Sold my bag on Craigs List-Scam

chris7891

O.G.
Sep 22, 2008
I'm not really sure if I posted this in the right section.

I was debating on selling my bag for weeks, and I finally decided to do it.
I really did not want to use ebay, so I put it up on craigs list.

The buyer ( from Texas) was willing to give me the exact amount that the bag cost $700, which kind of seemed strange but I didn't look into it.

Paypall emailed me letting me know that the $700 was "in" my account, but wouldn't be in my account until I provided them with a tracking #.

I received another email from Paypal saying that the buyer overpaid and I had to send $100 to Nigeria. Keep in mind the bag was shipped.

I ran to the post office and thank God they didn't send out the bag.

I feel like a complete moron :cry: On the bright side I have my bag.

I'm not really sure if I posted this in the right section.

I was debating on selling my bag for weeks, and I finally decided to do it.
I really did not want to use ebay, so I put it up on craigs list.

The buyer ( from Texas) was willing to give me the exact amount that the bag cost $700, which kind of seemed strange but I didn't look into it.

Paypall emailed me letting me know that the $700 was "in" my account, but wouldn't be in my account until I provided them with a tracking #.

I received another email from Paypal saying that the buyer overpaid and I had to send $100 to Nigeria. Keep in mind the bag was shipped.

I ran to the post office and thank God they didn't send out the bag.

I feel like a complete moron :cry: On the bright side I have my bag.

glad you didn't lost $$ nor your bag, there's a lot of SCAM paypal email, always log into your paypal to makesure the email is legit :yes:
always check your paypal transaction page about buyer/seller protection, NEVER ship until OK TO SHIP are given by PAYPAL ON THE TRANSACTION PAGE.
I once had a buyer bought a bag of mine from fleabay, I follow all paypal instruction and shipped, couple days later she received left me EXCELLENT feedback and asking to buy another bag at lower price, I agreed since she's return buyer, she paid via echeck, couple days later while I was waiting for her echeck to clear, I notice my paypal balance was negative??????? I call paypal and found out this particular buyer file dispute with her credit card company?????? anyway, I got my money credit back to my account since I follow paypal instruction. Another seller email me told me she did the same thing to her. couple weeks later, the buyer account was suspended on fleabay.

wow! glad you caught on to it before you got scammed! I've never known paypal to send e-mails about overpaying....
I received a phony paypal email which was strange bc it said service@paypal, or something to that effect, and I could have sworn that was the legitimate e-mail address.

I have one bag for sale right now, after that, I think I'm pretty much done with selling period, there are just too many scams for me to have to be aware of. People are just so scummy these days :pout:

LIke it or not, Ebay is still probably the safest place to buy/sell overall. We only hear about the bad transactions, and yes I am sure there are lots that go unreported, but I think that the vast majority of the thousands of daily transactions go through w/out a hitch.

As long as you follow the rules/guidelines and cover your heinie you should be ok.

If someone is determined to scam, they are going to try and do it no matter what the venue. So sad.

That's why I either sell my designer items to my friends or at a consignment shop. I know I could probably get more $ if I went on ebay, but I prefer a consignment shop. No hassle, minimal risk of scam, no worry of needing to ship etc. I used to do ebay but after someone damaging an item and sending it back, all of the buyer's remorse cases and then all the fees going up---I'll pass!

It sounds like the email you got from PayPal about overpayment was the scam...not the person who bought the bag. Unless I'm misunderstanding something?

I NEVER click links in emails from PayPal, eBay, my bank, etc. I always go to the site directly and log in. People are really good at making the emails and websites look legit and when you click through, you go to a fake website and if you log in thinking the real website, you give them your log in info. :sad:

That paypal emails must have been fake- paypal does not do pending transactions like that, if the money is in, it is in, unless it's an e-check. So glad you recovered your bag! I get emails like that when I list stuff on CL- like they'll pay me in check and can you wire me the difference, blah, blah!

I would be changing my passwords ASAP. It sounds like those PayPal emails were fake so they may have hijacked your account passwords or snuck a trojan onto your computer. Please be safe and run your anti-virus program and change those passwords AFTER you are sure your computer is clean!