Some Pictures Removed After Item Sold

kannewguy

Jun 1, 2008
I just purchased a Chanel purse last week and some of the pictures have now been removed from the listing. I wonder how and why sellers do this? I still have not received the purse and I'm on pins and needles right now and this picture removal doesn't help calm my nerves any less. For you guy sellers out there, what's the real reason behind this? and how do you edit a listing that's already over? Thanks.

Probably because she uses her own website to host the pictures and doesn't want to waste the bandwidth, so she removes them after the listing.

I doubt it's anything sinister, so don't worry. However, if she uses Auctiva or an auction template like that, it could just be their site is down. That happened about a month ago where Auctiva was down for about 3 days and nobody's pictures in their listings would show up.

Once a listing ends, you CANNOT edit it, so the only way the seller could remove the pictures themselves is from their own hosting/site.

Is it just the pics that are removed, and the auction is still showing? Or is everything gone?

The majority of the pictures are gone, basically all the essential ones. There are still 3 pictures left by the seller so why not remove everything if they were really trying to save bandwidth. I'm just a little puzzled. It's just that I want to compare the real purse to the listing with the hologram sticker number etc. once I received the item to make sure those pictures weren't stolen since there were not watermarked.

Or they are reusing them for another auction, which in and of itself would be weird.

Hmmm....that's a good question. Other than the explanation that I mentioned, perhaps they want to remove the pics ASAP before you receive the bag because it's possibly a fake and they don't want you to compare pics to the one you receive, because that bag in the pictures was authentic??? God, I only hope it's not that.

Hang in there. If you still don't hear anything from the seller within a week, then definitely file a claim/dispute through PP. Especially if they're not responding to your many e-mails.

Just out of curiosity, what is their FB like?

Seller's FB is 139, 100% and they've been a member since 2003. I had the purse authenticated by the lovely ladies in the Chanel forum prior to bidding on it but I just don't know until I actually received the item since the pictures were not watermarked. Thanks so much for listening to me vent though!!!

I understand completely. I'm sure everything will be alright. I'm sure there's a logical explanation to the pics being removed.

Don't fret until you receive the bag and something is wrong. You just never know! You'll drive yourself crazy in the meantime, and it just isn't worth getting an ulcer over.

Before you purchase always print the screen or print the listing to a pdf. Then you will always have a record.

I have not done this yet, but I think it is a good idea to pull the pics (I host mine on Photobucket) so that others don't steal them and reuse for another eBay listing.

*** so that is what the seller must have done, renamed or removed the pics from an external host.

I host my auction pictures on Photobucket. I usually wait about 2 or 3 weeks after the auction ends to move the pictures from my "current auctions" folder to another folder for "completed auctions." I do it to save bandwith, like one of the posters said above. Also, I do it so people searching completed auctions for pictures won't steal mine to use in their own auctions. HOWEVER, I don't ever remove the pictures until the buyer has received the item and left feedback. It sounds like your seller just jumped the gun!

With chanel I can totally see why the seller would remove all the essential pics as soon as the auction ended, if the scammers out there see that its an authentic listing they wont hesitate one bit to steal pics so by removing them quickly I guess it kinda helps curtail the pic theives. I'm sure the seller could email you the auction pics or something.