Sorority Life

Well, it was about 20 years ago for me, but back in the day:

Willamette University, (Salem, OR)
I pledged Delta Gamma. Oh yeah, we were the party girls AND had the highest GPA to boot ;)
quote]

OMG one of my best friends in the world is a DG at Willamette! Actually she is just finishing up her term as president and is applying for a DG CDC position!
As for me I'm a KD Alum from Northwestern.

I went to Spelman College in Atlanta, GA. It is a predominantly black all-female school, across the street from Morehouse College which is a predominantly black all-male school. I pledge Alpha Kappa Alpha which is touted as being the oldest sorority for black females in the nation, founded in 1908. I pledged in Spring 2001 so I JUST recently celebrated my fifth year anniversary. My sorority is quite different from all the other sororities listed by members in this thread. We are part of the National Pan Hellenic Council which covers the nine black fraternities and sororities.

My sorority was the most popular one on campus. But we also had Delta Sigma Theta, Zeta Phi Beta, and Sigma Gamma Rho. We are service-based, with alumnae(grad) chapters all over the world. You can either pledge in undergrad, or you can pledge grad chapter.
I included the link below for further info if anyone is interested in knowing more. :yes:

National Pan-Hellenic Council - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I went to Spelman College in Atlanta, GA. It is a predominantly black all-female school, across the street from Morehouse College which is a predominantly black all-male school. I pledge Alpha Kappa Alpha which is touted as being the oldest sorority for black females in the nation, founded in 1908. I pledged in Spring 2001 so I JUST recently celebrated my fifth year anniversary. My sorority is quite different from all the other sororities listed by members in this thread. We are part of the National Pan Hellenic Council which covers the nine black fraternities and sororities.

My sorority was the most popular one on campus. But we also had Delta Sigma Theta, Zeta Phi Beta, and Sigma Gamma Rho. We are service-based, with alumnae(grad) chapters all over the world. You can either pledge in undergrad, or you can pledge grad chapter.
I included the link below for further info if anyone is interested in knowing more. :yes:

National Pan-Hellenic Council - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i'm glad that someone from a predominantly-black sorority posted, because that's one of the major things that bothered me about the type of sorority i was in - it wasn't inclusive at all. my sorority was less rigid, so we had a few non-white members, but most sororities didn't. Alpha Gamma Delta at UGA actually got in a lot of trouble a few years ago because they eliminated a girl at rush because she was black. the whole thing just seems so racist and atiquated, particularly on a southern campus that is actively trying to recruit more black and hispanic students.

i'm glad that someone from a predominantly-black sorority posted, because that's one of the major things that bothered me about the type of sorority i was in - it wasn't inclusive at all. my sorority was less rigid, so we had a few non-white members, but most sororities didn't. Alpha Gamma Delta at UGA actually got in a lot of trouble a few years ago because they eliminated a girl at rush because she was black. the whole thing just seems so racist and atiquated, particularly on a southern campus that is actively trying to recruit more black and hispanic students.

Wow. That's really interesting. So sad that such antiquated ideas still exist in today's society. While they are predominantly black, The Divine Nine, as the black fraternities and sororities are called, actually have been accepting nonblack members for some time now. Of course there are some chapters that aren't happy about it, but overall nonblack members are most welcome. There was an article about it in Ebony magazine a few years ago. One of my sorority's honorary members was Eleanor Roosevelt.

My sorority pretty much represented our campus, about a third of the girls were Asian-American, maybe fifteen percent Jewish, along with a few Latin, Native American, and African-American girls too.

My "little sister" in the sorority, who had gone to my high school, is black, and suffered a lot of social pressure from other black girls to drop out of our sorority and join an African-American sorority. We had no problem with her belonging to both, but they would not allow it. Sadly, she dropped out a few months after initiation and joined DST. I wish things had worked out differently, but we're all still friendly. Maybe things have changed now and girls can belong to both, but twenty years ago, some people had different ideas.

Well, it was about 20 years ago for me, but back in the day:

Willamette University, (Salem, OR)
I pledged Delta Gamma. Oh yeah, we were the party girls AND had the highest GPA to boot ;)
quote]

OMG one of my best friends in the world is a DG at Willamette! Actually she is just finishing up her term as president and is applying for a DG CDC position!
As for me I'm a KD Alum from Northwestern.

Cool, wow, a lot more WU alums out here, or at least in a six degrees way, than I thought!! :heart: :heart:

I agree that what happened at UGA was sad but I would rather them eliminate her than accept her (and not really mean it) and haze the heck of her. It's also sad that the connection basically stops after graduation. Four thousand dollars/year is a lot of money to belong to an organization that does not provide post graduate opportunities for sisterhood, networking, and fellowship. The four soroities that are part of the divine nine that Nathangirl mentions have hundreds of chapters across the US and outside the US with hundreds of members each.

Seems like tPF is our own little sorority, wouldn't you say?

I agree that what happened at UGA was sad but I would rather them eliminate her than accept her (and not really mean it) and haze the heck of her. It's also sad that the connection basically stops after graduation. Four thousand dollars/year is a lot of money to belong to an organization that does not provide post graduate opportunities for sisterhood, networking, and fellowship. The four soroities that are part of the divine nine that Nathangirl mentions have hundreds of chapters across the US and outside the US with hundreds of members each.

Seems like tPF is our own little sorority, wouldn't you say?

the panhellenic sororities all have alumni associations and chapters and continue their work after the members have graduated, and they all do community service. for most women, the connection doesn't end at graduation. my mom is still friends with some of her sorority sisters.

and one thing that i know for certain that sororities do not do here is haze, so they wouldn't have hazed her. it's sad that the ONLY reason the rejected her was because of her race. that's ridiculous that that should happen in 2007. but ultimately, it's hurt the chapter quite a bit. they're not exactly the best sorority on campus, KWIM?

gosh i really wish they had a-chi-o at my school. their process seems soo fun and happy! my friend invited me to go to her chapter and do a CANDLEPASS :yahoo: i dont know if that's allowed or if its supposed to be secretive ... if so SORRY

Hey sister! Another Alpha Phi here. I initiated at the University of British Columbia

I graduated from MIT nearly twenty years ago, and when I pledged Alpha Phi, it was the only sorority on campus. At the beginning of my senior year Alpha Chi Omega started a chapter and I ended up being the first Panhellenic president, overseeing our first competitive rush.

I think there are at least five sorority chapters on campus now, and I have no idea which are considered best. MIT depends upon the fraternity system in order to house its undergraduates, and thus nearly half the campus is Greek.

Although PanHel and IFC members have some of their own activities, they're not viewed as particularly exclusive and most events are open to all. Some houses are perenially struggling and others live high on the hog. There are several co-ed frats too. MIT offers pretty much any type of living situation a student is looking for.

My sister was A-Chi-O, but she decided it was not a good fit and went through this process to not be a sister anymore...they even made her sign a confidentiality agreement when she left the sorority....though, I know must of what the "ceremonies" are...haha

I myself was very anti-sorority, but I ended up joining a local sorority b/c at that point in time, their values and ideas were more what I was looking for...I eventually got kicked out for not being active...which is a bunch of BS in my opinion ( I didn't get along with one of the founding sisters)...but I don't regret it, I made 3 really good friends and met some great people...so all in all i think everyone should try it, b/c you never know...