Sold GiftCard - Buyer asking for #

ZsaZsasCloset

Aug 8, 2008
So I sold a Pottery Barn gift card on ebay two days ago. I emailed the buyer asking when they were planning on paying because I hadnt heard anything since the auction ended, and she just wrote back asking for the number on the card so that she can verify the balance and then she would pay.

This doesnt sit well with me. #1 - I just sold another card before this one and already received positive feedback, which I pointed out to this buyer. #2 - I had to contact her. She should have contacted me with any requests. #3 - She should have made such a request BEFORE bidding AND winning my auction.

I am leary of giving the number with all the scammers out there. You never know what they can do. Especially because I just sold another card last week and it went smoothly, buyer paid next day, I sent card same day, and buyer left me good feed back saying the card as described and fast shipping. I have no bad feedback.

So I've replied to this seller letting her know my concerns, but haven't heard back. Any advice????

So I sold a Pottery Barn gift card on ebay two days ago. I emailed the buyer asking when they were planning on paying because I hadnt heard anything since the auction ended, and she just wrote back asking for the number on the card so that she can verify the balance and then she would pay.

This doesnt sit well with me. #1 - I just sold another card before this one and already received positive feedback, which I pointed out to this buyer. #2 - I had to contact her. She should have contacted me with any requests. #3 - She should have made such a request BEFORE bidding AND winning my auction.

I am leary of giving the number with all the scammers out there. You never know what they can do. Especially because I just sold another card last week and it went smoothly, buyer paid next day, I sent card same day, and buyer left me good feed back saying the card as described and fast shipping. I have no bad feedback.

So I've replied to this seller letting her know my concerns, but haven't heard back. Any advice????

She wants the gift card number? Couldn't she just use it online then? I wouldn't give it out! She shouldn't have bid if she had 'requirements', such as having the number first before she'd pay. I'd give her 7 days and then report her as a non-paying bidder if she doesn't pay. I wouldn't give the number out.

Linda

Check your buyers fd
read as much as you can, see if they have purchased GDs before.

Many GCs have an area you have to scratch off to see the code that is used when making an purchases online or thru the phone. If your GD has that i dont see why it would be an issue to give her the card to check it out. If it doesn't have that i wouldnt give it to the buyer

i'd tell her that for security purposes you don't give out the number in advance of purchase. and then if she doesn't pay in 7 days, file NPB

Check your buyers fd
read as much as you can, see if they have purchased GDs before.

Many GCs have an area you have to scratch off to see the code that is used when making an purchases online or thru the phone. If your GD has that i dont see why it would be an issue to give her the card to check it out. If it doesn't have that i wouldnt give it to the buyer

Yeah I know about the security code. It has that. I'm just worried that its some sort of scam and that there's someway that she can use it or get it replaced through PB if I give her the number.... I've read all her feedback (all good), but only made $3 and $4 purchases in the past 6 mos. So maybe she did that to start building up her positive feedback and then is going to go on a buying spree of more pricey items until feedback catches up... who knows, just dont want to get screwed.

Yeah I know about the security code. It has that. I'm just worried that its some sort of scam and that there's someway that she can use it or get it replaced through PB if I give her the number.... I've read all her feedback (all good), but only made $3 and $4 purchases in the past 6 mos. So maybe she did that to start building up her positive feedback and then is going to go on a buying spree of more pricey items until feedback catches up... who knows, just dont want to get screwed.
Don't give her the #, just tell her to pay, then get the card in the mail. If she doesn't pay at all, file a non-paying bidder and give her a strike. If you gave her the #, she could always use it and then say it didn't work or something. She hasn't paid, you owe her nothing...Sounds like a scam.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reassurances everyone. Wanted to make sure I wasnt being too paranoid! I sent her an email outlining my position and gave her the choice of either paying for the item today or I would go ahead and send a second chance offer to the next person in line. That was this morning. Haven't heard back. So I'll send the second chance offer tomorrow morning if I don't get paid (which I'm hoping I don't now because I'm leary of this buyer!).

I would not give her the number of the card and since you sent her an e-mail

notifying her that either she pays or you will do a second chance offer..

what's her problem? couldn't pull something off?

Thanks for the reassurances everyone. Wanted to make sure I wasnt being too paranoid! I sent her an email outlining my position and gave her the choice of either paying for the item today or I would go ahead and send a second chance offer to the next person in line. That was this morning. Haven't heard back. So I'll send the second chance offer tomorrow morning if I don't get paid (which I'm hoping I don't now because I'm leary of this buyer!).

I don't think you can do anything until 7 days have passed, then you have to file a UPI. Unless she agrees to mutually cancel. If you offer it to the 2nd buyer, you risk having sold the item twice, without resolving the first sale.