Sookie Stackhouse: True Blood vs the books!

frannita

O.G.
Jul 30, 2006
Discussion of the show vs the books, warning: spoilers and speculations welcome!

Observations:

I hate how they made Stan a cowboy. Looks like they combined Stan and Farrell. I really was looking forward to seeing a nerdy guy haha! And the actor playing Stan looks like he could play Alcide too!

Do you think they will go through with Godric's background, the kid angle I mean?

I wonder if we will ever see JB Du Rhone! He does end up with Tara, maybe he'll make an appearance soon.

Yay! Thank you for starting this thread!!! For some reason I thought Stan was the cowboy...or was he the one with the glasses? I cannot believe I already forgot!

I've been wondering if they'll introduce JB to the show myself. I think they'll probably touch on her with the vampire next season, just because once JB comes along it Tara won't add a lot to the story line (at least if they follow the books) , and she definitely adds a nice 'Pop' to the show.

I love that they wrote Jessica into the show. She and Hoyt are just too cute.

Stan was the one with the nerdy glasses, that was his "facade" :P It is hard to keep track of all the other characters so I don't blame you!

Hmmm I think they will keep the story with the vampire and Tara. As I remember she was first with the older vamp (can't remember his name) then she was passed on to Mickey. That was a nice fight scene with Sookie and Eric both (and Eric being made to sweep the floor after, lol) so I hope they keep it in! I like Tara better this season, last season she was getting on my nerves a little!

I love Jessica and Hoyt too! Adds something extra to the show that I look forward to seeing. And at first I was "aaargh, here comes the first big change to the book!" haha! Now I love her.

Yay for this thread!

I wanted to see Stan as a big nerdy guy too. I missed that, b/c he was his character was totally different than how he was portrayed on the show.

I wonder if they'll keep Barry involved as the books did too. I am curious as to how they'll do the stuff w/ the Queen of LA as well. I forget when she came in the books, so I'm not sure if they'll be anything about her this season or not. Likely next season, maybe?

With the jumping around w/ the books a bit, I wonder if they will make the weres and other shifters as prevalent in the show. I found some of that over the top and dull in the books at times.

I hope they leave the story line of Tara and the vampire in, b/c I love Tara on the show, although she's dull as dirt in the books...

Oh- and I hope that Pam gets more time on the show- she is Eric's right hand person and I'd like to see more of her.

I feel like I need to reread parts of the books b/c I know there are a ton of things that are different or would be interesting to chat about here!

:biggrin: :woohoo:

Yes, metrosexual Stan is a bit of a disappointment to me, but I guess since they are big city vamps they had to make a statement haha! Since they made Godric the sheriff, does that mean Stan won't become King of Texas?

I am wondering the same thing about Barry, since he was a big part in All Together Dead (I think. The one with the vampire convention!). The queen first showed up in a short story, I think that was after book 5 or 6? From the teaser they had it showed Evan Rachel Wood in the end, so I'm assuming she should make an appearance soon? Plus there was a casting call for Hadley too, so maybe both she and the queen are going to be showing up, at the very least for the season ender to tease next season.

I liked reading about the weres/shifters, although I didn't like the more were/shifter centric books (book 5 I think?). But they have to have Alcide next season!

I plan to watch the episodes again and read the book too, I feel I have some parts that I missed!

Thanks for starting this, it seems like no one goes to the general discussion forum which was just for the books anyway. I'm very happy to see a joint thread for the two topics.

Yay for this thread!

I wanted to see Stan as a big nerdy guy too. I missed that, b/c he was his character was totally different than how he was portrayed on the show.

I wonder if they'll keep Barry involved as the books did too. I am curious as to how they'll do the stuff w/ the Queen of LA as well. I forget when she came in the books, so I'm not sure if they'll be anything about her this season or not. Likely next season, maybe?

With the jumping around w/ the books a bit, I wonder if they will make the weres and other shifters as prevalent in the show. I found some of that over the top and dull in the books at times.

I hope they leave the story line of Tara and the vampire in, b/c I love Tara on the show, although she's dull as dirt in the books...

Oh- and I hope that Pam gets more time on the show- she is Eric's right hand person and I'd like to see more of her.

I feel like I need to reread parts of the books b/c I know there are a ton of things that are different or would be interesting to chat about here!

Tara really is boring in the books, I remember when I finally stumbled across her in the books I was really dissapointed. Her character on the show is much more entertaining.

I still don't get why they are making such a big deal out of Maryann. Does anyone remember in the books if they mention that she is able to control other supernatural creatures or was it just humans?

Wooo! Glad we have this thread. :smile: I agree wholeheartedly about Stan...why would they not make him nerdy, I was looking forward to seeing that!
I think it's going to be a lot of fun and more interesting once they start throwing more love interests for sookie into the show. Soon we'll have Eric, Bill and Alcide wanting her.:graucho:
I do not think that this Godric will be the same at all. Now after he's already been introduced as Eric's maker I do hope they keep it different, plus he's really hot so I hope they keep the kid stuff out.

Tara really is boring in the books, I remember when I finally stumbled across her in the books I was really dissapointed. Her character on the show is much more entertaining.

I still don't get why they are making such a big deal out of Maryann. Does anyone remember in the books if they mention that she is able to control other supernatural creatures or was it just humans?

The only thing I remember is everyone including the vampires were afraid of her! She only controlled the humans, but weren't the vamps avoiding eye-contact with her?

Yes! I can't wait for all the love interests to show up! :nuts:

Maryann in the books is supposed to be super scary, the vampires didn't even want to cross her and gave her that bull offering! I think she can seriously mess up the bar business or something so that's why they did it.

Godric is a cutie! I checked his imdb and he's only 20!!! He's from Denmark. Gotta love these Nordic men! :graucho:

The only thing I remember is everyone including the vampires were afraid of her! She only controlled the humans, but weren't the vamps avoiding eye-contact with her?

I think so, right? I think I'm going to have to re-read the book with her in it.

Did anyone take a peek at the True Blood sneak preview in the other thread?! I have been avoiding it because I didn't want to spoil it for myself, but Man, IT LOOKS SO GOOD!!!!! I love that they incorporated Jason into the FOTS bit.

Have all of you read all the books? I am on All Together Dead, and for some reason I can't get through it. It seems to be dragging more than the other books did. I have the last two waiting to be read once I finish All Together Dead!

I watched the preview, there was a big uproar about seeing a blonde someone on the bed with Sookie!!!! It looks really promising though, I can't wait to see how everything ends even though that means no show for another year!

I thought it was great that Jason was incorporated more in the show cause in the books he just shows up sporadically. I just think there's too much of the church camp! Ryan Kwanten is such a good actor! He blows me away.

Have all of you read all the books? I am on All Together Dead, and for some reason I can't get through it. It seems to be dragging more than the other books did. I have the last two waiting to be read once I finish All Together Dead!

I thought it was fun, but a little slower-paced. I found the next book after ATD even more dragging :sweatdrop: I think you will love Dead and Gone, now that was a fast book. I finished it in a day!