SOGs -- Filing/Shaping Nails -- Question!

diram

Jul 18, 2010
Q:
Is it OK to file your nail length while you have soak off gel polish on?

Or will this remove the seal on the free edge of the nail, allowing water/moisture to get between the nail and the polish, risking infection (fungal or bacterial)?

I ask because I filed my nails while I had my gel polish on (I had a split in 2 nails, so I tried to file them vs remove the polish and re-polish). I then decided to file down all of my nails, to avoid any more splits. One of my friends said I should NOT do this with the gel polish on because of the above reason.

Thanks!

Q:

Or will this remove the seal on the free edge of the nail, allowing water/moisture to get between the nail and the polish, risking infection (fungal or bacterial)?

I ask because I filed my nails while I had my gel polish on (I had a split in 2 nails, so I tried to file them vs remove the polish and re-polish). I then decided to file down all of my nails, to avoid any more splits. One of my friends said I should NOT do this with the gel polish on because of the above reason.

Thanks!
I do this sometimes, it does remove the seal on the free edge, but I doubt if it would allow fungus to grow. This is more of a problem when you have something like acrylics or other nails glued on, I think. If you are worried about it do another topcoat on the free edge and cure to reseal it.

I get lifting if I file the free edge much myself. So I would tend to agree with Vonni - If enough stuff can get under there, it will probably lift and/or peel anyway before anything had time to grow.

Q:

Thanks!

You can, but you need to use a very high grit - 240 or higher. When you use a high grit file and use a back and forth motion, it seals the nail layers. Properly applied, you should not get lifting, but if you have doubts, just put on another thin layer of top coat, reseal and cure.

Hi all, just a quick question. If you reapply your sog top coat for any reason (several days after doing your mani), do you buff the existing top coat first, or do any other prep? Or do you just apply a new layer of top coat directly onto the existing mani? Thanks :smile:

Hi all, just a quick question. If you reapply your sog top coat for any reason (several days after doing your mani), do you buff the existing top coat first, or do any other prep? Or do you just apply a new layer of top coat directly onto the existing mani? Thanks :smile:

I have done this and just put a new layer of top coat directly to the existing mani.

I quickly wipe the nail plate, including free edge & sidewalls, with alcohol (or whatever prep-cleanser you prefer) to remove any debris and oil transferred from touching the nail. I'm prob OCD but It doesn't take long.

Last edited: