Sold Bag on eBay.. shipped using USPS.. sick to my stomach!!!

I purchased an item on eBay this weekend. I received a tracking number Monday. The tracking only showed the label had been purchased online, but never dropped off. It never updated. Imagine my surprise today when I checked tracking and it said out for delivery! The Post Office never scanned the drop off or at any point along the way until it arrived here. I bet your package will show up soon.

Wow!!!!! I really hope this is what's happening with mine.. stories like these make me feel better lol

Reactions: caannie
This would have me scared too, OP. I recently bought a pricey item that posted from Australia. The seller shipped expedited USPS and it tracked all the way through. Then it showed delivery for a Saturday so I went about my business. I'd checked the tracking Friday morning before making plans for the day, and the tracking showed it wasn't even in my city yet. I arrived home after 5pm on Friday and found a notice of attempted delivery from the post office in my mail box. I ran out and picked up the package at the post office before it closed, signed, had to show my ID. And the kicker here, is that it's been 2 weeks and the package still doesn't show as delivered or picked up, only as "attempted delivery". I messaged my seller via eBay and let her know it had arrived and all was well despite the item not showing as being delivered. I also left her feedback so she was protected. But the whole thing has made me very leery as I feel Paypal/eBay would only look for a delivery confirmation on the tracking page should someone claim INR. Maybe I'm wrong and they'd investigate it further.

This would have me scared too, OP. I recently bought a pricey item that posted from Australia. The seller shipped expedited USPS and it tracked all the way through. Then it showed delivery for a Saturday so I went about my business. I'd checked the tracking Friday morning before making plans for the day, and the tracking showed it wasn't even in my city yet. I arrived home after 5pm on Friday and found a notice of attempted delivery from the post office in my mail box. I ran out and picked up the package at the post office before it closed, signed, had to show my ID. And the kicker here, is that it's been 2 weeks and the package still doesn't show as delivered or picked up, only as "attempted delivery". I messaged my seller via eBay and let her know it had arrived and all was well despite the item not showing as being delivered. I also left her feedback so she was protected. But the whole thing has made me very leery as I feel Paypal/eBay would only look for a delivery confirmation on the tracking page should someone claim INR. Maybe I'm wrong and they'd investigate it further.

A similar thing happened to me as a seller. I sold and shipped a bag, buyer messaged me that they had received a delivery attempt notice and would be picking up the bag the next day. The bag was never scanned as delivered. I never heard from the buyer again. I can only assume she picked it up, but she could easily have claimed she never got it.

I think most people are honest, but there are people who know how to exploit vulnerabilities.

ang3lina33 I have my fingers crossed for you! I have had packages show up suddenly after tracking wasn't updated for days.

Reactions: gazoo
This happened to me with an iphone I sold. I think it was delivered without getting the signature, so it never showed as delivered. The buyer gave me good feedback so I knew he got it. But he could easily have claimed INR and I would have lost. I think this only happens if a signature is required. A few times I've gotten things delivered that weren't scanned as delivered. Then in the next day or two the scanning gets updated to show it was delivered, often at an impossible time like 10PM on a Sunday, so I think the post office has the ability to "fake" a scan. If a signature is required, they probably don't have this capability.

Reactions: ironic568
I messaged the buyer earlier today and she claims she has not received it and to just ask the post office to re-route the package back my way?

Well, I just left the post office. Postmaster was not on duty. I spoke to the Supervisor, and he looked up any and every activity that corresponded to my tracking number and printed it out. The only things that showed were that I printed the label and that I called 2 days later inquiring about the item and everyday after that.

I asked him about the cameras and he said they didn't record. I literally started shedding tears. I asked the post office worker if he remembered when I dropped the item off to him and of course, he said he didn't remember.

I asked for the consumer affairs number and he claimed he didn't have any information but the 1800 #. He wasn't rude, in fact he was a nice guy BUT seemed very incompetent. It wasn't until I told him that I also am federal employee and worked for homeland security did he seem to care a bit more and actually recited the consumer affairs number to me. (Unbelievable)

I'm on the phone with consumer affairs now and the lady said that without a scan ANYWHERE, there is nothing they can do.

Should I come to accept that it's really just a waiting game of whether it turns up or not? This is crazy..it's my fault for not getting a receipt.

And just got off the phone with consumer affairs and they claim there's absolutely nothing they can do because it has not scanned anywhere. Not even claim insurance which is what one poster mentioned earlier... and I kind of had a fear because it made perfect sense...

I want to cry all over again.

Last edited:
I messaged the buyer earlier today and she claims she has not received it and to just ask the post office to re-route the package back my way?

Well, I just left the post office. Postmaster was not on duty. I spoke to the Supervisor, and he looked up any and every activity that corresponded to my tracking number and printed it out. The only things that showed were that I printed the label and that I called 2 days later inquiring about the item and everyday after that.

I asked him about the cameras and he said they didn't record. I literally started shedding tears. I asked the post office worker if he remembered when I dropped the item off to him and of course, he said he didn't remember.

I asked for the consumer affairs number and he claimed he didn't have any information but the 1800 #. He wasn't rude, in fact he was a nice guy BUT seemed very incompetent. It wasn't until I told him that I also a federal employee and worked for homeland security did seem to care a bit more and actually recited the consumer affairs number to me. (Unbelievable)

I'm on the phone with consumer affairs now and the lady said that without a scan ANYWHERE, there is nothing they can do.

Should I come to accept that it's really just a waiting game of whether it turns up or not? This is crazy..it's my fault for not getting a receipt.

And just got off the phone with consumer affairs and they claim there's absolutely nothing they can do because it has not scanned anywhere. Not even claim insurance which is what one poster mentioned earlier... and I kind of had a fear because it made perfect sense...

I want to cry all over again.
I'm so sorry. Please don't give up hope yet. I don't know if a receipt would help with insurance. It isn't the same thing as a scan.

You know, to make matters worse... maybe it's karma somehow. I had the bag listed for $1700 OBO. The buyer had a zero rating with no purchase and had just created her account March 2017.

She submitted an offer for $1600 and I politely sent her a message stating that I saw she was new and had no ratings, and if she was serious she should send me a message, and declined her offer. I didn't hear anything back until she submitted another offer for $1500 and stated "I'm a serious buyer not looking to waste your time." I counter offered $1550 and she accepted.

Ugh... I can't stop thinking about this. I have work in an hr and I just feel defeated for the day...

In the meantime, since your case on eBay doesn't close until the 23rd, I'd message your buyer in the hope that they're a tad more patient with you. Explain that you're working on tracking the package.

Last edited:
I know it's stressful when it's happening to you but the label was printed on the 15th (according to you) so even if shipped that day, that was Monday, just 4 days ago. I am shocked that your buyer is that impatient!

Does the buyer have a history or is she a newbie? It's a PITA because with Amazon prime, buyers are so used to getting their item within hours of a purchase that when an item comes by snail mail, they expect the same from the post office.

I still believe that it will show up and as stressful as it is, try to sit tight.

Ladies, you will not believe what happened. I feel so embarrassed!!!

So my mother, who is such a kind angel, has a friend who works at the post office I dropped the item off at... my mother called her to see if there was something she could do to assist me (since she saw I was distraught).

My mother told her it was a large Macy's box reused to package the item. She searched endlessly in the piles of unclaimed packages in the back of the warehouse.

Apparently, my package had been set aside because I paid for 2lbs worth of shipping and my package weighed 2.2lbs. She called my mother to give her the good news!!!!!

My scale was off!!!! I weighed my package at 1.8lbs and automatically rounded up to 2lbs.

I asked my kind mother to go up to the post office, pay the difference, get a receipt of acceptance and to send off immediately. I insisted on overnighting the package but she mentioned it was past the cutoff and would reach her on Monday... and she also said that 2 day would also reach her Monday because packages are usually in transit on Sundays as well... I kept the 2-day priority I initially paid for.

I sent the buyer a message to let her know and apologized profusely! She has been quick to send me a response to all of my messages.. we shall see if she says anything since she has already requested a full refund. I am so relieved yet embarrassed... such an oversight on my part. Thank goodness my precious bag was found!I thank you all for all the help and reassurance and let this be a lesson learned for all. Lol [emoji31] get a receipt of acceptance!