Somerset tote v east west bays

neverdecide

May 17, 2009
Calling all somerset tote and east west bays owners. I need help please.
I have had a chocolate somerset tote and an east west bays in my head for ages as have saved up enough to get one now but i cannot decide between the both. Like the style of somerset but concerned bout just being a popper top. Like the east west bays in oak as its a classic that will last for ages but concerned bout it not sitting on shoulder like somerset does as if not it will annoy me.

Does anyone on here have both or either bags and any advice they could offer?

What would you do???? Which bag would you buy? :smile:

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the somerset range and would definately go for the east west bays.

I did buy a plum somerset last year and returned it as the straps wouldn't stay on my shoulder.

One of my first bags was a buffalo indigo east west bays and I loved it. I never had a problem with the shoulder straps.

So, my vote goes for the oak east west bays.

I'm the other way round. I love my somerset tote and it stays on my shoulder just fine. I'm not keen on the proportions of the E/W bays personally and prefer a magnetic closure for quick convenient access!
Can you try them both on and decide which one works for you?

Hi, I have - and love - both, and find them really useful as everyday bags. To me, the Somerset is a bit more practical, a little roomier and with that perfect external pocket so I don't have to rummage around for my keys anymore. The E/W is more versatile IMO, though, a classic that looks a bit smarter than the Somerset and works for almost any occasion and with any outfit. The Somerset is a real workhorse, but if you have to choose between the two, perhaps the E/W is a more allround and timeless bag. Tough one!

I vote for the e/w bays, it is a classic and will last forever. Not personally a fan of the casual look of the Somerset totes, even though I have a Somerset shoulder that I love.

I'm the other way round. I love my somerset tote and it stays on my shoulder just fine. I'm not keen on the proportions of the E/W bays personally and prefer a magnetic closure for quick convenient access!
Can you try them both on and decide which one works for you?

I don't own either bag but I must say I agree with flyvetjo - I love the idea of the E/W Bays as the normal Bays seems to be too big for me, but when I see it IRL the proportions just don't look right to me and it reminds me of the kind of handbag my grandmother used to have 30 years ago!:nuts: Which is a shame, as it ticks so many boxes - useful size without being enormous, can easily be worn on the shoulder and comes in lots of different leathers and colours. I think the RN wrinkled patent E/W with silver hardware looks gorgeous!:love: But the moment I lift it from the shelf the love disappears unfortunately......:tdown:

Maja2005 - lucky you having both. Is there much difference in the weight of the 2 bags. I can't carry a heavy bag so that may help with decision.

Fuzzyfelt -i would love to do that but having trouble getting head round paying so much for one so not possible at mo. My intention is that this will be an investment bag that i will use to stop me buying others!:roflmfao: Yeah yeah i know that this will not be the case but this is what i keep telling myself.

Mulberryfloss - that is what my concerns where. I know its a classic that won't date but somehow my head is telling me the somerset tote looks bit more modern.
I did see one in HOF sale that would have been bout £240ish with the extra discount they gave. I really should have just bought it on impulse and then decided.

thanks to all for giving opinions. One minute i decide E/W as classic but then still have other in head wondering! :shrugs:

E/W seems to be winning at the mo in general concensus!

Last edited:
I have a somerset tote and used to have a e-w bays. I have to say that I think the e-w stayed better on my shoulder than the somerset does. But somerset is much more roomier and it's lined! Both are very lightweight bags also. This is a though one, but I guess it depends on how much stuff you carry around with you? if you don't carry much then I recommend you go for e-w, if you carry a water bottle/calendar/wallet/magazine etc with you I recommend the somerset :smile:

Hi ruusu, i just carry wallet, keys tisses and water bottle. Good to know they both light weight. Just seen you have got a red somerset tote. OOOH lovely, i have never seen those and didn't realise they came in that colour..

No huge difference in weight, the Somerset is larger and so a bit heavier. I always sling my bags over my shoulder and my guess is that the Somerset was designed with that aspect in mind. In that way I find it a bit more comfortable than the E/W, and would probably work better with a winter coat, so to complicate things I have to disagree a little with ruusu there ... Having said that, there is definitely enough handle drop to wear the E/W quite comfortably over the shoulder as well. Actually, that is how I think it should be worn to look its best.

I am totally in love with the E/W style, particularly in oak. A Queen Mother type of bag? Well yes and no, I can see the point, but actually I think it is a really sexy bag (again, particularly when carried as a shoulder bag)! I suppose the overall impression depends on your outfit, too, it works wonderfully with jeans and ballet flats for instance - not a grandmother in sight!

I think you need to get yourself to a Mulberry store, take your time trying the bags out and then decide which one works best for you. Quite a pleasant decision to look forward, I would say, you can't really go wrong with either bag. Good luck and let us know the outcome!

PS. I got mine from reputable eBay sellers/other tPF:ers. They are used but in great condition - perhaps something to consider if you want two for the price of one? :graucho: