Something's Living in My Cat's Tail

I wonder if it is a tick bite that got infected and has pus in it? Or maybe something bit him? Poor thing, it looks painful. You should try to clean it out with peroxide or alcohol and take him to the vet if it doesn't improve.

It's either puss or maggots. Get the cat to the vet asap so you can find out for sure.

Your cat must be an outdoor cat if it is prone to ticks. Outdoor cats fight all of the time, and abscesses (a pocket of infection) can happen easily. (I do believe the process goes as follows:smile: The infection can kill living tissue and cause it to rot. Fly eggs could be laid easily in such a large hole, and maggots appear a few days later to eat the dead, rotten tissue.

Even if it is just puss, cut off the opportunity of maggot infestation (aka. eating your cat from the inside out) by taking your cat to the vet ASAP!

Thanks for all the advice. My kitty is definately going to the vet. I tried pushing it to the surface and it didnt really move. So, I think it might be puss, but there's still a probability that it could be larva. This is really scary. I definately dont want anything eating away at his tail.

I agree, vet. However, I don't advocate using alcohol to clean it out, peroxide works better and won't sting. It WILL bubble a bit, foam like, but that's normal.

And yes, if he's an outdoor cat, or if he's got a pal he plays with alot indoors, this will happen. Looks like it was a bite or wound that's gotten infected.