Some questions, and advice needed!

Oct 17, 2007
Hi everyone!! :smile:

I am new to BV...I can usually be found over in the LV forum, but BV has really been growing on me lately and I am considering purchasing my first one!

Luckily I have found myself with some extra $$, thanks to selling some unused handbags out of my collection, and I'm trying to decide how to use it. I already made a purchase of an LV wallet to replace a well-loved one I had that was stolen, and now I'm wavering on how to spend the rest. I'm still considering a couple of LV's that I like, but my last major LV purchase was several years ago and I'm not thrilled with the recent quality issues I keep reading about on the LV forum.

So I went to BV and tried out the Sloane and the Large Veneta. Love the look of the Sloane, but not super comfortable on my shoulder--strap drop felt too short, and the bag itself felt awfully bulky under my arm. Like the overall look of the Veneta slightly less, but it felt super comfortable on my arm. So I'm considering these two, but have also been getting lured by the recent discussion of the Pyramid reissue, which looks awesome. Also, I'm only considering nero or ebano as far as colors go--since this will be my only BV for now, I'd like it to be versatile and not a light color.

Anyway...that's my background...here are a few questions for you seasoned BVettes!

1. How durable is BV, generally? Can it reasonably be used as an everyday bag without a lot of worry?
2. Is the leather really delicate? I don't beat them up, but I really like to *use* my bags without having to worry too much....so I'm interested in things like susceptibility to scuffing, scratching, etc. (I'm not talking about purposefully scraping it down a brick wall, or anything :roflmfao:...but normal day to day wear and tear kind of stuff). And how about getting caught in the rain and/or something spilling on it? It's a total PITA to worry about rain/spills, which I always do when I carry my LV's with vachetta.
3. BV overall quality--have you all had many repair-type issues? And are any of the three bags I like known for having specific problems/issues?
4. Pricing--I read on another thread that there might be a price increase coming--any insights on this? Should I pull the trigger ASAP?

I know that some of this info has been discussed in other threads here and there--and I have done a fair amount of searching/reading...but would love more opinions/info on these things...

THANK YOU in advance!!

Welcome, PsyDoc! Good to see you here. I can't answer all of your questions, but I can skim the cream off the top, so to speak...

I have found BV to be very durable; I've rarely bought new, and the used bags I've bought have looked new and in my use of them have continued to appear new. They wear well, in other words.

Quality: On one of my used bags, I had a very weird thing happen with the magnet closure; BV repaired it without question. WITHOUT QUESTION. That incident sealed my BV adoration for life.

Rain: I carry only Cervo bags (deerskin) and they love water, so I cannot answer for other leathers in the BV line.

Price increases: They happen with all fashion and design houses; do not let the fear of a price increase panick your decision. Buy when you are ready.

Welcome, I don't post here much, nor do I have as many bags as some of the regulars here but I hope I can help answer some questions for you.
1. BV is durable and IMO only gets better looking with age, much like myself (kidding!) I have more than my fair share of bags so I tend to rotate them out where possible but I think a Veneta or something similar is a great choice for an everyday bag.
2. I don't think the leather is delicate. Certainly not as delicate as my Balenciagas. I'm not one to baby my bags, but I do think they should be used for their intended purpose. I know a lot of people like to carry laptops, iPads etc. and such in their purses, but for me, that's what an additional tote or laptop bag is for. It's funny you mention rain and LV - I only carry my mono LVs in the rain. I think water marks on the vachetta give them the look of a well-loved bag. Like you used them and didn't keep them in a glass chamber with purified oxygen pumped in. I live in a very rainy and during the winter months, snowy climate and I have carried BV and not really noticed any issues. I wouldn't specifically choose to carry it during heavy rain, but getting from your car to the market or something wouldn't damage the leather (as far as I know). Our Seattle member/mod can chime in on that, I'm sure.
3. I'm not aware of BVs having anything unique as far as quality goes. I once caught the intrecciato weave on a hook of some sort as I was walking by and almost had a heart attack. I stopped, looked at the bag and the leather strip was pulled out a little bit, but I just smoothed it all out and pulled it back in line with my fingers.
4. Can't help you with price, but indiaink's advice is spot on.

One last thing, did you look at the Campana? I am Cuckoo for Campana right now. Campana fever. I must have one. Now! Not sure how you feel about something with no zipper. I think price-wise, it's in line with the Veneta and Sloane. The large is really big, but the medium (or regular size) is a good size. I'm wondering if it would sit better on your shoulder. Tourmaline is also a good neutral if you already have a zillion black or brown bags. I love the Sloane too, but I think it's the thickness of the strap that makes it uncomfortable on the shoulder (maybe it's just me and my narrower shoulders)
Lastly, are you looking for brand new or pre-loved?

PsyDoc, thanks for raising out those questions! Those are very similar to mine.

VON1B2, it's good to know that someone else is in love with a campana! I've been eyeing it for months and I finally pulled the trigger and bought it online! Now I'm (im)patiently waiting for it to arrive. This will be my first BV and I am excited to see how it will wear

I have a large Belly Veneta
I use it every day
I don't baby my bag but I don't put it on the floor either except at home
I find the bag extremely durable
I have gotten nail polish on it---I let it dry and chipped it off --no problem to the bag the leather is fine
I have spilled a water bottle in it --took everything out and let it dry naturally -- no problem with bag or lining or with any BV inside
the sloan has a short drop
but they are nappa leather and will stretch nicely
good luck and welcome to your new obsession

a lot of ppl say the campana slips off the shoulder also
if you cross the straps you it will stay on your shoulder better
I love the campana a great bag totally functional

PsyDoc, thanks for raising out those questions! Those are very similar to mine.

VON1B2, it's good to know that someone else is in love with a campana! I've been eyeing it for months and I finally pulled the trigger and bought it online! Now I'm (im)patiently waiting for it to arrive. This will be my first BV and I am excited to see how it will wear

I have several BV bags... they wear well and are durable & with time just get

better & better... you shouldn't have any problem making a decision to buy

a BV.. it's worth it &you will love it!!

Welcome, PsyDoc! Good to see you here. I can't answer all of your questions, but I can skim the cream off the top, so to speak...

Thank you, indiaink! Wearing well is something that's really important to me. If a bag doesn't wear well, it ends up in my closet and doesn't get used, because I won't want to wear it out. I'm trying really hard to move away from bags like that, since I'd be better served using the $$ for something that I can acually get use out of!

I don't think the leather is delicate. Certainly not as delicate as my Balenciagas. I'm not one to baby my bags, but I do think they should be used for their intended purpose. I know a lot of people like to carry laptops, iPads etc. and such in their purses, but for me, that's what an additional tote or laptop bag is for....I live in a very rainy and during the winter months, snowy climate and I have carried BV and not really noticed any issues.

One last thing, did you look at the Campana?

Lastly, are you looking for brand new or pre-loved?

Hi V0N1B2! Thank you! I don't load up my bags with heavy things (like my laptop or heavy books/journals)...I agree with you on using a separate tote for this. But I do carry a lot in my bags...typically I carry my wallet (LV Koala), sunglasses, keys, small makeup bag, pencil case, ID badge for work, and agenda-size Moleskine notebook. Does this seem like too much for the Sloane or Large Veneta?

I haven't really looked at the Campana, since I do want a zipper (or at least a flap, like the Sloane)...and I am on the fence about new vs. pre-loved. If I found the right one, at the right price pre-loved, I'd definitely consider it. But I don't think I'd pull the trigger on a pre-loved unless it was in super condition and it saved me at least a few hundred dollars.

I have spilled a water bottle in it --took everything out and let it dry naturally -- no problem with bag or lining or with any BV inside

This is great to hear--thanks septembersiren!!

I echo what others have said, particularly SeptemberSiren's comments. I too wondered if BV's nappa leather would be durable and am so surprised that it holds up really well! My love of BV stems from the love of lightweight bags and a minimum of hardware and the woven ones are strong due to the weave, yet lightweight.

My woven nappa wallet was completely soaked in flash rainstorm and dried without stains or curling of the edges. Shocking, I know, but I was so relieved.

My personal favorite bag is the large Veneta because of the comfort. The shoulder strap will contour to the individual wearing it and drape closer to the body with time. The bulkiness of the Sloane was an issue for me also. I had a New Pyramid which I loved but ended up selling it (for needed funds, not because I didn't like it anymore).

BV is still handmade by artisans in Italy, hence the high prices. I buy fewer these days but BV will always have a place on my shoulder and in my closet.

I have very discriminate taste and don't care for LV, Chanel or anything branded. Hence, I bought myself a few leather Gucci's with their well known braided straps and horsebit hardware and I bought a medium Nero (black) veneta. I will only buy bags that can withstand all the elements (sun, rain, snow, etc.). That said, the veneta is a marvelous, extremely comfortable and most importantly, lightweight bag. I have been wearing it much more often. In fact, I am wearing it today to a party. I love the suede lining and the lightweight comfort factor; not to mention the styles are ageless! - I highly recommend!! There is nothing greater than wearing a bag that says made in Italy and really is!

Durable: definitely. I use mine everyday.
Delicate: you would think so but no, very tough. My water bottle spilled all over my continental wallet(soaked) and i wiped it off and let it dry on the counter and it's as good as before.
Quality: no personal experience but have read about outstanding service.
Price: hog bags gets BV from time to time. You'd save 20 percent. BV's sale starts on 5/29 but I don't what specifically will be included

Hi everyone!! :smile:
1. How durable is BV, generally? Can it reasonably be used as an everyday bag without a lot of worry?
2. Is the leather really delicate? I don't beat them up, but I really like to *use* my bags without having to worry too much....so I'm interested in things like susceptibility to scuffing, scratching, etc. (I'm not talking about purposefully scraping it down a brick wall, or anything :roflmfao:...but normal day to day wear and tear kind of stuff). And how about getting caught in the rain and/or something spilling on it? It's a total PITA to worry about rain/spills, which I always do when I carry my LV's with vachetta.
3. BV overall quality--have you all had many repair-type issues? And are any of the three bags I like known for having specific problems/issues?
4. Pricing--I read on another thread that there might be a price increase coming--any insights on this? Should I pull the trigger ASAP?

THANK YOU in advance!!

Hi, and welcome.

First, about your Sloane versus large Veneta issue, from what you wrote it sounds like a looks versus comfort question. Which one is more important to you? Only you can decide this.

(For what it's worth, I started out with a nero Sloane, which was absolutely gorgeous. I also later bought a medium nero Veneta, which for me was more versatile because it could go as easily with jeans as it could with business attire, day to evening. The Sloane somehow didn't look as good with dressier outfits and was more at home with my casual or weekend attire. In addition, the medium Veneta was more comfortable for me to carry--lighter weight and less bulky. I always ended up favoring the nero medium Veneta over the nero Sloane, so I found a new home for the Sloane. This was all a few years ago, and I have no regrets about my choice. Plus I later bought a large Veneta in ebano, which looks casual on me because I'm petite. I really like the Veneta style for myself.)

-Your questions above:

1) and 2) (durability): I wouldn't call BV nappa leather exceptionally durable or exceptionally delicate. They're meant to be used, but I take ordinary care with mine because they aren't inexpensive. To compare with LV, I am more careful with them than I would be with an LV coated canvas or epi leather bag. BV leather will get wet (won't shed water like LV), and if it's not a dark color, it will show dirt, stains, and wear; nero and ebano will hold up pretty well to dirt and stains, though.

In short, I really enjoy my BVs, use them frequently, and I don't baby them. But I also knew at the beginning that they weren't going to stay new-looking forever. I happen to like the way that BVs age, but your tolerance might differ.

3) (quality/repairs): As for quality, I think BVs are exceedingly well-made. As for repair issues, I haven't had any.

4) (price increase): I have no idea about an increase. I'd advise to buy only when you're ready. I've sometimes regretted purchases that I made when trying to beat a price increase (not specifically talking about BV here), so I try to take my own time. I figure there will always be another price increase, so no matter when I buy, I'll be ahead of the next one.

Good luck deciding!

Hi PsyDoc ~ I wanted to chime in about the comfort-on-shoulder you mentioned as an important feature [a sticking point for me, too].

I've carried the large veneta, med veneta, old pyramid, & campana styles & find that the shoulder comfort goes in that order ... with the large veneta being the most comfortable & the campana being the least. The large veneta stays put & the weight of the bag is so well dispersed, it's like carrying a cloud. The items you listed as your usual suspects would fit very comfortably into the large veneta, too [although always good to try before you buy - or at least buy with the option of returning :smile:].

On the price increase, the SA who told me about it said it's going into effect now. I know some bags have already gone up (eg, old pyramid 1,800 --> 2,500). Throw some tax on that, & I understand why you're concerned. I don't notice much of an increase in the major department stores, though. So maybe some styles are going to be spared an increase? The large venetas seem to still be about $2,200.

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks so much to each of you for all of your input, and for helping me to make this decision! I am trying to be really thoughtful about new handbag purchases, and it sounds like BV will be a good fit for my lifestyle.

I'm especially pleased that folks have not had repair/quality issues...while I do (and probably always will) love LV, I wasn't looking forward to the possiblity of dealing with problems related to workmanship.

Now it just becomes a matter of making a final decision on style (right now I'm leaning heavily toward large Veneta), color, and new vs. pre-loved. I'm not going to rush this since it is a substantial purchase, but I will say that I can't wait to do my first BV reveal!! :biggrin:

PsyDocJoanne, Now that you got so much information, I would like to suggest one more thing. I highly recommend visiting a BV boutique if you can and trying on all the styles to see which fits your taste most comfortably. We can all make recommendations for you, but in the end it will be you wearing the bag. Have fun shopping!