Someone randomly measured my Kelly! So odd!

LVGLITTER

Apr 21, 2009
Recently I was at a luxury consignment store who has Hermes. I walked in carrying my Kelly. Though they were very nice, I felt overwhelmed by the attention. They even groped my Kelly and took her out of my hands. You could see I was very uncomfortable but they did it anyway.

One lady, who is from Paris, insisted my girl was a 25. I said no it's a 28. She then proceeded to go get a measuring tape and come out to prove to me that she was 25.

However she measured it in the middle of the bag. Where is the correct place to measure the width of a Kelly bag? I always thought it was across the bottom of the bag.

I got home and checked my papers, it said 28. I can't believe the incident made me doubt myself or my knowledge of my own bag. But I was so flustered by the behavior I just stood there. Part of my wanted them to back away but I didn't want to be rude....yet now I see I wasn't the rude ones. So is it me? Wouldn't you find this kind of behavior a little strange? It was almost as if she wanted to prove me wrong. It just made me feel really uncomfortable. Am I being too uptight?

Last edited:
One was even the owner. Thank you for validating my feelings [emoji173]
We are here to support each other :smile:
I have had so many bad experiences at shops. I once went to Tiffany and co. to browse around. On that day, I wore my Chanel Jumbo, and one of the SAs followed me around to see if my Chanel was real or fake. While I was checking out their jewelry, she came out of the counter to give me and my jumbo one of her "cheap" looks. There were many other shopping days, when I wore no makeup, and where SAs would not even say hi... Very very rude, especially if you end up buying a lot! They act not as professionals, but rather as jealous women, IMO. And I am happy I could help you :smile:

Name the store so we can avoid it? I've had this happen so often "that's a 32" when it's a 28 and they INSIST - or "that's Raisin" when it's Prune *sigh*
Sorry they were so rude but at least you were right :biggrin:

It's called "Too Be Continued." I would normally not mention the name but want to tell you to be aware if any of you (by chance) come to the store in AZ. Their items are wonderful and one of the best preowned stores I've seen. I'll try to chalk it up to a misstep on their part, but if I ever go back I will draw a harder line and not allow them to take my bag out of my hands.

Had a worse experience then that actually; I was at a different store when someone's husband grabbed my Bag while I was at the counter and started rummaging through it. It was right next to me and clearly not for sale. I was shocked! I said "excuse me!!!...please give my purse back, who taught you your manners?" I know it's just a bag but it's personal and violating!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's called "Too Be Continued." I would normally not mention the name but want to tell you to be aware if any of you (by chance) come to the store in AZ. Their items are wonderful and one of the best preowned stores I've seen. I'll try to chalk it up to a misstep on their part, but if I ever go back I will draw a harder line and not allow them to take my bag out of my hands.

Had a worse experience then that actually; I was at a different store when someone's husband grabbed my Bag while I was at the counter and started rummaging through it. It was right next to me and clearly not for sale. I was shocked! I said "excuse me!!!...please give my purse back, who taught you your manners?" I know it's just a bag but it's personal and violating!

Thanks so much. I actually know this store :smile: They do have wonderful things. Maybe their enthusiasm overtook them? Still sorry you had to deal with that.

The grabbing of a bag is even worse. That happened to me at H Madison. I am actually totally ok with someone wanting to look at my bag, even touch it if it is not super delicate (cough Barenia cough) - IF THEY ASK.

We are here to support each other :smile:
I have had so many bad experiences at shops. I once went to Tiffany and co. to browse around. On that day, I wore my Chanel Jumbo, and one of the SAs followed me around to see if my Chanel was real or fake. While I was checking out their jewelry, she came out of the counter to give me and my jumbo one of her "cheap" looks. There were many other shopping days, when I wore no makeup, and where SAs would not even say hi... Very very rude, especially if you end up buying a lot! They act not as professionals, but rather as jealous women, IMO. And I am happy I could help you :smile:

Bad customer service is unacceptable no matter what we are wearing! I'm sorry they treated you that way. Sadly it happens much too often. I tend to speak up or call out bad behavior quietly to their face but the Kelly incident just had me tongue twisted.

Thanks so much. I actually know this store :smile: They do have wonderful things. Maybe their enthusiasm overtook them? Still sorry you had to deal with that.

The grabbing of a bag is even worse. That happened to me at H Madison. I am actually totally ok with someone wanting to look at my bag, even touch it if it is not super delicate (cough Barenia cough) - IF THEY ASK.

Maybe you are right, agree too that they should of asked to take it from me. [emoji4] What bothered me too is how one of them wanted to prove me wrong....it sure came off that way at least.

The owner is very nice though regardless of this incident. It may be they just made a misstep in this situation. I know my vibe was put off and I felt bad about that but sometimes I just want to shop in peace. The more I thought about it later, I felt like it wasn't me who should feel bad [emoji4]

Last edited:
Reactions: Txoceangirl

That's unbelievable. I know you said the store has great items, but I'd be tempted to go back, talk to the manager about what happened and explain to her that that means you are no longer comfortable shopping there. People need to know when they've behaved badly.

Also, just curious -- how did the husband in the other store react when you told him off?

I've always measured my Kelly's along the bottom panel.

Reactions: LVGLITTER
Recently I was at a luxury consignment store who has Hermes. I walked in carrying my Kelly. Though they were very nice, I felt overwhelmed by the attention. They even groped my Kelly and took her out of my hands. You could see I was very uncomfortable but they did it anyway.

One lady, who is from Paris, insisted my girl was a 25. I said no it's a 28. She then proceeded to go get a measuring tape and come out to prove to me that she was 25.

However she measured it in the middle of the bag. Where is the correct place to measure the width of a Kelly bag? I always thought it was across the bottom of the bag.

I got home and checked my papers, it said 28. I can't believe the incident made me doubt myself or my knowledge of my own bag. But I was so flustered by the behavior I just stood there. Part of my wanted them to back away but I didn't want to be rude....yet now I see I wasn't the rude ones. So is it me? Wouldn't you find this kind of behavior a little strange? It was almost as if she wanted to prove me wrong. It just made me feel really uncomfortable. Am I being too uptight?
They were being amazingly rude and showing their ignorance.

Reactions: LVGLITTER
That's unbelievable. I know you said the store has great items, but I'd be tempted to go back, talk to the manager about what happened and explain to her that that means you are no longer comfortable shopping there. People need to know when they've behaved badly.

Also, just curious -- how did the husband in the other store react when you told him off?

I've always measured my Kelly's along the bottom panel.

Agree. I think if I go back and similar behavior ensues, then I'll express my discomfort and make sure they understand it's a bit disconcerting to feel so examined.

The husband acted like I was out of line. I asked him if I could go through his car or wallet. He mumbled and walked away. He was an arrogant man who seems to enjoy being rude...until I called him to the mat.

Thank you for the measuring info! [emoji6][emoji8]

Agree. I think if I go back and similar behavior ensues, then I'll express my discomfort and make sure they understand it's a bit disconcerting to feel so examined.

The husband acted like I was out of line. I asked him if I could go through his car or wallet. He mumbled and walked away. He was an arrogant man who seems to enjoy being rude...until I called him to the mat.

Thank you for the measuring info! [emoji6][emoji8]

Glad you called that arrogant husband out. That's the thing about bullies -- they can dish it out, but they can't take it!