Sold a Chanel boy and buyer claimed it's fake, now my Paypal account is down $4k

Cika857

Apr 13, 2015
Ladies,
Please help me.
I recently sold an authentic Chanel boy in old medium size with beige caviar leather on Ebay. The buyer received the bag and accused my bag of being fake. She opened a case with Ebay and now my Paypal is in a negative balance of $4k! =(
The reason she gave me was because she thought the chain would be heavier and the leather smells funky.
I told her I own 2 other boys myself and the chains are no different than the ones I own. I asked her to have the bag authenticated with Authenticate4U, but I never heard back from her.
Does anyone have similar experience like this that can be shared with me?
I can't buy or sell anymore with Paypal until this is resolved. Anyone knows how long this process will take?
I have attached some pictures here and you can see the details yourself. (I always cover part of the serial number so the fake bag manufacturer can't make bags with that same number)
I'm also afraid that in the end she'll send me back a fake bag instead of my real one.
I'm super upset right now especially I'm in the process of moving and this is a huge chunk of money to me.. =(

Last edited:
Did you get the bag from a Chanel boutique or authorized retailer? I know there is an ebay thread on one of the other forums (general shopping, maybe) that may be able to help you with the ebay issue.

Long story short, I bought it from a friend who works for Chanel in Italy.
But because it was purchased with employee discount, a receipt cannot be provided.
I'll try to look for the other thread, thanks!

unfortunately, i have dealt with this as well. ebay will have her send the bag back to you if authenticity is questioned AT ALL. the reason is b/c Ebay does not want to accept the liability of having an item proven as counterfeit. in the past, if the item was counterfeit, they would tell the buyer to destroy the bag or get rid of it. this would get them in trouble with the seller (especially if the bag was indeed authentic).

so now, if the authenticity is questioned...they don't want to deal with it at all. they try to reset things back to zero by having the buyer return the bag to the seller. it sucks. i had a buyer use my purse, then filed a counterfeit claim & ebay made me accept the return.

best case scenario is that you get your bag back and make sure it's actually yours!

Reactions: SweetDaisy05
unfortunately, i have dealt with this as well. ebay will have her send the bag back to you if authenticity is questioned AT ALL. the reason is b/c Ebay does not want to accept the liability of having an item proven as counterfeit. in the past, if the item was counterfeit, they would tell the buyer to destroy the bag or get rid of it. this would get them in trouble with the seller (especially if the bag was indeed authentic).

so now, if the authenticity is questioned...they don't want to deal with it at all. they try to reset things back to zero by having the buyer return the bag to the seller. it sucks. i had a buyer use my purse, then filed a counterfeit claim & ebay made me accept the return.

best case scenario is that you get your bag back and make sure it's actually yours!
That sucks! :sad:
How long did the whole process take you?
Did you have to refund her in full and also pay her back on return shipping too?
I spent a good amount of money because I purchased full insurance on the bag, and if i want her to do the same, which means I'll have to eat that amount twice!

The bag looks off to me, there are some red flags for this bag;
- there is NO boy caviar with shiny silver hardware for hologram 22xxxxxx
- the stamp and hologram definitely look off

It can not be guaranteed that you will get 100% authentic bag from people who work for Chanel unless you purchase it from Chanel boutiques.
=(
Now you are scaring me. But I was told this bag is the new 2016 collection and it's still being sold in store right now in Italy.
I might just ask for the bag back first, then have the bag authenticated myself to be sure.
But that way I'd lose almost $200 on shipping cost.

So you don't know for a fact that the bag is authentic?
I would get the bag authenticated ASAP. If not here then Etinceler or Authenticate4u. If it is in fact authentic you could provide the buyer with that info. If it isn't you would need to take it back refund the buyer and see what arrangements you could make with your 'friend' to recoup your original funds.
Losing $400 vs $4000? I know what choice I would make

Reactions: skimilk and lexus72
You should have bag authenticated promptly. You need to know 100% that the bag you sold is authentic.
If the bag is authentic you can forward that report to your buyer. If there is any question about the authenticity
then you need to have the buyer return the bag & upon receipt refund the buyer.
As far as the shipping costs, unfortunately in your case you may have to chalk it up to
doing business...
As for your friend possibly selling you a bag with a potential authenticity issue, you need to take that matter
up with your friend...

So you don't know for a fact that the bag is authentic?
I would get the bag authenticated ASAP. If not here then Etinceler or Authenticate4u. If it is in fact authentic you could provide the buyer with that info. If it isn't you would need to take it back refund the buyer and see what arrangements you could make with your 'friend' to recoup your original funds.
Losing $400 vs $4000? I know what choice I would make
[QUOTE="hotshot, post: 30406066, member: 50931"]You should have bag authenticated promptly. You need to know 100% that the bag you sold is authentic.
If the bag is authentic you can forward that report to your buyer. If there is any question about the authenticity
then you need to have the buyer return the bag & upon receipt refund the buyer.

As for your friend possibly selling you a bag with a potential authenticity issue, you need to take that matter
up with your friend.
..[/QUOTE]

I have already started the return process with the buyer.
I'll have A4U authenticate it once I receive it back then try to sell it again once I have confirmation on the authenticity.
And yes, if in the end the bag is not real, I'll definitely get my money back from this friend of mine.
Right now I still have faith that this bag is real because all the details are the same as the one I purchased directly from Chanel.
But I'll let the professional do the job for me to confirm that.

I have already started the return process with the buyer.
I'll have A4U authenticate it once I receive it back then try to sell it again once I have confirmation on the authenticity.
And yes, if in the end the bag is not real, I'll definitely get my money back from this friend of mine.
Right now I still have faith that this bag is real because all the details are the same as the one I purchased directly from Chanel.
But I'll let the professional do the job for me to confirm that.

If the bag is authentic you should have no problem.If your buyer is willing to wait for authenticate4U to confirm the
bag is authentic, then you may luck out. If not just ask the buyer to return the bag & refund.
As far as your friend goes, the right thing would be for you to get your money back if there is any question
as to the authenticity.
Keep us posted..