Socrate & Frivole (4 flowers) BTF rings - which finger??

Feb 25, 2007
Hello all!

I hope everyone is keeping safe and well. I need your collective sage advice. I'm looking at purchasing both of these rings (I know they're similar, but the Socrate in WG is different enough from the Frivole in YG to me :P), but I don't know which finger to wear them on.

Both will be worn on the right hand. I think the ring finger looks the most elegant, but the middle finger is more comfortable. I was intially thinking about wearing the Socrate on the ring finger because I think I would use it more for special occasions, and then the Frivole on the middle finger because I would wear it everyday. But not having them both the same size does/would bother me to no end, so I've settled on purchasing both in the same size.

Sine my middle is bigger than my ring finger, I thought about just purchasing both for the middle and then sizing them down to fit the ring finger later if needed. I'm not sure if this is possible, but I'm assuming it's a bit easier to make them smaller than larger (perhaps with sizing beads or whatever will least alter the integrity of the rings)?

I've been agonizing over this for over 3 years!! The Socrate is my dream ring so I didn't want to pull the trigger until I was absolutely sure. And then the Frivole came out, which only added to the pressure of making the right decision now that I'm looking at both!

Please let me know your thoughts - TIA!!

Reactions: hhw
Hi! I have the Frivole Pave WG BTF ring and love it. I wear it all the time, casual, think skinny jeans and a sweater now as it is winter. The flowers are whimsical and make it a casual look.

That said, my thoughts based on your questions...
I wear my Frivole on my ring finger. Like you, I think that's where it looks the best. I do not like rings in the middle finger as for me, I think it highlights the middle finger which is the biggest finger. I think a more elegant look is a bold ring on the ring finger.

I would not buy a ring planning on sizing down later. Also, you are not 100% sure VCA they will do it. For my Frivole, I am in between sizes, 51 & 52. The SA said VCA would size the 52 down for me, to a 51 1/2. He even mailed it to VCA who then told him they will not size it down and mailed it back. VCA said it would distort the angle of the flowers by resizing. Looking now, I supposed they are correct. If they had sized down my ring, the distance between the two flowers then and also the angle would change. And then I would probably complain it's now a Frankenstein ring! :smile: So, be 100% sure it is doable if you really want to size down. For me, I always buy rings for my ring finger. I bought the size 52 and love it. Love this blingy ring!

My comment on purchasing two floral rings... For me, the Frivole and Socrates are too similar. I choose Frivole because I like bold rings and Socrates it too dainty for me. I think it's too tiny to make a statement and I prefer statement rings. You may prefer dainty though, but I would suggest you try on the Frivole Pave BTF. You may fall in love. Also, people mix YG and WG all the time, so to me, having both these, even with one in YG and the other in WG are too similar.

Last thought... I honestly think once you get a pave ring, you will fall in love and not like the plain gold one. So... since you like diamonds and you like Frivole, I vote to get one ring... Frivole pave BTF WG.

That's my two cents.. maybe five cents. :biggrin:
Sorry for the long opinionated post but I did want to share a different point of view. I hope that helps. All VCA is beautiful.

Reactions: hhw
Hi! I have the Frivole Pave WG BTF ring and love it. I wear it all the time, casual, think skinny jeans and a sweater now as it is winter. The flowers are whimsical and make it a casual look.

That said, my thoughts based on your questions...
I wear my Frivole on my ring finger. Like you, I think that's where it looks the best. I do not like rings in the middle finger as for me, I think it highlights the middle finger which is the biggest finger. I think a more elegant look is a bold ring on the ring finger.

I would not buy a ring planning on sizing down later. Also, you are not 100% sure VCA they will do it. For my Frivole, I am in between sizes, 51 & 52. The SA said VCA would size the 52 down for me, to a 51 1/2. He even mailed it to VCA who then told him they will not size it down and mailed it back. VCA said it would distort the angle of the flowers by resizing. Looking now, I supposed they are correct. If they had sized down my ring, the distance between the two flowers then and also the angle would change. And then I would probably complain it's now a Frankenstein ring! :smile: So, be 100% sure it is doable if you really want to size down. For me, I always buy rings for my ring finger. I bought the size 52 and love it. Love this blingy ring!

My comment on purchasing two floral rings... For me, the Frivole and Socrates are too similar. I choose Frivole because I like bold rings and Socrates it too dainty for me. I think it's too tiny to make a statement and I prefer statement rings. You may prefer dainty though, but I would suggest you try on the Frivole Pave BTF. You may fall in love. Also, people mix YG and WG all the time, so to me, having both these, even with one in YG and the other in WG are too similar.

Last thought... I honestly think once you get a pave ring, you will fall in love and not like the plain gold one. So... since you like diamonds and you like Frivole, I vote to get one ring... Frivole pave BTF WG.

That's my two cents.. maybe five cents. :biggrin:
Sorry for the long opinionated post but I did want to share a different point of view. I hope that helps. All VCA is beautiful.
Hi BigAyoka,

Thanks so much for your reply! You've given me a lot of good food for thought. I never even thought about getting the Frivole pave BTF WG. In the past I always thought it was out of my price range, but you're right, if I just get the 1 ring instead of the other 2 then it works!

I did try on the Frivole pave BTF ring a few years ago, but at the time I felt like the ring was wearing me instead of me wearing the ring, and I also felt a little self-conscious wearing it - I think largely due to my age at the time. Although I know I've worked hard to be able to purchase it, I wasn't sure others would think the same. And even though I know it doesn't matter one iota what others think, I knew subconsciously it would likely affect my willingness to wear it. All that to say, now that I'm a bit older (sigh), perhaps this won't even be a consideration anymore! I'll have to try it on again once we can travel.

And also thank you for your thoughts on which finger to wear it on! You're right, I think the Frivole pave BTF works best on the ring finger - I like the balance of a substantial piece on the more "delicate" ring finger. But since the Socrate and 4 flower Frivole are more dainty, I don't think they run into the same issue and still work on the middle finger. But knowing that you cannot size down, I'll have to really think about this (that is if I don't re-set my focus on the 1 Frivole pave BTF)!

Reactions: BigAkoya
I have both rings— the socrate in wg and the frivole but not pave two flower btf ring. To me they are totally different looks.
I wear mine on the middle finger— love it on the longest finger. Think it gives it a very cool vibe.

Hi BigAyoka,

Thanks so much for your reply! You've given me a lot of good food for thought. I never even thought about getting the Frivole pave BTF WG. In the past I always thought it was out of my price range, but you're right, if I just get the 1 ring instead of the other 2 then it works!

I did try on the Frivole pave BTF ring a few years ago, but at the time I felt like the ring was wearing me instead of me wearing the ring, and I also felt a little self-conscious wearing it - I think largely due to my age at the time. Although I know I've worked hard to be able to purchase it, I wasn't sure others would think the same. And even though I know it doesn't matter one iota what others think, I knew subconsciously it would likely affect my willingness to wear it. All that to say, now that I'm a bit older (sigh), perhaps this won't even be a consideration anymore! I'll have to try it on again once we can travel.

And also thank you for your thoughts on which finger to wear it on! You're right, I think the Frivole pave BTF works best on the ring finger - I like the balance of a substantial piece on the more "delicate" ring finger. But since the Socrate and 4 flower Frivole are more dainty, I don't think they run into the same issue and still work on the middle finger. But knowing that you cannot size down, I'll have to really think about this (that is if I don't re-set my focus on the 1 Frivole pave BTF)!
Hi! I'm glad it was helpful. One last thought I want to share...
On your comment about wearing an expensive ring... only you really know that. Most people don't even know VCA and those that do know the brand will admire it. To most people, it's just a nice diamond flower ring which you can get anywhere like this one: Shy Creation Diamond Flower Ring 5/8 ct tw 14K White Gold | Jared

Flowers are very whimsical and casual, they are not formal like big estate pieces in my mind. So pretend the Frivole Pave BTF ring is just a beautiful, no-brand-name, whimsical flower ring that you can wear daily. I hope that helps you see it in a different light. I get compliments on my ring and just say "thank you". I never mention it's VCA. One lady even said "what a fun ring". I said "yes it is, I love it". For all I know, she probably thought I bought it at Claire's. :smile: The VCA brand is for me and my enjoyment.

On a side note... if you DO want to flash the VCA brand, another great BTF ring is the Magic Pave Alhambra in WG. I love that ring too and almost bought it. But it felt a bit like I was wearing logo jewelry, so I purchased the Frivole instead. I also fell in love with the Frivole pave BTF after being inspired by a posted in this forum. I am thinking of my next BTF ring, and the Magic Pave is a top contender. The only downside for me is that ring screams VCA for folks who know. But most do not know, so maybe people will only think it's a fun four leaf clover ring. I plan to try it on again next time I go to a VCA.

Good luck to you! Dreaming is part of the fun of buying jewelry... it's part of the journey to making your perfect collection, so don't worry if you are over thinking it (I overthink my list all the time and what I will wear with what piece). VCA is expensive, so buy only the pieces you really love, and don't settle for a cheaper piece just to have something VCA now.