Travel Solo travel

Staci_W

Apr 19, 2013
I'm going to be going to Peru in December, alone. It's my first time traveling alone. As the date nears, I'm getting more and more nervous. For the majority of my trip I will be with a tour group. The group will spend a day in The Scared Valley and then spend 4 days hiking to Machu Picchu. I do have a few days on my own though.

Advice for a solo woman traveler?

Please don't tell me any scary stories. I don't think I could handle them.

I used to have extended international business trips where I'd be solo over the weekends in large foreign cities. I loved having my own free time to explore and do whatever I wanted on my own schedule.

I think a lot of common sense advice applies - things like be alert and aware of your surroundings, program emergency phone numbers into your phone, guard valuables (or don't take them with you), buy and use a pickpocket proof bag/wallet, use maps discreetly when out and about (plan out routes, destinations in your hotel room and duck into stores if you need to look at a map on your phone), don't go anywhere with someone you don't know or invite them to your hotel, etc.

Text someone you know - whether in country or even at home - your daily plans and destinations and check in with them via text throughout the day. If you don't speak the local language, ask your hotel concierge to write your destinations or directions in the local language for you to use for taxis or public transport if in a location where it's generally safe.

I also scan or take pics of my passport information page, credit cards with the # and out of country customer service phone # and either email them to myself or upload to a secure online storage site like Dropbox that I can access from my phone or a computer if needed.

When I first started traveling solo like this I'd also look up the location and phone # of the U.S. Embassy, just in case.

Have fun! :tup:

Thanks for all the great advice.

The language thing has me a little worried to. I can ask to go to the bathroom in Spanish, that's about it. I saw earbuds that are supposed to translate. I debated getting those, but I'm assuming in Lima and Cusco there will be plenty of English spoken.
I used to have extended international business trips where I'd be solo over the weekends in large foreign cities. I loved having my own free time to explore and do whatever I wanted on my own schedule.

I think a lot of common sense advice applies - things like be alert and aware of your surroundings, program emergency phone numbers into your phone, guard valuables (or don't take them with you), buy and use a pickpocket proof bag/wallet, use maps discreetly when out and about (plan out routes, destinations in your hotel room and duck into stores if you need to look at a map on your phone), don't go anywhere with someone you don't know or invite them to your hotel, etc.

Text someone you know - whether in country or even at home - your daily plans and destinations and check in with them via text throughout the day. If you don't speak the local language, ask your hotel concierge to write your destinations or directions in the local language for you to use for taxis or public transport if in a location where it's generally safe.

I also scan or take pics of my passport information page, credit cards with the # and out of country customer service phone # and either email them to myself or upload to a secure online storage site like Dropbox that I can access from my phone or a computer if needed.

When I first started traveling solo like this I'd also look up the location and phone # of the U.S. Embassy, just in case.

Have fun! :tup:

I spent two weeks there.

Cusco is great to travel solo. Hiking, I wouldn't really do it.
Machu piccu should be okay solo as well just those places that not a lot of your tiara go

I like to travel alone and often even if I'm going away with other people I'll make sure I have a couple of days to myself too.

Most hotels have a card with their details at the front desk - take one of those to show taxi drivers. One of the things I've done a couple of times when in countries where I don't feel as comfortable travelling alone as a young single women is wear a wedding ring and have a mythical husband. It allows you to rebuff any romantic interest swiftly and without offence and gives you someone to be waiting for you if you want out of a situation. Not sure that Peru really has those issues but might be worth thinking about?

Basic safety advice stands too, try to avoid looking too touristy and don't flash lots of cash and valuables around. Definitely agree with giving someone at home your itinerary, I also make sure I can get to a copy of my passport just in case - either by putting a copy on the cloud or leaving a physical copy with someone at home.

Reactions: the_baglover
Thanks for all the great advice.

The language thing has me a little worried to. I can ask to go to the bathroom in Spanish, that's about it. I saw earbuds that are supposed to translate. I debated getting those, but I'm assuming in Lima and Cusco there will be plenty of English spoken.

Lucky girl - Machu Picchu is on my bucket list - I'm jealous!

If you have a smartphone or a tablet, use the Google Translate app to help. It has been a fantastic aid for me when traveling in foreign countries where I speak and read little of the local language. Load in Spanish and English and make sure it's set up to be usable offline so it will work without cellular service. You can type or speak into the phone in one language and it will write out and even speak a response in the other language. You can take a picture of a sign with words, and it will translate them. It's wonderful, and really helps when you get into a situation where communication is difficult. Good luck, and have a great time!

Reactions: redney
You are doing the Inca Trail? If so there will be porters etc.
There is a lot of english spoken in Peru. People are nice and there are a lot of independent travelers, so I dont think you would stand out being alone. You do need to pay attention to your surroundings because it is touristy and therefore things can go missing just like anywhere that has a lot of tourists. Lima has some sketchy areas (doesnt sound like you are going there though). Be careful with your transport, only using official taxis etc.
have a great time, the scenery is spectacular. The soroche is no joke. I drank the tea etc. but the first couple of days I felt a little weird.

I like to travel alone and often even if I'm going away with other people I'll make sure I have a couple of days to myself too.

Most hotels have a card with their details at the front desk - take one of those to show taxi drivers. One of the things I've done a couple of times when in countries where I don't feel as comfortable travelling alone as a young single women is wear a wedding ring and have a mythical husband. It allows you to rebuff any romantic interest swiftly and without offence and gives you someone to be waiting for you if you want out of a situation. Not sure that Peru really has those issues but might be worth thinking about?

Basic safety advice stands too, try to avoid looking too touristy and don't flash lots of cash and valuables around. Definitely agree with giving someone at home your itinerary, I also make sure I can get to a copy of my passport just in case - either by putting a copy on the cloud or leaving a physical copy with someone at home.
Thank you for the tips. I'll be sure to grab a card from the hotel. I have zero sense of direction, so I can get lost easy. I've heard of the ring thing before too. I think I will do that. I have a friend I plan on leaving a copy of my itinerary.

Lucky girl - Machu Picchu is on my bucket list - I'm jealous!

If you have a smartphone or a tablet, use the Google Translate app to help. It has been a fantastic aid for me when traveling in foreign countries where I speak and read little of the local language. Load in Spanish and English and make sure it's set up to be usable offline so it will work without cellular service. You can type or speak into the phone in one language and it will write out and even speak a response in the other language. You can take a picture of a sign with words, and it will translate them. It's wonderful, and really helps when you get into a situation where communication is difficult. Good luck, and have a great time!

I do have Google translate, How do you set it up to use offline?

I plan on talking to my cell carrier next month to see if I can get my phone set up to use there. I don't think it was too expensive.

Solo travel is one of my favourite things to do. My tips are to look as modest as possible (i.e. no flashy jewellery/watches/etc), don't carry too much cash around, always be alert of your surroundings, put your passport and cards in an RFID pouch, don't keep any valuables on your person and carry a no-fuss crossbody bag to avoid any potential theft.

Definitely no shorts! I went during the hotter months with shorts. I was cat called like crazy. I didn't even wear really "short" shorts, but shorts about 2 inches above my knee. I never felt unsafe, more just irritated at all the unwanted attention.

Reactions: the_baglover
We were in Lima in March. There were few problems with language, no inappropriate behaviour, nothing to be concerned about (except dehydration b/c I never remember to cart a drink around). In Lima we stayed in Miraflores, which is a charming suburb and had plenty to do and beautiful water views. One of our best holidays, and a place I would not be shy to visit on my own.

Sorry - just saw your question for the first time today. In the Google Translate app, go to the menu, select Offline Translation, and then select the language that you want to have available offline. It will download a file and you'll be good to go.