapter of DG my senior year. Now my friend is a DG at UW Madison, where she's doing grad school.

I came close to pledging the DG sorority. However, I had some girlfriends from a "rival" sorority - Alpha Pi - who took me out drinking one night close to my 21st birthday. One of the DG girls must have seen me at the bar and reported it to the sorority president (one of the few girls from the sorority who I didn't like). A few days later, she approached me a lectured me that "If you want to pledge DG, you can't associate with those b*tches from Alpha Pi." Shortly afterwards, I dropped out of pledging activities.

Anyhow, I'm not ragging your sorority - quite the contrary, I thought that 99% of the girls in it were awesome. It's just sad, sometimes, how one person can ruin everything for you. :s

Oh gosh, it's been nearly 15 years, but I was a Kappa Delta at Cornell. From my understanding, the Greek system in the Northeast is a little different from that in other parts of the country - not a social "must do" but just another option for student involvement.

At the time, there were about 15 sororities and over 50 fraternities (some were really, REALLY small). The Greek system accounted for about 30% of the entire undergraduate student body. There wasn't a ton of social pressure to rush or join a house.

Each of the sororities pledged about 30-40 women each year and had about ~100ish total members at the time. Each year, usually about 30-40 lived in the house - it was a dorm-like setting.

At the time, there didn't seem to be "top" sororities; there was the "athlete" house or house that partied more than others but most weren't too different from on another; fraternities were a little different story, given there were so many. There were ones with sports affiliations (e.g. the lacrosse house) or ones with many members sharing the same religious affiliation. But then again, this was years ago and things change.

I loved my sorority experience since I made great friends who are still my closest friends today, despite that we are scattered around the world now. I also held leadership positions in the house and thought this was tremendously valuable experience to apply to my life post-college.

Woo, Big Red! Same thing when I was there about 7 years ago. I was never in a sorority, had too many other things going on!

I'm not active anymore in the Greek system, but when I was in undergrad, I pledged Alpha Omicron Pi in 1995... we didn't have much of a Greek system in Canada - 2 sororities and 5 fraternities at my school, but it was a great experience!

AOII is coming to the University of Waterloo

I'm not active anymore in the Greek system, but when I was in undergrad, I pledged Alpha Omicron Pi in 1995... we didn't have much of a Greek system in Canada - 2 sororities and 5 fraternities at my school, but it was a great experience!

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, (ΔΣΘ) Incorporated is a non-profit Greek letter organization of college educated women committed to constructive development of its members and to public service with a primary focus on the Black community. In 1912, a decision was made among the active membership of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority (AKA) at Howard University. Members saw flaws in the organization and branched off to form a new one. The group wanted to use their collective strength to promote academic excellence and public service, and in 1913, the women voted on a new name, symbols, colors, motto and principals of the organization. Thus, Delta Sigma Theta was formed. Alpha Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta was founded on January 13, 1913 and the first public service act the founders participated in was the Women's Suffrage March on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington D.C., March 1913. Alpha Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority was incorporated February 1913. Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Grand Chapter was incorporated seventeen years later in 1930 .

I'm a Gamma Phi Beta at Oklahoma City University, a private methodist liberal arts university. We only have a NPC system that consists of three sororities: Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Phi and Gamma Phi. We also have only three IFC fraternities, Kappa Sigma, KA Order and Lambda Chi Alpha.

When I first arrived at OCU, I was a little disappointed that there wasn't any NPHC sororities (historically black sororities) on campus. There was some joint chapter action here and there, but nothing too visible. The NPC sororities on campus have a great image on campus and are typically more diverse than most universities. I absolutely love it, and I'm working to make our Panhellenic even more diverse!

I love Gamma Phi Beta. It's a great organization. I'm even Administrative VP this year :yes:

I saw in this forum that there was some talk about UGA and how they've dropped black rushees in their recruitment... I believe that the Gamma Phi Beta chapter there was actually the first sorority in Georgia's panhellenic history to accept and initiate an African American woman :smile:

Hopefully in the future, we won't have such a divide in greek life, because we're all greek sisters :heart:

BTW - We don't live in our sororities houses at OCU.. it's only a meeting house with a huge living and dining area, a kitchen, an exec room and bathrooms (no upstairs or bedrooms!)

But the boys live in their houses! :P