SOGs -- Can you MEND a split nail OVER gel polish, successfully??? +++

diram

Jul 18, 2010
Bah!
I have yet anoother side split nail. I haven 't had these issues in a long time, but since using the gel polish, it's been happening frequently. :/ I hope it's not really due to the gel polish, as I realllllllllly am loving the uber-long wear time.

Q:
Can I just use silk wraps to mend the split OVER the gel polish?
I am trying to avoid having to soak this already weak nail with more acetone, and then repaint with all the diff layers all over again. :/

If I can layer over the gel polish, should I file the shiny topcoat off first?
And after mending and smoothing, do I just apply the gel "color" and then the "topcoat"? ie, I don't have to use the basecoat after the silk layer, right?

darn it!!!! it was my "good" nail that got the split in it, too (ie, my ring finger's nail --- my best shaped and perfect length nail....ugh).

Thanks!!

update:
I decided to just try using 2 coats of Gelish Top It Off in hopes of it sealing the split in my nail, and ......it worked! :smile: At least for now, anyway. lol

It looks great -- you cannot tell I had a split. I hope this holds!

update:
I decided to just try using 2 coats of Gelish Top It Off in hopes of it sealing the split in my nail, and ......it worked! :smile: At least for now, anyway. lol

It looks great -- you cannot tell I had a split. I hope this holds!
Good luck, I hope it holds. It's so annoying when your best nails splits.

I have repaired a split over gel. What works for me: lightly buff the topcoat. Apply silk. Then a layer of Vitagel, cure, buff if needed to smooth, then topcoat. Worked great!

Thank you very much for that info, artiemd! :smile:
So far, my split is holding steady with just the extra topcoat. If it re-splits, I do it your suggested way!

Q:
You didn't mention re applying the colorr. ?
Do I do that before OR after the Vitagel?

Much thanks again!

Hi again artiemd!

Well, Day 3 and my "mend" with only a layer of extra topcoat finally gave out. :/

I used the method you suggested, but did not have Vitagel, so I filed the surface of my gel mani + mended split with silk and nail glue + put on a layer of OPI base coat (because I was afraid the gel polish might not adhere to the glue layer without it, lol), and then applied a layer of the gel polish color + Gelish Top It Off.
Wow. lol

Not sure what horrible a time of it I will have when it comes to the removal process, but at least my nail split feels secure now. :biggrin:

Btw, when I added the "color" layer, it was very different from the other nail color (2 color coats on the other nails), so I ended up having to add a layer of color and topcoat to the rest of my fingers. But, at least I now know that this color morphs --- 2 colors in one bottle -- I like it! For ref, it was OPI My Address Is Hollywood. I LOVE this shade! It's the first "coral" I have been able to wear without my neutral to slightly cool med olive skin looking dead/blah/putty greenish beige taupe! It actually makes my skin tone look more vibrant. 2 coats gave me more of a creamy slightly muted peachy-coral, whereas 3 coats looks more vibrant, a bit deeper in color saturation, and much more of a warm pink/rosey-coral. I love both! :smile:

Thanks again for your help!

Btw, when I added the "color" layer, it was very different from the other nail color (2 color coats on the other nails), so I ended up having to add a layer of color and topcoat to the rest of my fingers. But, at least I now know that this color morphs --- 2 colors in one bottle -- I like it!
Many of my SOG polishes fade with time and it doesn't matter the brand.