Soft vs. Hard Luggage: carry on, experiences, practicality, pros and cons

For those who are considering purchasing LV luggage and those who own luggage,feel free to share your experiences about traveling with LV luggage. :smile:

Please include the following information:

1. do you own/want hard or soft luggage
2. model name and size
a. how do you (plan to) travel with your luggage? (plane, car,train,etc)
b. if you traveled by plane, did you check it in?
c. have you had any trouble checking it in? please explain
(weight, size,etc)
d. did your luggage arrive in the same condition as you checked it in?4. how did/do you plan to use your luggage?
(overnight, weekend trip, show)
5. What do you think is the best piece to use as a carry on?
6. why did you (or want to) purchase the piece?
7. do you regret your purchase? if so, what piece would you have chosen instead?
8. any other information you think is useful to share, pros and cons

I'll start! I've actually been going back and forth in my head about getting luggage. I want hard luggage because it is such a classic style and will always hold value, however, soft luggage like the keepal or pegase is so praticle because they're so light and the pegase has wheels. I do hop on planes every once in awhile but i take more weekend trips by car. I absoutely LOVE the look of hard luggage but i hear that it gets heavy. I want a piece that I can use for weekend trips and if needed, to be carried onto a plane while still looking chic.
What a dilemma: get hard luggage or soft?

Any suggestions?

For those who are considering purchasing LV luggage and those who own luggage,feel free to share your experiences about traveling with LV luggage. :smile:

Please include the following information:

2. model name and size
(weight, size,etc)
d. did your luggage arrive in the same condition as you checked it in?4. how did/do you plan to use your luggage?
7. do you regret your purchase? if so, what piece would you have chosen instead?

I'll start! I've actually been going back and forth in my head about getting luggage. I want hard luggage because it is such a classic style and will always hold value, however, soft luggage like the keepal or pegase is so praticle because they're so light and the pegase has wheels. I do hop on planes every once in awhile but i take more weekend trips by car. I absoutely LOVE the look of hard luggage but i hear that it gets heavy. I want a piece that I can use for weekend trips and if needed, to be carried onto a plane while still looking chic.
What a dilemma: get hard luggage or soft?

Any suggestions?

Well, both my wife and I own hard and soft luggage. And to answer your questions:
Yes

2. model name and size
Alzer 70 x 3 and a brand new Bisten 70, a custom made trunk. A hat box, a few keepalls, and lots of purses (my wife of course).

We usually never go on a road trip, but when we do drive, we tend to use our car. More comfortable than a train. The Alzer fits perfectly in the trunk of our Range Rover Sport.
When we fly, we use some of it all, the alzer is usually always a must, and the keepall for carry-on.

We check in the hard sided luggage, and usually nothing happens to it, but we have had some bad experience with certain airlines. The Keepalls we always carry on.

(weight, size,etc)
If the weight is a problem, I always pay the excess weight. The size had never been a problem. I don't know, but they might be nicer to us because we tend to fly first class or business. Any experience that begs to differ?

d. did your luggage arrive in the same condition as you checked it in?It usually does, but we've had one time some luggage was stolen, and we raised a case in court. We won, but not even half of the loss was paid by the airline.

how did/do you plan to use your luggage?

For stays more than 5 days, we use the alzer, and keepalls. For weekends we tend to only use keepall, but it depends on what my wife is bringing and where we are going. We had to bring all three alzers to Paris Fashion week because of all her dresses, and I even bought a new keepall on the way home.

Keepall is our favourite. 45 or 55 with strap.

Because of the excellent quality Louis Vuitton products generally have.

No.

Pro:

People look at you :smile:

Soft, mono pegase 60, carry on. It's not mine so I don't personally own it but I might as well because I am the one to use all the time (It's my mama's).
I love it because it's lightweight and practical and I can fit many things going away for 4 days. Pros is its lightweight Cons for me is I don't like people staring at me when I do use it so lately Ive been using my regular plain luggage

I have used the Mono Keepall 55 again my mama's but what's hers is mine too ;)
I don't like to use this duffle because IMO it feels to boyish for me like a man bag type. Not for me.
Both above is about air travel, now for road trips I'll gladly use both where it goes directly into my drunk until I reach destination without probs

Well, both my wife and I own hard and soft luggage. And to answer your questions:
Yes

2. model name and size
Alzer 70 x 3 and a brand new Bisten 70, a custom made trunk. A hat box, a few keepalls, and lots of purses (my wife of course).

We usually never go on a road trip, but when we do drive, we tend to use our car. More comfortable than a train. The Alzer fits perfectly in the trunk of our Range Rover Sport.
When we fly, we use some of it all, the alzer is usually always a must, and the keepall for carry-on.

We check in the hard sided luggage, and usually nothing happens to it, but we have had some bad experience with certain airlines. The Keepalls we always carry on.

(weight, size,etc)
If the weight is a problem, I always pay the excess weight. The size had never been a problem. I don't know, but they might be nicer to us because we tend to fly first class or business. Any experience that begs to differ?

d. did your luggage arrive in the same condition as you checked it in?It usually does, but we've had one time some luggage was stolen, and we raised a case in court. We won, but not even half of the loss was paid by the airline.

4. how did/do you plan to use your luggage?
For stays more than 5 days, we use the alzer, and keepalls. For weekends we tend to only use keepall, but it depends on what my wife is bringing and where we are going. We had to bring all three alzers to Paris Fashion week because of all her dresses, and I even bought a new keepall on the way home.

Keepall is our favourite. 45 or 55 with strap.

Because of the excellent quality Louis Vuitton products generally have.

No.

Pro:

People look at you :smile:

MR H

wow!! w/ all the hard side case that you have i should love to see your hard side case!!! most be fabulous to travel w/ all those alzer:drool::tup:

Yes, I do own luggage
2. model name and size

Alma Voyager GM
Mono Keepall 50 with strap
Graffiti Keepall
Sirius 70
Sirius 55
Amfar 3 Vanity Souple
Randonee
I take my luggage both when I fly or drive.

b. if you traveled by plane, did you check it in? Yes. I have checked all my pieces (except the graffiti keepall) at one time or another.
(weight, size,etc)
Never had any problems
d. did your luggage arrive in the same condition as you checked it in?
Yes, every time.
I use it whereever I travel whether it be an overnight business trip or a week long stay.
Keepall with strap
I like travelling with all LV luggage
The Alma GM is a big bag. I should have gotten the MM to use as a carryon, although I have carried on the GM. It's just that it gets very heavy.
I can't imagine traveling with hard cases. To me those are more for decoration! Also, don't be afraid to use it, check it, flaunt it. I love leaving an airport with three pieces of LV luggage and usually a good size LV tote or purse as well. People do look!

Sister has the keepall 55 and i wanted one as well. But ended up getting the keepall 60 bigger and more "manly" bag since it was bigger. i dont' travel that much but when i do, its something nice to take on a trip via plane/car. If i traveled more, i would probably get the Pegasus 60.

We own both Hardcase and Soft luggage.

2. model name and size
HARDCASE
Monogram Bisten 70
Mongram Bisten 65
Taiga Green Alzer 70

SOFT LUGGAGE
Red Epi Keepall 55
Red Randoone Grande

We also have some hardcase briefcases however this is a luggage question - briefcases are more mensware.

road, train, ship only

we never checkin our louis vuitton.

(weight, size,etc)
Bisten 65 was used on a first class flight and it got scratched, badly treated. Airline staff are very very JEALOUS - DO NOT TRUST THESE UNDERPAID THEIVES! Also TSA will damage your luggage on purpose and hack it to bits! TSA IS EVIL - do not trust these clowns. I have a friend who got his LV Pegus ripped by these baggage handling jokers! THEY ARE THE WORST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD. Also the Alzer in Taiga leather is 11.6kg empty! So the allowance is normally 20kg! Airline staff love to charge extra!

d. did your luggage arrive in the same condition as you checked it in?
NO - Damaged. See photos at end for damage to a friend's Pegas.

We only use our LV luggage on trips where we can carry/handle our luggage. I have paid staff at 5 star hotels to LEAVE MY STUFF ALONE! I don't want minimum wage workers handling my $30,000- worth of luggage. STAY AWAY.

Keepall - FANTASTIC PIECE!

The best in the world. Louis Vuitton HARDCASE and SOFT LUGGAGE is the best luggage in the world. Goyard are a bunch of snobs - lacking simple manners! Goyard staff are the reason Goyard is so small! LV ate Goyard for breakfast!

I do not regret my choices - I regret things I have not done!

If you want something to last a lifetime, something that is an heirloom, something that is a work of art. Go for an Alzer and/or Bisten. Personally the Bisten is for my husband (top tray is ideal for his suit). I have a Bisten in Monogram. They are amazing. YES - they are very expensive HOWEVER they will last a lifetime - so the cost per use is very low.

DO IT! Get some hardcase and you will never regret it!

Hermes makes the Kelly and Birken HOWEVER only Louis Vuitton makes the Alzer and Bisten. Hermes makes nothing in luggage that compares to hardcase. Goyard - the staff are rude.

When you go into an LV store with a Bisten or Alzer - you get the respect you deserve.

100_1127.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

NEVER CHECK IN LOUIS VUITTON LUGGAGE! THE JOKERS LIKE TO DAMAGE LV! THANK YOU TSA! YOU SUCK!

4785DSC09644.jpg

4785DSC09654.jpg

I own the LV Keepall 55 with the strap. It was a gift from my husband, and I love it. I use it for traveling ANYWHERE. It meets the requirement size for carryon luggage, so I do not check it. Honestly, I would never check LV or any other designer luggage (I've heard horror stories about checked LV luggage getting stolen). It is quite roomy. LV luggage is classic and so chic, I do not regret this piece. My husband has surprised me with pretty awesome gifts (cars, diamonds) but the Keepall luggage is one of my absolute favorites. I own LV bags, and the luggage is the next step up. I agree with Clarissa74, people definitely notice you when you are walking through the airport with LV luggage. Have fun deciding.

Attachments

• IMG00186-20110909-1633.jpg
    IMG00186-20110909-1633.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,778
  • IMG00188-20110909-1636.jpg
    IMG00188-20110909-1636.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 1,882
Whoa this is an old thread!

1. Soft Luggage
2. Pegase 55, Keepall 50 w/ Strap
a. Plane and car
b. No, carry-on only
c. Would not check in luggage.
d. My junk luggage gets ruined being checked in. I would never check-in my LV.
4. Weekend, week, overnight, everything!
5. Keepall because it can always fit. Sometimes my Pegase has to go below.
6. I could save money carrying-on with no baggage fee and look stylish at the same time :graucho:
7. Not at all!
8. The cover that comes with the Pegase is a life saver! I bought my Keepall pre-loved and highly recommend doing that. I never worry about the leather because it already has a dark patina! :flowers:

I only own a keepall 45 that I use occasionally as hand luggage for air travel. I like it's classic look, but to be honest, it's not the most practical hand luggage as it's relatively heavy, has no pockets or compartments (which I prefer), and I need to be a bit more careful with it to avoid staining or dirtying the vachetta. It's a great size for me though.

i have a mono keepall 50 with a strap that i bought pre-loved. i wanted it already broken in so i wouldn't worry/fret/freak out when something happens to it. because of this i'm very comfortable laying it on the floor of the airport or squishing it in the overhead bin. it's the perfect travel bag fro carry-on - IMO.

Please help. I currently have a macassar keepall 45 which i love but it's not large enough for a few day trip as a carry-on. So, I'm torn trying to decide if I should get the macassar keepall 55 or the pegase 55 with wheels. I'm a male and I like the look of the keepall. However, I'm concerned about the weight once it's packed and I'm walking around the aiport and rental cars. I would be wearing it messenger style to distribute the weight but I'm worried if I'm going to be fatigued and aching after 15 minutes. Obviously the Pegase 55 would be pain free since it has wheels but it's also 50% more money and a totally different look. I like how I can use the keepall for my gym bag and other items that you wouldn't ideally use a pegase suitcase for. Any advise from people with experience would GREATLY BE APPRECIATED!

Thanks

Great thread!
I have a question about LV luggage, do you find it wearing down or getting scuffed?
I am contemplating about getting a piece of luggage but a little worried about how it will wear and tear. I think it would be much harder to take care of and protect since it is much more subject to abuse than a handbag would be.

i use both hard and soft luggage - got a vintage stratos50 a few weeks ago, but have a keepall50 w/o strap and a keepall45 w/ strap, too. The luggage is perfect for a weekend and up to a whole week. The hardsided stratos i use if more formal clothes (suits, shirts) are required, for casual stuff (denims, t-shirts) i use the keepall50; the keepall45 is my usual carry-on when taking a plane.
My luggage is never checked, but the staff on board is always very helpful and sweet - they seem to like people with nice luggage.