Sofa/fabric for beach house?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Save 25% off all Jeans at Nordstrom. Sale ends Sunday at noon EST. Click or tap to shop the sale!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Can someone recommend a fabric for a beach house sofa? We've looked at the Sunbrella fabrics at Pottery barn but the choices are limited. A local store said that, while Sunbrella resists fading, it may not be the best for long-term heavy use. We have pets and family that would come over. We need something durable. Any ideas?

2. #2 Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    We live on a lake and our sofas (great room and my hubby's den) are Pottery Barn cotton twill slip covers. They have the look of upholstery but give us the convenience of removing to wash if necessary. (The great room covers are white).

Slipcovers also will give you the flexibility of changing the covers without replacing the frame, that's a huge cost saver.

Pottery Barn offers a lot of options that would probably work for you.

(BTW - we are planning a move to the beach this furniture will come with us)

3. I've always avoided slipcovers because the older styles tend to look sloppy over time and we have a very contemporary design aesthetic. Do the Pottery Barn ones hold up well without looking too loose?

4. My house has a modern/contemporary vibe. We have the PB Comfort Square Arm sofa in the family room and a similar piece in my husband's den. Both look like upholstered pieces. Def not your grandmother's slipcovers ;)

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/pb-comfort-square-slipcovered-sofa-collection/?pkey=cupholstered-slipcovered-sofas&&cupholstered-slipcovered-sofas

If you live near a PB, this sofa is probably on the floor. Ours has down filled cushions but there is also an option for foam.

I think you might be happy with this option.