Soft Calf Tote - does anyone have this one?

sandc

likes giraffes
Sep 16, 2009
I love the soft calfskin leather, but I haven't found a bag yet that has it that I love. This one looks good, but I'm not sure how it will wear or what I think of the buckles in front. Are they too much?

8710106c62e1cf197f2a1db8272ceda5_best.jpg

Hi Sandc, I love this leather too, enough that I ordered this very bag from Bergdorfs a couple of months ago. And then I sent it back. I loved the bag, but two things bothered me: first, the bag is soft enough that anything you put in it can cause the leather to bulge out and look odd; second, the leather looks like it will scratch really easily. Just taking it out do the packaging caused minor scratching. It was so disappointing, because I loved the look and I really like the bag's design (like the Saffiano totes with the double zippers but in a softer leather), but there you have it.

I hate to be a downer, but wanted to share my experience. If the bag had been around longer and people said the scratching developed into a beautiful patina, I probably would have kept it, but it's so new, there's very little info out there.

p.s. I like giraffes too!

Hi Sandc, I love this leather too, enough that I ordered this very bag from Bergdorfs a couple of months ago. And then I sent it back. I loved the bag, but two things bothered me: first, the bag is soft enough that anything you put in it can cause the leather to bulge out and look odd; second, the leather looks like it will scratch really easily. Just taking it out do the packaging caused minor scratching. It was so disappointing, because I loved the look and I really like the bag's design (like the Saffiano totes with the double zippers but in a softer leather), but there you have it.

I hate to be a downer, but wanted to share my experience. If the bag had been around longer and people said the scratching developed into a beautiful patina, I probably would have kept it, but it's so new, there's very little info out there.

p.s. I like giraffes too!

Thanks for the info. Bummer! I ordered a tote in the glace calf leather from bluefly not too long ago. A different tote. I loved the leather, but the tote shape and hardware wasn't working, so I sent it back. I was hoping this would be better. If they just made the saffiano double zip in a softer leather, it would be the perfect bag! They need a good middle ground.

Thanks for the info. Bummer! I ordered a tote in the glace calf leather from bluefly not too long ago. A different tote. I loved the leather, but the tote shape and hardware wasn't working, so I sent it back. I was hoping this would be better. If they just made the saffiano double zip in a softer leather, it would be the perfect bag! They need a good middle ground.

I totally agree -- I keep hoping they'll do this tote in the Vitello Daino leather, which I love. Softer than Saffiano leather, but still pretty durable.

catsinthebag said:
I totally agree -- I keep hoping they'll do this tote in the Vitello Daino leather, which I love. Softer than Saffiano leather, but still pretty durable.

Hye i went to a Prada Factory Outlet in Germany yesterday. Most of the bag collection is of Vitello Daino :smile: i bought a bag which looks like saffiano lux tote - double zipped and button closure. Looks great!!! here's some pictures.. Have Prada stopped producing Vit Daino leather bags? because on the website only the BN 1713 tote is made of Vit Daino ( this model also available atthe FO, but with past season colours..)

Attachments

• image-2627305593.jpg
    image-2627305593.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 1,409
  • image-1536506023.jpg
    image-1536506023.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 1,394
  • image-3655237429.jpg
    image-3655237429.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 1,434
  • image-807404441.jpg
    image-807404441.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 1,380
Hye i went to a Prada Factory Outlet in Germany yesterday. Most of the bag collection is of Vitello Daino :smile: i bought a bag which looks like saffiano lux tote - double zipped and button closure. Looks great!!! here's some pictures.. Have Prada stopped producing Vit Daino leather bags? because on the website only the BN 1713 tote is made of Vit Daino ( this model also available atthe FO, but with past season colours..)
Thanks for posting this! As far as I know, Prada has not stopped making Vit. Daino bags, but I haven't seen the Saf. Lux tote design in Vit. Daino. Maybe they're not selling it in the US? I also haven't been to an outlet lately, so perhaps this design in this particular leather is an outlet-only bag.

Yes they have a Prada outlet here in the US. I've been to the one in Woodbury Commons Outlet in upstate New York. The blue bag you have in the picture... I got that in black from the outlet this past December. I love that bag because it has a strap and can wear it as a cross body. They have a few of the Vit Daino bags when I went there but on black and red only.

mrquizon said:
Yes they have a Prada outlet here in the US. I've been to the one in Woodbury Commons Outlet in upstate New York. The blue bag you have in the picture... I got that in black from the outlet this past December. I love that bag because it has a strap and can wear it as a cross body. They have a few of the Vit Daino bags when I went there but on black and red only.

I go to the outlet here in Germany almost every week. They always have new colours every time i came in addition to the coloursthat i have seen the previous time.
Theyalso r hving sale for shoes this time!! Super pretty prada pumps or heels and boots and flats LOL range from 75 euro to 200 euros!!

kells102 said:
Is the outlet in Woodbury any good? I live in Albany NY so it's not far from me...wondering if I should make a trip soon!

Maybe u should and show us ur haul!! :P
My place they also have great collection of long wallets in saffiano lux! almost 40% cheaper than retail :smile:

I love the soft calfskin leather, but I haven't found a bag yet that has it that I love. This one looks good, but I'm not sure how it will wear or what I think of the buckles in front. Are they too much?

8710106c62e1cf197f2a1db8272ceda5_best.jpg

1. I've heard the soft calf wears long and well.
2. The buckles are not too much, but the ends of the strap there may curl.
???

BTW isn't there a pic of Kate Middleton wearing this bag? (don't laugh) Hmm. Not that you have to like her, just helps to see mod pics on people, as well as see how the bag wears over time. You could google "Kate Middleton Prada bag" for instance.....just to see how it wears...