Solid rib rhino or DCF?

I used autologous cartilage. No idea what silicone they use in the US these days. But in Korea they use the 2 brands mainly. Ultra soft silicone and high soft siiicone. Both are soft like a sponge. If you want to use silicone in the US you should ask them to show you the samples first. They will have it in their practice. And irradiated rib has a higher resorption rate just fyi

Reactions: Nycmom01
I havent seen your nose so I dunno if its possible for you. It depends on your nasal structure whether or not tipplasty on its own is sufficient. That and your surgical expectations

rib isn't necessary unless its a revision case in which you have had an infection (low risk of that btw) from silicone or your tissues are very damaged. The margin of error is much higher when rib is used because the shape isnt perfect like silicone. It has to be carved to perfectly fit above your septum / nasal bone and it has to also fit your nasal dimensions too. This requires a certain degree of artistry which is why when rib is used the most common complication is aesthetic complications. The margin of human error is just much higher

You also want to avoid diced cartilage. I had that and it was a botch job. The problem with diced cartilage and fascia is the shape is even more difficult than full rib to get right. At least with rib a stencil can be used for a general guide, but the surgeon still need to do some additional shaping and carving. With diced cartialge + fascia thats not possible. On top of that a common (and when i say common, I mean COMMON) complication of diced cartilage is uneven resorption which ends up with you having lumps, bumps and unevenness to your nose. I had all the above from diced cartilage + fascia. I also had a humped nose and damage to my tissues to the point where the middle of my nose is permanently red. Ended up requiring a dermal graft to fix the problem. My revision was done with silicone fyi and im very happy with the results.

There is no need to fear silicone or shy away from it. Silicone is the way to go for the bridge. Tip has to be cartilage though. I wrote a post years ago explaining why surgeons in the west prefer autologous rhinos whilst those in Korea prefer silicone. You can do a search if you wanna have a read. Too much effort to explain it (5am here now) zz

Hi K Couture, thanks for sharing your experience. I always thought diced cartilage was the way to go- didn't even realize there can be uneven resorption! I had an infection with silicone so I've been looking into a revision with rib but I guess I should look for a surgeon who's skilled with using the whole rib, instead of DCF. Not sure where you live but may I ask if you did your surgeries in Korea? Sending you a DM~

My revision was using silicone and I did it in Korea. If you had an infection with silicone then you gotta use autologous or irradiated cartilage for you revision. It means youre one of the rare cases where the body rejects the silicone

My revision was using silicone and I did it in Korea. If you had an infection with silicone then you gotta use autologous or irradiated cartilage for you revision. It means youre one of the rare cases where the body rejects the silicone
Hi!! Stumbled upon your comments just now. I had DCGG done on my bridge last year and the graft is crooked/curved, lumpy, and very asymmetrical when comparing the right vs left 3/4 views :sad: I’m considering going to SK for revision. I’ve consulted with a few clinics & a lot of them recommend silicone, otherwise solid rib cartilage. Do you mind sharing an update on your revision with silicone? And which clinic/Dr you saw?