Soft Spongy Leather verses Spongy Pebbled Leather

Snowmin

Sep 18, 2015
Soft spongy leather verses spongy pebbled leather.

I have read bad things about the former. Can anyone tell me whether there is a difference? Is spongy pebbled leather another to avoid?

Hi - I have a bag in spongy pebbled and it's a lush, thick yet soft, very tactile leather.

Nothing in soft spongy so I can't comment on that one.

Some leathers are better in small items, some in larger items like bags........softer leathers tend not to hold their shape so a bag may slouch accordingly but you can buy bag liners to help combat this.....the reference library/threads are good to look at for the different leathers in different styles.

I'm sure others will chime in to help you!

:smile:

I've had both (I think)

Soft spongey daria - prone to wrinkling, durable, weatherproof, lightweight, no leather smell, quite shiny, true black, no structure at all

Spongey pebbled mitzy - smelt of leather, dull grey although was actually black, head wearing, some soft structure although softens with use, quite thick, almost bomb proof

Hope that helps

I've had both (I think)

Soft spongey daria - prone to wrinkling, durable, weatherproof, lightweight, no leather smell, quite shiny, true black, no structure at all

Spongey pebbled mitzy - smelt of leather, dull grey although was actually black, head wearing, some soft structure although softens with use, quite thick, almost bomb proof

Hope that helps

Thanks MiniMabel, Louliu71 and jp23. It seems that spongy pebbled could be quite different from soft spongy

Thanks MiniMabel, Louliu71 and jp23. It seems that spongy pebbled could be quite different from soft spongy

You could try mailing M customer services? I had spongy leather on a daria hobo which was absolutely bullet proof, and looked like new even after a couple of years of regular use, but I can't remember the exact name for it I'm sorry.

You could try mailing M customer services? I had spongy leather on a daria hobo which was absolutely bullet proof, and looked like new even after a couple of years of regular use, but I can't remember the exact name for it I'm sorry.

Got reply from Mulberry:

"Both leathers have a pebbled effect, however, the soft spongy has much more of a shine. The spongy pebbled probably has a more consistent level of pebble.

Both Collonil Leather Spray and Gel can be used on both the above leathers as per the instructions on the care card provided.

We do hope this information helps and please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions."

This doesn't give me much. Oh well.

Got reply from Mulberry:

"Both leathers have a pebbled effect, however, the soft spongy has much more of a shine. The spongy pebbled probably has a more consistent level of pebble.

Both Collonil Leather Spray and Gel can be used on both the above leathers as per the instructions on the care card provided.

We do hope this information helps and please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions."

This doesn't give me much. Oh well.

No, it doesn't really answer the question does it - did you ask them which was the more robust? Isn't that what you wanted to know? I'd follow up with another question!

Soft spongey leather: post pilfered from the other Purseforum thread about different Mulberry leathers (hope MulberrieElsie doesn´t mind!):

Warning - Ellie is going to be brutally honest here............

SSL is basically a split leather (the hide thickness split) - basically its the equivalent of veneer rather than solid wood.

The process of tanning desiccates leather, the thinner the hide the greater the risk of drying out which invariably leads to splitting, cracking, peeling. No amount of polish/moisure from above will resolve this because it is the hide surface moving off the thinner membrane.

Im sorry to be blunt but to say I am not a fan of this leather is an understatement.

The question is whether spongy pebbled is a split leather also.

With the durability question in mind, this happened earlier today.

So, had graphite spongy pebbled baywater on arm, came around the corner of my house a little to close shall we say, slapped Bayswater down the side of the building and felt heart sink and a littl sick feeling appear, as I was sure I'd belted one side of her in a big way. Looked at side of bag. No damage, not a scuff. Was absolutely amazed. Can definitely say I didn't think that would happen.

Mine is very durable indeed if that helps :biggrin: