SOG fans I need your help please

Krr607

Apr 1, 2011
Hi ladies,
I am feeling really frustrated. I have spent a fortune over the years on bases, treatments and top coats etc but nothing stopped polish chipping within 24 hours of application.
I thought the answer was SOG's and have invested an awful lot of cash on them but am still getting only a day or so from shellac or chu ( haven't tried the others yet) before a chip or 2 appears.

I do have soft bendy nails. Here is what I do..

Clean nail plate with scrub fresh
Apply a nail primer ( one I had for acrylic nails don't have a specific gel one)
One coat shellac base super thin
Two coats super thin shellac or chu
One thin coat of shellac top coat
Alcohol to wipe
Oil round edges several times a day

I have ordered gelish base and structure and top and some other gel brands from beauty wests and am awaiting arrival in UK.

Can anyone advises what I am doing wrong or things to try

Which primer do you use? At what stage does this go on?
What about base coat? Some of you are using this, does primer go on before or after regular base coat? What point does the structure go on?
Do I need primer and structure?

Sorry for all the questions but I am determined to find a solution, I just love doing my nails but am worried about uv exposure if I am having to do them twice a week.

Also I have spent so much already I can't give up now!

Thanks in advance

Kerri

P.s anyone in UK got any supplier tips?

wohlgie

Elaine
Apr 16, 2011
I have soft bendy nails too. The only way I've been able to wear polish longer than a day is to have acrylics or hard gels (which I have now). That said, now that I have Gelish Structure and can use it, I will let my hard (i.e., NOT soak off) gels grow out/off.

If your nails bend a lot throughout the day, I don't think that there is any polish product that finishes hard and will stay on them. I think that a layer, or in your case maybe two, of Structure will help immensely with the bending issue and thereby solving your chipping issue.

People apply a base coat (after primer, before gel base coat/foundation) not to strengthen their nails, or to avoid chips, but to help with the removal/soak-off process. People are reporting a MUCH easier time getting their SOG off if they apply a polish base coat under it all.

I'm sorry that I can't help with a UK supplier other than to suggest monitoring the Salon Geek / Nail Geek board - which is in the UK - and see where the participants are getting their product. I wouldn't post - they are all professional nail techs and not into helping DIYers- but I would read.

starqueen_78

Aug 18, 2006
I had soft bendy nails for years............. and then started taking vitamins (the pregnancy ones!) and using Clarins hand cream and a cheapie cuticle oil when I take my polish off. It has made a massive difference - they are rock hard and polish now stays on for ages. Maybe the answer isn't on top of your nails? I know they have hair, skin & nails vitamins you could try.

VuittonsLover

Cartier Crazy
O.G.
Sep 11, 2007
Hi ladies,
I am feeling really frustrated. I have spent a fortune over the years on bases, treatments and top coats etc but nothing stopped polish chipping within 24 hours of application.
I thought the answer was SOG's and have invested an awful lot of cash on them but am still getting only a day or so from shellac or chu ( haven't tried the others yet) before a chip or 2 appears.

Apply a nail primer ( one I had for acrylic nails don't have a specific gel one)
Alcohol to wipe

I have ordered gelish base and structure and top and some other gel brands from beauty wests and am awaiting arrival in UK.

What about base coat? Some of you are using this, does primer go on before or after regular base coat? What point does the structure go on?

Sorry for all the questions but I am determined to find a solution, I just love doing my nails but am worried about uv exposure if I am having to do them twice a week.

Thanks in advance

Kerri

You didn't mention curing between layers with the UV. Did you do that..??

Assuming you did.... some people just naturally have oily nail beds. It might just not be sticking properly for whatever reason.

Bphorse123

Mar 8, 2011
Hi ladies,

Alcohol to wipe

Thanks in advance

Kerri

a lot of people seem to have trouble with their specific uv lights. How long do you cure between each layer?
Some people suggest that some of the uv lights have lesser quality bulbs. Perhaps, they need replaced.
I've heard mixed reviews on both of the shellac and chu polishes. People really seem to like the gelish line. Maybe, once it comes in, You will have better luck with it.

Krr607

Apr 1, 2011
a lot of people seem to have trouble with their specific uv lights. How long do you cure between each layer?
Some people suggest that some of the uv lights have lesser quality bulbs. Perhaps, they need replaced.
I've heard mixed reviews on both of the shellac and chu polishes. People really seem to like the gelish line. Maybe, once it comes in, You will have better luck with it.

Hi ladies,
Thank you, yes I cure the shellac base for 10-15 seconds, the shellac color for 2 mins each coat, the chu 3 mins each coat, then shellac top coat 2 mins. Feels and looks great for a day or so. Am awaiting my order with structure and gelish base, gelish top coat and colors.

Any more tips in the meantime most gratefully received.

Bphorse123

Mar 8, 2011
P.s my lamp is a brand new 'rio' one (36w)

Which primer do people use
And also , if using structure,do I need base too? And which goes on first stucture or base?

Thank you x
I actually don't even use a primer or structure. I believe, you still need the base coat if using structure. Since you have a 36 watt uv light, you could try letting your basecoat cure for a longer duration (I cure for 2 minutes on the gelish base). People on tpf also say you should cure darker colors for longer durations.
Also, don't use cuticle oil the day of your manicure. Have you tried having a professional do your SOG nails and if so, did it work?

Steepdene

Mar 21, 2011
Okay, you don't need a primer. Scrub fresh should be fine. Some people only have success with the CND lamp for the shellac, which lamp are you using?

I would say persevere, I have soft bendy nails. I've been using shellac for a few months now and it's now lasting longer on me. Still not a full 14 days, but certainly at least 7 - 10 days.

HTH a bit.

Krr607

Apr 1, 2011
Hi , the brand of my lamp is called 'Rio' it cost about $100.

And yes, did have a nail tech do my nails, she is very experienced and is an educator for nail trainees. It lasted about 4 days when she did it which I was initially happy with as ordinary polish does not last longer than 24 hours. As I said I would be happy to get 4 days out of a DIY mani but am currently only getting about 2.

brookeecm

Apr 18, 2011
Just want to say I am facing the same issues, Krr607. I had Shellac professionally applied once and got 6 days of wear. I purchased the Gelish system and have only gotten 2 days of wear before experiencing chipping and lifting.

I have tried to execute my application to the "T" as I suspect you have too.

Primer, you ask? I use Gelish Ph Bond, but again, have not achieved optimum results yet.

There are 3 more steps I can attempt to see if I can get longer wear with SOGs but have not yet come up with the $$ to do so :sad: so my trial and error saga continues.

#1 I am going to buy and try a bonder like OPI's Bond-Aid or Gelish's Pro Bond.

#2 I am going to buy and try Gelish's Structure.

#3 I am going to junk my 36 watt UV lamp which I bought off an Amazon seller which I suspect has weak bulbs and spring for the LED light which people report are less likely to arrive faulty.

lwyrmom

Mar 23, 2011
I have bendy nails as well and shellac does not work for me. It's like my nail bends and then the polish cracks at the ends, if that makes any sense. And once it has a crack I peel it off or it comes off on it's own. I also had no luck with Gelac, but I am getting really great wear out of my gelish. Maybe that will be better for you as well.

Bphorse123

Mar 8, 2011
Hi , the brand of my lamp is called 'Rio' it cost about $100.

And yes, did have a nail tech do my nails, she is very experienced and is an educator for nail trainees. It lasted about 4 days when she did it which I was initially happy with as ordinary polish does not last longer than 24 hours. As I said I would be happy to get 4 days out of a DIY mani but am currently only getting about 2.
I guess my next question would be: are you getting any of the polish on your cuticles? People have reported problems with this. If this is the case, try removing any of the polish with an orangewood stick. Are you pushing back your cuticles?
I wouldn't give up. Not after you've invested that much money. I am sure you will get to the bottom of it!

Krr607

Apr 1, 2011
I guess my next question would be: are you getting any of the polish on your cuticles? People have reported problems with this. If this is the case, try removing any of the polish with an orangewood stick. Are you pushing back your cuticles?
I wouldn't give up. Not after you've invested that much money. I am sure you will get to the bottom of it!

Hi,
yes cuticles nicely pushed back and looking better than ever with all the solar oil:biggrin: and no polish on cuticles. To be honest I did Shellac on Sunday night and apart from a chipped thumb on Monday all the others are fine, so things may be looking up!

thankyou